DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Argh stop me - so close to buying an M2Z

So, have we succeeded in the halting process???

Grrr. I’m now back looking at the 2P - that thing is capable of some extraordinary photos.

I’m almost certainly going to get one of them - I just don’t know which still!

First world problems and all that!

Reactions: swoermck
I’ve got an MA. I don’t need an M2 but got the Zoom looks like so much fun.

The photographer in me says go for the pro but other than pure IQ it doesn’t particularly do anything more that the Air (except for the overall M2 improvements).

The Zoom though - that opens up so many possibilities and coupled with the general advantages of the M2 - improved range, extra flight modes and most importantly much longer flight times I am quickly caving in!

I love the Air and would keep it for when I am travelling light (cycling, hiking etc) and take the Zoom when I’m in the car.

Will report back if (when) I’ve made the purchase :)
Get the enterprise.

@supernicko - thanks for the feedback. Yes I have s Canon 5D III and plenty of L glass!

But the Zoom does interesting stuff the Pro can’t. Except for the various advantages that the M2 has in general all the Pro can do is take better pictures in some circumstances.

We both know though that a good camera doesn’t automatically mean good pictures and I am more than capable of taking decent photos with the Zoom and Air cameras.
Exactly Danny - and exactly why i bought the ZOOM :) i wanna do video not stills - and im using the zoom function a whole lot!!! After breaking my 50mm 1.4 im even using my iPhone xsmax for portraits and its killer hahaha. Mavic is like the iphone - best camera is one you carry to take the shot! (coming from a guy with a camera bag that exceeds the carry on limit)

EDIT: ahh just saw you got the pro - i too considered the hq as a zoom option - will effectively do the same i think just with a bit of setting smashing :) have fun

Exactly Danny - and exactly why i bought the ZOOM :) i wanna do video not stills - and im using the zoom function a whole lot!!! After breaking my 50mm 1.4 im even using my iPhone xsmax for portraits and its killer hahaha. Mavic is like the iphone - best camera is one you carry to take the shot! (coming from a guy with a camera bag that exceeds the carry on limit)

EDIT: ahh just saw you got the pro - i too considered the hq as a zoom option - will effectively do the same i think just with a bit of setting smashing :) have fun

It was a close run thing. They are both incredible. Just had the first flight with the M2P and it’s brilliant. Winds were high and very contrasting skies but handled it all well. Unfortunately I left it in jpeg only mode but will grab the photos off it in a bit. Didn’t do any filming at this stage - just wanted to get a feel for it.

That said I put 4 batteries through the Air straight after and that little thing is just so much fun. No way I could get rid of it and of course as you say, it packs down so small even compared to the M2.

Yes, if I had to do it over again, I would have waited a little and gone with the Zoom over the Pro. As it were, I jumped on the chance to have a Hasselblad camera, but as many, many have attested over the past several months, it's not all it was cracked up to be. Being able to zoom would be far more useful and fun to me. Lesson learned.

I love the Zoom. I spent a year flying a hexacopter equipped with a GoPro, then after that, another 2 years flying a Phantom 4. The variable focus lens on the Zoom has added a whole new dimension to flying. I didn't really expect to be as impressed as I am.

The 4X optical + lossless digital zoom is what I really like. I pretty well always fly with the camera set to 1080P/30 now (which is required to use the lossless digital zoom). I don't always film my flights, but when cruising along at 300 feet, it's nice to be able to go into a hover and take a MUCH closer look at something interesting on the ground without having to fly down and then back up again.

Yes, if I had to do it over again, I would have waited a little and gone with the Zoom over the Pro. As it were, I jumped on the chance to have a Hasselblad camera, but as many, many have attested over the past several months, it's not all it was cracked up to be. Being able to zoom would be far more useful and fun to me. Lesson learned.

I did go with the Pro in the end - last minute change of mind. Bloody love it even though I only have one battery on it so far.

If by some small chance I get a Christmas bonus this year I may get a Zoom as well :)

I´ve spent 2 weeks testing both the Pro and Zoom. Coming from the original MP1 I was set on the PRO before the test, but ended up chosing the Zoom instead. I´m very, very satisfied, it´s a superb drone with a great camera for 90% of situations if you know what you´re doing.

Aside from a couple of issues with the PRO gimbal (moving during fast flying was the worse of all), I´ve found the overall difference in image quality not enough to beat the versatility of the Zoom.

For some reason I felt the Zoom camera/gimbal more refined and evolved, maybe because DJI already has a good experience with the MP1. It´s light, nimble and precise, but only time will tell if that impression is correct or not.

Yes, the PRO takes slightly better stills overall in good light, and considerably superior footage in no-light. In low light I´ve found the M2Zoom better than my MP1, which was already a good photo taker.

I´ve got some pretty good shots at dusk and dawn taken with the 12MP sensor of the original Mavic so I consider that as a gain. Hyperlight also works for night stills, very low noise and close to the PROs Hyperlight in fact.

Of course in MANUAL you have a lot more control with the PRO so for those whose majority of work is done in low light it´s a no-brainer. But then I´d opt for the P4P and not the MP2Pro as it´s superior, and yet still only acceptable and nothing to blow your mind.

But the Super Res 48MP feature just got me. It´s amazing, and totally blows anything you can take with the PRO, except in very low light as in really deep into the night. Yes I love taking photos and films at night but that´s only 20-30% of my work so I feel there´s no compromise, as I said it´s better than the MP1 anyway and if I need something really good for night photo/film I´ll just take my P4P.

Reactions: Wacker2611
But the Super Res 48MP feature just got me. It´s amazing, and totally blows anything you can take with the PRO, except in very low light as in really deep into the night.

Seriously? You really think that Super Res "blows away" anything you can take with the Pro? I have a feeling there are many on this board that will beg to differ.

Simply put. Video is a major thing with drones. Sacrificing video zoom for slightly better stills is not practical imho

"No way I could get rid of it and of course as you say, it packs down so small even compared to the M2"

Both are M2's.

Simply put. Video is a major thing with drones. Sacrificing video zoom for slightly better stills is not practical imho
I actually agree with that. I bought into all the marketing hype about the Pro when I should have just waited a few weeks before making a decision. I would have learned that the slightly better camera on the Pro cannot come close to compensating for the lack of a zoom feature.

I actually agree with that. I bought into all the marketing hype about the Pro when I should have just waited a few weeks before making a decision. I would have learned that the slightly better camera on the Pro cannot come close to compensating for the lack of a zoom feature.

It depends on whether a) the HQ crop factor of nearly 2:1 over FOV mode will be an adequate substitute for a proper zoom as this is after all lossless.

From what I’ve seen as well a 200% Zoom post on the HQ footage in some circumstances at least bests the IQ from the 4x digital zoom straight from the MPZ.

To be honest I think I’d be happy with either drone but as a photographer at heart the dynamic range of the 2P’s sensor and its colour rendition is just lovely.

If I had the Zoom though I would be flying that and enjoying it also and I am just lucky I can have either in my hanger :)

Yes, you're lucky indeed. My marriage can survive one new drone at a time -- two would be pushing it.
With any luck for all of us, Mavic 3 will have both (Hasselblad with zoom) so we won't have to make the choice next time.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gottawonder