DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Arrested for flying a drone; UPDATE video

Child B just wants the freedom we were promised in the constitution.

That attitude is one of the problems. The constitution promises nothing on this subject, and the laws being infringed by the county in this case have nothing to do with the constitution.

Perhaps these public servants have an illegal operation somewhere in the park and they are worried that some drone pilot may get footage of it. How's that for a conspiracy theory?

Perhaps these public servants have an illegal operation somewhere in the park and they are worried that some drone pilot may get footage of it. How's that for a conspiracy theory?
Welcome to the forum Fire Fox .
I doubt that very much. :)

Reactions: Thomas B
That attitude is one of the problems. The constitution promises nothing on this subject, and the laws being infringed by the county in this case have nothing to do with the constitution.

I agree that drones are Not enumerated in the constitution and find drones in general to be much less important to freedom and liberty than actual civil rights. Judges don’t care about drones but they do tend to care passionately about unlawful search and seizure.

however, detaining people without reasonable suspicion of a crime is a 4th amendment issue. And there may even be a 1a issue if uas is used for news gathering.

the constitution doesn’t Mention drones but drone operators can certainly encounter constitutional issues.

the constitution doesn’t Mention drones but drone operators can certainly encounter constitutional issues.

Agreed. I was simply cautioning against the seemingly widespread misapprehension that there exists a constitutional right to fly drones in the NAS.

Sorry. I thought i posed the other thread in phantompilots forum...my mistake.
Oopsies.
No and I thought it was there too till it was posted yesterday and put a link to this thread. Couldn't find the others quick.

I'm a cop and am still baffled by the behavior of these rangers. Are they actually sworn police officers? A quick google search shows a few things for those park rangers, including two that were fired. They observed a traffic violation off of park property and attempted a traffic stop. Guy just continued home. They cited him. They weren't fired (according to their command) for the traffic stop but for being unprofessional during the stop. Each state is different but it sort of reminds me of something the way college campus police would be here in Maryland.

I'm a cop and am still baffled by the behavior of these rangers. Are they actually sworn police officers? A quick google search shows a few things for those park rangers, including two that were fired. They observed a traffic violation off of park property and attempted a traffic stop. Guy just continued home. They cited him. They weren't fired (according to their command) for the traffic stop but for being unprofessional during the stop. Each state is different but it sort of reminds me of something the way college campus police would be here in Maryland.

Yes, they are actual police officers. It's an atypical arrangement. They are MCOLES certified officers with actual arrest powers and they carry guns. They call themselves "Rangers." They operate as a local police department under the authority of the county commissioners. I'm not certain there is any other police departments in the state that use this exact model. It's basically like a city police force....except it's for the county......but NOT under the jurisdiction of the Sheriff's office.

The case you referenced is interesting. The person they followed home was the spouse of the local president of the NAACP, and that is apparently what got them fired. The fired officers later sued successfully for wrongful termination. It was settled out of court for $450K.....$400K of which came from the general fund, and $50K from insurance.

If I didn't mention it recently, I am a firefighter and an instructor that teaches other police and firefighters how to safely fly drones (and pass part 107.) I've worked in public safety for over 20 years.

I travel a lot and love launching drones in different countries to see great places. But before doing so, I read many different drone owners articles and reviews to be sure of their actions.
When I read different articles, I often come across foreign ones, and I use TranslateGoogle to read them, a service that often helps me. Everything is fast and quality. I sincerely recommend it.Thumbswayup;)
Having read many articles, I know in which countries and places you can launch a drone so as not to break the law.?

Reactions: pelagic_one
The attitude displayed by the police only exists, as in any business or organization, with the consent or even encouragement of those at the top. Show me any group that disrespects their customers or the public in general, and i will show you an owner/manager that fosters that behavior.

Sue the failures in authority personally and make it very public as to the reason the losers are being sued... Only when you make it a personal problem for the inept's with authority will anything change....

Sue the failures in authority personally and make it very public as to the reason the losers are being sued... Only when you make it a personal problem for the inept's with authority will anything change....

But sue them for what, exactly?

Reactions: Lapeer20m
NAtional Parks are off limits when operating from land under the parks authority.
You can overfly it though, and keep to FAA drone rules . . . bear in mind that doesn't allow too long a flights into the parks as VLOS would be say 500m max ?
Maybe a bit further with strobes.

Funny you ask about the Grand Canyon as it does have at least some no fly zones allotted to it by the FAA . . . don't think it's ALL the park, but the high tourist flight corridors and other such areas.

A small section of map with a NFZ was posted in another thread recently, maybe someone US based can do this again for you.

Also for the DJI mini? A toy drone ?

Thank you, Lapeer20m, for keeping the American spirit alive. We never cease to thank your veterans, but Americans like you sacrifice your comforts to uphold the law of the land; Your legal action is a check on corruption and rogue individuals. In this case, you are a hero to drone pilots.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JesseLaw