DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Arrested for flying a drone; UPDATE video

It’s so very sad when you hear people in authority talk in terms of “We” and “They” such as was heard on the radio call. Clearly that conversation demonstrated these people are not fit to be public servants. Some sort of disciplinary action should be taken against them.
The discussion of retaliation isn't welcome either. I guess they don't realize it's not their park; it belongs to the people.

Reactions: Lapeer20m
it seems to me that if you give people a uniform and a badge,then any semblance of common sense goes out of the window
Apparently you’ve never worn a uniform, because this is as far from the truth as it gets. I’ve been a LEO in NYC for almost 24yrs and take offense to your generalization. Are there some that don’t have common sense, sure but so does every job. Your generalization of all that wear a uniform is not just wrong it’s pretty **** ignorant. Most of us that wear a uniform have common sense and many are also drone pilots ourselves. I myself wouldn’t have collared the guy for this and if there supposedly were laws and policy in place then they should’ve just asked the guy to stop flying and if the guy complied, well see ya and have a nice day. These guys just seem like they are ignorant and have nothing better to do.

app

Apparently you’ve never worn a uniform, because this is as far from the truth as it gets. I’ve been a LEO in NYC for almost 24yrs and take offense to your generalization. Are there some that don’t have common sense, sure but so does every job. Your generalization of all that wear a uniform is not just wrong it’s pretty **** ignorant. Most of us that wear a uniform have common sense and many are also drone pilots ourselves. I myself wouldn’t have collared the guy for this and if there supposedly were laws and policy in place then they should’ve just asked the guy to stop flying and if the guy complied, well see ya and have a nice day. These guys just seem like they are ignorant and have nothing better to do.
@Alky1229
thank,you for your reply if you look at my post#16 in this thread i was not referring to proper LEOs, but the rangers who think they are LEOs i have great respect for police officers

Last edited:
I have hiked every corner of the Grand Canyon, now I want to take my drone out there. How cool would it be to go down 5000 feet to the river with direct vision (sort of-at least to the antenna). No trees in the way of the signal. I think if you stay out side the park there is still enough "Canyon" left to navigate. The remainder of the park is Indian reservation and they dont have the same rules/regs.
You might be able to take Route 10 north of Fraizier Wells, to get to a takeoff spot to photograph the canyon. That is Indian reservation so their approval would be required.

Reactions: E90RAW
You might be able to take Route 10 north of Fraizier Wells, to get to a takeoff spot to photograph the canyon. That is Indian reservation so their approval would be required.

The Special Flight Rules zone extends around 10 miles from the river. That's not going to work.

Reactions: E90RAW
Thanks Lapeer20m!

National Parks should have 'drone friendly' days, where we can go and enjoy the way we want. Seems part of the issues at GC are helicopters that fly through so often.

@Alky1229
thank,you for your reply if you look at my post#16 in this thread i was not referring to proper LEOs, but the rangers who think they are LEOs i have great respect for police officers
Not all rangers think they are LEO. Your statement was just too broad, despite the context!

Not all rangers think they are LEO. Your statement was just too broad, despite the context!
@Ranger i have taken your comments on board and to that end i have altered my post to reflect them and i am sorry for any one i offended

@Ranger i have taken your comments on board and to that end i have altered my post to reflect them and i am sorry for any one i offended

Thanks! I've had to deal with drones at the park a few times; all went well. It was there I saw a Spark for the first time and then bought one!

Reactions: old man mavic
I don’t understand how drones can be so offensive but all of the Bigfoot trucks and off-road vehicles in the video are welcome.

Reactions: WWMav
Yeah! I hope somebody here in NJ pushes back based on this to challenge the "drone ban" in our state and county parks... although I believe NJ also passed a law/reg at the state level, so it'll be more of an uphill battle.

It’s so very sad when you hear people in authority talk in terms of “We” and “They” such as was heard on the radio call. Clearly that conversation demonstrated these people are not fit to be public servants. Some sort of disciplinary action should be taken against them.

Are you LEO? I have heard "us and them" for decades, from some of the best LEO's in the US. Was it you, or them?

It a shame that the Authorities are try to make criminals out of citizens trying to have a good time.
Lapeer20m, you're guilty of breaking one of the oldest rules out there..... "Contempt of cop". Sadly there are too many of them out there that think this way. There are also many that don't, thankfully.
agree

my comments were not directed at LEOs i respect the work that they do often in very difficult circumstances...
I respect LEOs too. Many of them are my cousins, and I’ve represented quite a few others as a lawyer, mostly when I was a prosecutor. But what I do know is that a disproportionate share of them seem to be bigoted and racist and I can’t quite figure out why. Not trying to make a political statement just saying what I’ve seen in my practice. I will always defend the police, except when they exercise racist practices. Which unfortunately seems to be very often these days.

I respect LEOs too. Many of them are my cousins, and I’ve represented quite a few others as a lawyer, mostly when I was a prosecutor. But what I do know is that a disproportionate share of them seem to be bigoted and racist and I can’t quite figure out why. Not trying to make a political statement just saying what I’ve seen in my practice. I will always defend the police, except when they exercise racist practices. Which unfortunately seems to be very often these days.

I don’t want this to be a cop bashing thread. I appreciate your experience but mine has been different. I have worked public safety for more than 20 years and in my experience, the vast majority of police officers are good hardworking people trying to do the right thing.

I imagine that the officers involved in this particular incident are good people too but perhaps they could use a little refresher especially when it comes to reasonable suspicion. I am confident they have all received drone specific training now.

Sounds like adults acting like kids at the park.
Child A: You can’t fly your drone here.
Child B: Yes I can.
Child A: The rules says you can’t.
Child B: There’s no rules that says I can’t.
Child A writes own rules.
Child A: There, the rules says you can’t fly here.
Child B talks to an adult.
Adults talks to Child A: You can’t make your own rules. *rips rule*
Child A writes another rule.
Child A: Ok, you can fly there, there and there, but not here, here and here. Cool?

Did I sum it right?
I disagree, the drone pilots did the right thing. if the police and the county just unilaterally and illegally stop you from flying in an area you CAN fly in, and ARREST you for doing so, then fighting for your rights is NOT childish. it's actually the right thing to do otherwise tomorrow police will be arresting any drone pilot flying ANYWHERE if they just don't like it just because they CAN. they are not gods and we all have to abide by the law whether we like it or not...

Reactions: Lapeer20m

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Allen25