DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Artifacts From Increasing Video Speed

moldorf

Reactions
a lot of my videos are landscape, usually shot from 250-350 feet above the landscape and looping around home point at max VLOS (maybe a bit further when is very remote areas)

what that creates are 12-20 minute videos that would be fairly boring. But much more interesting after chopping out the hovering while I adjust settings, and then speeding up the video so the landscape moves by more quickly. I usually can reduce 12-20 minute videos down to 3-5 minute videos. The speed increase can vary between 2X, 3X, & 4X

what that tends to create are some artifacts, especially on landscapes that are more uniform, like sagebrush or rockslides or forests. The artifacts are a wavering or fluttering or an oscillation, especially around the edges of the video. Overheads of vineyards with the progressive rows can cause a lot of noise. I have used Davinci Resolve, VSDC, VideoProc....even Movie Maker Pro. They all create similar artifacts. It seems that VSDC does the best job of mitigating. Some videos have very little noise; others have more. I have encountered this in 4K video shot by the Mini 2, Mini 3, and Mavic 3. The raw video is fine; the edits. not so much

is this just going to be the inevitable result of speeding up during rendering? Is this common? Will any software do better than VSDC or Resolve?

Reactions: mavictk
I'm far from the DR expert but in Resolve are you using Optical Flow?

Can you post an example? The type of artifacts you're describing sound like compression artifacts, like maybe your export settings need some tweaking to maximize quality. If you are indeed exporting at the 4K high quality to match your "raw" video, you generally shouldn't see artifacts just from speeding up your footage, so I'd wager something else is going on.

I'm far from the DR expert but in Resolve are you using Optical Flow?
I only have the free version of Resolve....and I though OF was used in slow motion...?

I'm editing for increasing speed

Last edited:
I only have the free version of Resolve....and I though OF was used in slow motion...?
or Speed Ramping. I have a pretty powerful machine so I try to use it as often as I can. As mentioned, we'll probably have to see your video to understand better.

a lot of my videos are landscape, usually shot from 250-350 feet above the landscape and looping around home point at max VLOS (maybe a bit further when is very remote areas)

what that creates are 12-20 minute videos that would be fairly boring. But much more interesting after chopping out the hovering while I adjust settings, and then speeding up the video so the landscape moves by more quickly. I usually can reduce 12-20 minute videos down to 3-5 minute videos. The speed increase can vary between 2X, 3X, & 4X

what that tends to create are some artifacts, especially on landscapes that are more uniform, like sagebrush or rockslides or forests. The artifacts are a wavering or fluttering or an oscillation, especially around the edges of the video. Overheads of vineyards with the progressive rows can cause a lot of noise. I have used Davinci Resolve, VSDC, VideoProc....even Movie Maker Pro. They all create similar artifacts. It seems that VSDC does the best job of mitigating. Some videos have very little noise; others have more. I have encountered this in 4K video shot by the Mini 2, Mini 3, and Mavic 3. The raw video is fine; the edits. not so much

is this just going to be the inevitable result of speeding up during rendering? Is this common? Will any software do better than VSDC or Resolve?
Is it possible you're seeing rolling shutter effects speeded up so they are more noticeable in your accelerated video?

Is it possible you're seeing rolling shutter effects speeded up so they are more noticeable in your accelerated video?
reading about it...that may very well be the issue.. I'll have to study up to make sure my shutter speed on my Mavic 3 is twice the frame rate

or Speed Ramping. I have a pretty powerful machine so I try to use it as often as I can. As mentioned, we'll probably have to see your video to understand better.
I have a fairly robust GPU but reading about OF it sounds like I probably don't have the kind of system that would be effective

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne