DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

As I said I am a Newbie so don't get mad at all the questions.

David Bigcat Scott

Reactions
I have taken delivery of my new Mavic Air. As I have just begun to read the ton of information some of which I am sure I won't understand. You see I am a retired truck driver. But my question is do I have to have an iPhone to operate this drone? Because I have never owned anything apple before.

I have taken delivery of my new Mavic Air. As I have just begun to read the ton of information some of which I am sure I won't understand. You see I am a retired truck driver. But my question is do I have to have an iPhone to operate this drone? Because I have never owned anything apple before.
No .. you don't need to surrender to Apple.
There are many Android devices that work just as well (or even better).

Reactions: David Bigcat Scott
No .. you don't need to surrender to Apple.
There are many Android devices that work just as well (or even better).
LOL! surrender to apple.......:D
Without question, apple will be easier since most recent models of ipads or iphones work.
I would say 50% of android devices wont work without some tinkering.
Take a look at this thread.

I swallowed my pride and got an iPad.

Technically you don't need to. Though most of the apple products work well with the app, a lot of android products do so too. If you don't like apple products then get android devices that are listed in the compatibility list of DJI.

By the way, never hesitate to ask questions cause that is one of the reasons this forum is made.

Without question, apple will be easier since most recent models of ipads or iphones work.
I would say 50% of android devices wont work without some tinkering.
Apple will be easier, without question?
If a good Android device is chosen, it will be as good as anything Apple make or even better.
And without the need to do any "tinkering" either.
Yes, Apple make some good devices, but they do not have a monopoly on good flying tablets.

The overstated nothing-works-as-well-as-Apple chorus gets tiresome after a while.
Stand by for the next verse that goes ... but some Android devices don't work as well.

Actually , you can fly the drone without any device at all , but framing your shots will be tough as you would not have a device to display the real time video feed.
If you can swing it then a used Ipad Mini 2 is a great device to use. Ipad Mini 4 even better.

Last edited:
Reactions: David Bigcat Scott

Do you currently own a smartphone?

As you can see most if not all recent Samsung galaxy phones work well, I use a Galaxy S7 and it works flawlessly. Some Galaxy tabs might have a hard time. iPad mini 2 with upgrade to i09 OS works fine.

I use an Nvidia Shield which is Android based. Even with the upgraded version of Android installed on the tablet DJIGO4 and Lichti work very well.

Hi,
I just unpacked my first drone, a Mavic Pro Platinum & need help choosing a good smartphone to operate it.
My background: Old fart ( 74 years young), computer literate (programmer/system analyst since 1966), NOT Smartphone literate.

What I THINK I KNOW about the use of the smartphone is:
Downloads & operates the GJI GO app. (I know very little yet about GJI Go)
Displays the video feed from the Pro's camera
Can operate "Other" apps that are helpful to the drone pilot (Is Geofencing a separate app or a part of GJI GO?)

Hi,
I just unpacked my first drone, a Mavic Pro Platinum & need help choosing a good smartphone to operate it.
My background: Old fart ( 74 years young), computer literate (programmer/system analyst since 1966), NOT Smartphone literate.

What I THINK I KNOW about the use of the smartphone is:
Downloads & operates the GJI GO app. (I know very little yet about GJI Go)
Displays the video feed from the Pro's camera
Can operate "Other" apps that are helpful to the drone pilot (Is Geofencing a separate app or a part of GJI GO?)

You have so far narrowed it down to just about every smartphone on the market.

Let us start with the biggie... would you prefer iOS or Android?

Are you planning on using the smartphone as a phone?

You are really better off looking at a certain phone and then just confirming it will work with the drone... which it probably will.

Hi,
I started w/ IOS because Apple is suugested by DJI
This is going to dedicated to the drone use - no photos, no phone, nothing else.

Please answer the questions I posted; that will help me alot.
Thanks,
Tony

PS Got to leave computer for several hours - wife & I are going shopping, be back in a few hours.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andrefu