DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Ask neighbors before flying

FlyingAround

Reactions
My neighbor just jumped off his tractor and gave me hell.
I was always above 200 feet and respectful as to never directly fly over any livestock.
But he was not happy. Said he wanted to shoot it down several times and I was trespassing.
Not sure what the law is about trespassing 200 feet in the air but I apologized and won't fly over his farms anymore.
That was rough....I feel bad. I should of asked but honestly it never occurred to me. I mean I can't ask everybody I fly over.

I've seen here in other threads, right or wrong, that up to 400' he could consider to be "his space". Which is the same altitude you're not recommended to fly above per the FAA.

But even if you are at an altitude that is considered correct, and not something he can complain about, you may as well still be careful. Sounds like you're just unlucky about this particular neighbor and need to find other areas to fly in.

Anyone would be wrong to claim they own the 400 feet above their property. At least not in 'Merica. No one owns any airspace.

I'd call the police and file a report. What he is threatening to do is a crime. What you are doing is not.

I can respect that in a rural setting. I've got relatives into shotguns (on their farms) and a drone above your property is like the ultimate Target. Like baggin a trophy buck, or the Fox on a hunt
Check out youtube, guys buy cheap chinese ones just so they can shoot them down

He owns about 1000 acres all around me and other then directly behind my house I really have no idea where his land is and other farmers land is.
I'll let him cool down a while and then maybe drive over and actually ask him if I can fly over his land but more to the extremes of his borders.
No sense pissin off the neighbors (more then I have lol)

Reactions: QuackerDamus
I can respect that in a rural setting. I've got relatives into shotguns (on their farms) and a drone above your property is like the ultimate Target. Like baggin a trophy buck, or the Fox on a hunt
Check out youtube, guys buy cheap chinese ones just so they can shoot them down

That doesn't seem logical to me. You'd expect a bit more leeway out in the country rather than in the city. Just because the good 'ole boys into shotguns do it don't make it right. In fact, it is illegal and a federal crime. They couldn't be more wrong.

Reactions: Rbruz and Donunder
He owns about 1000 acres all around me and other then directly behind my house I really have no idea where his land is and other farmers land is.
I'll let him cool down a while and then maybe drive over and actually ask him if I can fly over his land but more to the extremes of his borders.
No sense pissin off the neighbors (more then I have lol)

He has no right to control the airspace above his property. Period. Threatening your property with a firearm is wrong. You are doing nothing wrong.

He was red faced mad when jumped off the tractor. Maybe he was having a bad day. BTW I am not the only quad in the area. I saw a white Phantom 4 ? a few weeks over his land. No clue who has that one. He also told me took pictures of mine flying over his barns. Must of been a tiny black dot!
This sucked all the joy outta this fast. I was having a great time this morning....

Reactions: cjsecus
He was red faced mad when jumped off the tractor. Maybe he was having a bad day. BTW I am not the only quad in the area. I saw a white Phantom 4 ? a few weeks over his land. No clue who has that one. He also told me took pictures of mine flying over his barns. Must of been a tiny black dot!
This sucked all the joy outta this fast. I was having a great time this morning....

I'd bring the drone with you when you visit him & ask him if you could show him how much noise the drone makes when its 200 ft high. A height of 200 ft is not going to scare his cattle. Maybe you should also buy some of the new Mavic pro platinum blades when they're available to cut down on the noise.

Reactions: Kate
Platinum blades aside. I think that's a great idea.
Show him what a cool view he could have of his property.
Any farm worth its salt should have a drone by now anyway.

My 'Good ol boy' relatives fly their own on the farm.

Fly where you want. Make a formal complaint to the police.

Some people can be a real pain, thankfully not my neighbors. I know most of them and they think my Mavic is cool, one even asked if I'd help him look for stray cows if he asked, I said I'd be glad to. I've flown as low as 50' taking pictures and the cows don't seem to care.

This is why you don't stand out where people can see you holding the remote and looking up. Most of the time people have no idea there's a drone in the sky until you actually show them, and standing at the end of your driveway looking up is the perfect (or not so perfect) way to do that. Even if someone would notice the drone I don't give them a target (me) to instantly go after.

Just curious - how many times has this guy asked your permission to do anything??

This is only the second time I have even spoken to him in 3 years. His house is way over the hill but his land borders mine. He has never asked permission to spray his toxic spay which comes over my land. He has never asked permission to fly over my land when they crop dust every year. (I wish I had thought of that one while he was confronting me lol).
I am calling our local police and the state police and get some answers about me flying and is it trespassing. I will call anonymous...more later....

Reactions: Qoncussion
Would it be so difficult to respect his privacy and wishes? No, he does not own the airspace but neither do you. He also has no idea what you are doing.
If a drone repeatedly flew or hovered low over my property, I would try to find the operator and politely ask them not to. If it continued out of spite and I could reach it with a broom or rake I would take it down.
Try talking to him. Be nice. Show him the drone and features. Offer to keep an eye on his large property from the air. However, if he still says no respect that.

Would it be so difficult to respect his privacy and wishes? No, he does not own the airspace but neither do you. He also has no idea what you are doing.
If a drone repeatedly flew or hovered low over my property, I would try to find the operator and politely ask them not to. If it continued out of spite and I could reach it with a broom or rake I would take it down.
Try talking to him. Be nice. Show him the drone and features. Offer to keep an eye on his large property from the air. However, if he still says no respect that.

Yes this is my intention. Until then I am not flying over his land. I will give him a week or so to cool off.

Reactions: Dean George
Everyone should read the Supreme Court decision in US v. Causby.

In that case the court said the land owner controlled the air above his property up to 365 feet.

He was mad because military planes were buzzing his livestock.

I've never seen this used against a drone pilot but I'm sure the day is coming.

Reactions: thomashall1993
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki