DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Assistant 2 / Mavic Air / Should I download?

Firejay27

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Just picked up a Mavic Air and getting into the drone world. As an IT guy I like to make sure I have any/all software needed and such and make sure it's up to date. I noticed that the DJI Assistant 2 is last dated 5/16/2018 as v1.2.4 and it says it's discontinued. At this point with a new Air is this software even needed or used? I've been doing the firmware updates via DJI 4 app before flights.

Reactions: Former Member
People like you are my favorite pilots. By updating your app and firmware, you will keep abreast of all the latest and greatest features of your drone.

The latest DJIA2 is the one you found. It allows you to calibrate the sensors, update the drone without wifi, and other useful features.

That version will probably not be updated, thus the message you saw. The newer versions are made for the Mavic 2, and that seems to be where DJI is focusing alot of its attention.

Last edited:
Now that many W10 pilots are getting blocked from using DJIA2, there may be an update to rectify that problem, we hope?

"this app has been blocked for your protection"

A minor burp, very likely, that will be fixed soon.

so you be aware. Assistant 2.0.6 is currntly broken and in limbo on any windows 10 device.

its certificate is revoked.
1552407789094.png

and you attempt to install or start it - you get this:

Attachments

• 2019-03-12 10.07.18.jpg
    2019-03-12 10.07.18.jpg
    5.9 MB · Views: 27
so far there not seem to be any solution until DJI figures out a certificate fix. if you manage to install it bypassing this screen - it then refuses to run the installed program and pops up the same banner.

OMG! to disable all user control as a solution? thanks, but no thanks. i do not need any junk self-installing after that. LUA exists specifically to prevent such unsigned rogue processes from running on your system.

Reactions: Kilrah
Given that process, and thank you for posting it, is there anything I need DJIA2 for that I can't do in DJIGO4?

BTW, CCleaner Pro runs fine on my W10-64bit, but not DJIA2!

OMG! to disable all user control as a solution? thanks, but no thanks. i do not need any junk self-installing after that. LUA exists specifically to prevent such unsigned rogue processes from running on your system.

Each to his own. You can stick around waiting for DJI to clean it up, or override the message and go fly.

Each to his own. You can stick around waiting for DJI to clean it up, or override the message and go fly.
it is not suppressing the message, it turns off whole security layer to control digital signatures of your running applications. considering possible exploits it is like opening a door wide open for all the junk and trojans to get in.
The Risks of Disabling the Windows UAC
it is a legit risk, that`s all.

Advising to bypass it is still terrible advice to give especially without the accompanying disclaimers that there are risks and you shouldn't be doing that and to turn it back on as soon as you've installed.

it is not suppressing the message, it turns off whole security layer to control digital signatures of your running applications. considering possible exploits it is like opening a door wide open for all the junk and trojans to get in.
The Risks of Disabling the Windows UAC
it is a legit risk, that`s all.

What if you were to open the door a crack to let DJIA2 inside, slam the door shut, then completely sterilize the house of all trojans? As @Kilrah so eloquently put it, " there are risks and you shouldn't be doing that and to turn it back on as soon as you've installed."

From my point of view, I fix drones 18 hours a day. I came across that problem. I fixed it. I had no alternative, otherwise I would lose money. I am using the same computer right now. Have I seen a trojan infection? No. Could there be one? Maybe, but again, I have no choice. Will it affect anything I am doing? Maybe, but for me, I have no choice. Stop work and wait for DJI to resolve it? Might be a long time before that happens. Been there, done that, got the tshirt.

Advising to bypass it is still terrible advice to give especially without the accompanying disclaimers that there are risks and you shouldn't be doing that and to turn it back on as soon as you've installed.

So whats the answer? Can a person lower their deflector shields, let DJIA2 in, raise the shields and then retroactively protect their computer?

From my point of view, I fix drones 18 hours a day. I came across that problem. I fixed it. I had no alternative, otherwise I would lose money. I am using the same computer right now. Have I seen a trojan infection? No. Could there be one? Maybe, but again, I have no choice. Will it affect anything I am doing? Maybe, but for me, I have no choice. Stop work and wait for DJI to resolve it? Might be a long time before that happens. Been there, done that, got the tshirt.
i totally understand your situation, and i do not argue.
on my workstation i have several $K worth of a corporate software i have 0 intent to compromise, so, i am in a different situation.

So whats the answer? Can a person lower their deflector shields, let DJIA2 in, raise the shields and then retroactively protect their computer?
UAC will not allow an unsigned application to start. if you 'raise the shield' it will not allow that installed program to run. at least, it should not. the simple bypass of the installation banner is to, say, run a generic 'cmd' app as an administrator and start installation process from it. this way an advanced security is bypassed, but, after install completes is still refuses to start the installed app with a compromised certificate.

in the end, you are right, it is a matter of a personal choice, to have this layer of security on or not.

UAC will not allow an unsigned application to start. if you 'raise the shield' it will not allow that installed program to run. at least, it should not. the simple bypass of the installation banner is to, say, run a generic 'cmd' app as an administrator and start installation process from it. this way an advanced security is bypassed, but, after install completes is still refuses to start the installed app with a compromised certificate.

in the end, you are right, it is a matter of a personal choice, to have this layer of security on or not.

Thanks for that. So what could an owner do if they had to install it and were able to get it to run? How would you check and cleanse your system?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Poppy52