DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Assumptions Gazumptions and future proofing.

inkytog

Reactions
Disclaimer - this is mainly based on assumptions so can we accept the assumptions are correct for the purpose of a discussion and keep it a nice clean fight? :)

Let us assume the following:

The 'leaks' are correct. The Magic 2 will come in 2 variants
One will be a higher quality sensor ('blad) and the other a 'zoom'
The 'Enterprise edition will have the same image pipeline and the 'zoom' version

I would like to ask all you good people what you'd suggest as an upgrade path for someone who is intending to make money from drone work. I have been a bit lazy and due to other work not put enough effort into getting my drone business *cough* off the ground. This has resulted in me owning a P4P and more recently a MP Platinum, but still sitting on my licence application.

I am now thinking it would be a good time to sell one of them, the other would be a backup (to be professional I'd always have a backup plan) and use the money to buy a new one.

I have also realised that I don't like the Phantom form factor. and that whilst the MPP is 'lower' quality on the image pipeline the portability makes it much more enjoyable to use both for 'work' and pleasure and the portability means it goes to more places.

I will also make the assumption that the Mavic Pro 2 'Hasselblad' edition would be the one I will go for because my aim is for best in class image quality. Plus the bells and whistles of the OA systems etc etc. So this rules out the Enterprise edition (if it's the same sensor as the 'zoom')

So this begs the question..between a P4P and a Mavic Pro Platinum (which I have both of) - which would you sell for the Mavic Pro 2 and why?

Remember- please ASSUME what we know and have seen by way of leaks is correct.

Last edited:
Let us assume the following:

The 'leaks' are correct. The Magic 2 will come in 2 variants
One will be a higher quality sensor ('blad) and the other a 'zoom'
There are actually at least three Mavic 2 models. The 3rd Mavic 2 Enterprise model was recently spotted on DJI's website here.

1. There are actually at least three Mavic 2 models. The 3rd Mavic 2 Enterprise model was recently spotted on DJI's website here.
    I am not including this- it looks as if the imaging system is the same as the non Hasselblad version... so also making this assumption.. can I get your thoughts?

I would sell the MPP. There's probably no good reason for most people to own both the MPP and Mavic 2.

ok - so..
As I said. I want to keep one as a backup - so therefore perhaps the MPP is better to keep as a backup than the P4P?

Why would I need the P4P and not the MPP?

Maybe so you can have a backup that's closer to the image quality of the Mavic 2?
Which is why I got the P4P over the Mavic - but I feel that the form factor of the Phantom is just a ball ache to carry/use.

One reason to KEEP the Phantom is because of a higher perceived value to my clients - bigger drone etc etc.

One reason to KEEP the Phantom is because of a higher perceived value to my clients - bigger drone etc etc.
I think you should just buy a McLaren instead. Your customers will probably pay you ten-fold when you roll up to the job site in that.

I think you should just buy a McLaren instead. Your customers will probably pay you ten-fold when you roll up to the job site in that.

And there we go. Thanks for the helpful contribution.

Thanks for the helpful contribution.
How is keeping a P4P to impress someone a great idea? Are you selling impressions or the work you produce for your customers?

How is keeping a P4P to impress someone a great idea? Are you selling impressions or the work you produce for your customers?
It was a throwaway comment.
However I've been making films/taking photos for over 25 years and unfortunately it's still very much a 'thing' that there IS an element of perceived value. I dont agree with it - and I also know I am hired because of what I do not what kit I have BUT.. if I charge a professional level fee there is an expectation.

It's a psychological game - but it happens. We used to joke that if we rocked up with a 30 year old massive shoulder mount camera but there was a new camera inside the empty shell we'd be able to charge more than turning up with a small 4k cinema camera.

But back to the topic..

So, back to the topic... I would personally keep the P4P as a backup since it has a better camera. And if money is plentiful, then I'd buy two Mavic 2s.

So, back to the topic... I would personally keep the P4P as a backup since it has a better camera. And if money is plentiful, then I'd buy two Mavic 2s.

Thank you. I know this is the logical answer I just don’t really enjoy hauling the phantom and realistically won’t get much airtime once the new boy arrives.

Thank you. I know this is the logical answer I just don’t really enjoy hauling the phantom and realistically won’t get much airtime once the new boy arrives.
So you aren't really seeking input from others and have already made up your mind?

msinger has repeatedly told you what he thinks is the better option and you don't want to accept that. So why post in the first place? You already know what you want to do.

Or are you just hoping someone will give you some confirmation bias?

So you aren't really seeking input from others and have already made up your mind?

msinger has repeatedly told you what he thinks is the better option and you don't want to accept that. So why post in the first place? You already know what you want to do.

Or are you just hoping someone will give you some confirmation bias?

**** me you are aggressive.

I will chime in.
If you want to have a professional drone photography company, its all about the image quality and NOTHING to do with what you use to get it.
I am thinking ditch all of the beginner toys with built in cell phone cameras, and buy an Inspire and the BEST image quality available in the new Mavic lines. Then you have a smaller decent image quality drone and a PROFESSIONAL grade aerial camera.
If you cant see that logic, you are not looking for professional quality, you are looking for a new toy to play with.

I will chime in.
If you want to have a professional drone photography company, its all about the image quality and NOTHING to do with what you use to get it.
I am thinking ditch all of the beginner toys with built in cell phone cameras, and buy an Inspire and the BEST image quality available in the new Mavic lines. Then you have a smaller decent image quality drone and a PROFESSIONAL grade aerial camera.
If you cant see that logic, you are not looking for professional quality, you are looking for a new toy to play with.

You are absolutely right. Ultimately it’s down to budgets compared to ROI but I always want to be taking photos in the best quality I can get at the time - but of course it’s not always possible.

I have the best kit I can afford. My stills cameras are very good and top of the range and I’ve probably spent too much on those over the years.

An inspire is an absolute definite if I could justify the extra spend and the returns I’d get.

You are absolutely right. Ultimately it’s down to budgets compared to ROI but I always want to be taking photos in the best quality I can get at the time - but of course it’s not always possible.

I have the best kit I can afford. My stills cameras are very good and top of the range and I’ve probably spent too much on those over the years.

An inspire is an absolute definite if I could justify the extra spend and the returns I’d get.

If the Inspire is out of the question, I am with Msinger. Keep the Phantom, ditch your Mavic for the better camera Mavic.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada