DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Attention Long distance flyers: How far can I remote land and take off from ?

It actually was the Shanghai World Financial Center (490 m), where a young chinese guy landed its Mavic on top of the sightseeing platform und motors were shut off. After the restart, the drone flew to the adjacent Shanghai Tower (632 m) and climbed way above its top to almost 1000 m above ground level. He had to do the intermediate landing and motor shut off to overcome the drone's built in 500 m altitude limit. The pilot himself was on the top of a lower building in some distance. Eventually the entire operation was successful.
Ah, thanks for confirming that the OLD gray matter still matters sometimes. Any link?

Quick update on the Remote Landings: Once the Mavic 2 Zoom was powered on , I was able to connect at about 500 ft , but could not connect at 1500.

At 1000 I did not have a good line of sight, which most likely made the difference.

View attachment 71572

The Goal is to have a Docking Station on the Boat where I can Remote turn on the drone using a push button something we already have set up and our using already.

We just need to figure a way to get the signal a little further .

Anyone have any ideas how how to Jump the signal further , I might be able to put something in a tree , lol

Having a remote drone sitting in a box on the drone would be so cool, worth the hassle to get it to work and once its in the air, would be visible for flight.

Will post the video soon and the Remote setup .

There’s a whole subculture in the modifications forum on this and we have guys that have set ups that could probably remote control something on the moon.

Check it out lots of good threads and relatively cheap as long as you are willing to install yourself

That’s only an issue with the Mavic Air. Other Mavic’s don’t get compass errors really. I calibrated the compass on my Mavic Pro the first time I flew it and haven’t since. Never had a compass error and I take off from metal things all the time.
Hi Brett, I have an MP and at this time I have heavy scaffolding all around the house it does not interfere with the MP in any way.

@Phantomrain.org

You’ll have to keep us updated on your project and how you get on. Very interesting what you’re trying to achieve??

Update: I have been working on the project night and day trying to solve the problems and I think i have a viable solution.

Now that we know you can Connect the Mavic 2 from a distance , the bigger question was how to Remote Start the drone so you can connect and I got that figured out using a Remote Push button device that I use on laser printer, the garage door, and coffee pot.

The problem with that Push button Device is that it wont reach the 1500 ft to push the button on the drone so , I was at a loss but than the Light Bulb !

Code the Push button to tap and push, Intermittently two different codes one for take off and one for landing to turn it off.

Code the Remote Starter on the drone to offer me different windows of time to connect to the drone on the boat that was the moment of glory that move the project forward, however , the boat offers all kinds of problems for the drone.

So im building a Drone take off / landing deck on the boat , trying to shield it from harms way....

The struggle is real, but there is a light. Figuring out the timer on the Remote to open up connection windows was really the key that making this a reality. The Double Tap is just matter of getting the timing down for a perfect startup.

Video shows some progress. working on coding specifically for the Mavic 2 Startup and turn off procedure.

Update: I have been working on the project night and day trying to solve the problems and I think i have a viable solution.

Now that we know you can Connect the Mavic 2 from a distance , the bigger question was how to Remote Start the drone so you can connect and I got that figured out using a Remote Push button device that I use on laser printer, the garage door, and coffee pot.

The problem with that Push button Device is that it wont reach the 1500 ft to push the button on the drone so , I was at a loss but than the Light Bulb !

Code the Push button to tap and push, Intermittently two different codes one for take off and one for landing to turn it off.

Code the Remote Starter on the drone to offer me different windows of time to connect to the drone on the boat that was the moment of glory that move the project forward, however , the boat offers all kinds of problems for the drone.

So im building a Drone take off / landing deck on the boat , trying to shield it from harms way....

The struggle is real, but there is a light. Figuring out the timer on the Remote to open up connection windows was really the key that making this a reality. The Double Tap is just matter of getting the timing down for a perfect startup.

Video shows some progress. working on coding specifically for the Mavic 2 Startup and turn off procedure.

Genius

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Lol, your vid did make me laugh, I could fill your emotions through your voice? very funny.

But you now seem to be getting results which is cool? Keep on at it, you’ll soon have it sorted and doing what you intended it to do. I’ll keep following your progress on this subject. Good job @Phantomrain.org

Last edited:
I may be forgetting but I thought there was a video of someone in Singapore or Hong Kong or other points west (from here) landing on a beam of a skyscraper and than taking off again. Did a quick search and can't find anything.
I saw this one. It is still the most memorable flying feat I’ve seen. This guy was total master without fear.

Yes Magnetic interference can happen to Any drone at any time , it is something that needs to be negotiated , and it really pays off to know your Environment and the landing point of the Remote landing to help with that.
I work at a car lot and have landed on the roof of cars many times. Every time my mavic air gets compass error and will not take off.

Magnetic interference is different from a compass error. I get magnetic interference but that just means to get away from the metal. Compass error is when it’s bad enough the IMU can’t use compass readings
I get compass error when I land my mavic air on the roof of a car.

Any consideration for going WiFi extender for the triggering gear, enclosure opening, etc? Spring loaded cover with solenoid release with the double tap mechanism mounted on it so it doesn't ride with the drone....what if it triggered during flight?

Example,

Any consideration for going WiFi extender for the triggering gear, enclosure opening, etc? Spring loaded cover with solenoid release with the double tap mechanism mounted on it so it doesn't ride with the drone....what if it triggered during flight?

Example,

I suppose that could happen but considering it an app that would have to be turned back on, , from the phone , I think its more than safe that it would not be able to trigger on it own.

We are working on a docking station but the magnetic interference is causing some delays in moving forward regardless of how we set up the the trigger relays at this point in the project .

I have something like that on the boat now for the internet , which works well. but the Trigger system seems to only work on the Blue tooth signal which is why the Timer system is the only mech that is working.

Thank you.

Last edited:
I suppose that could happen but considering it an app that would have to be turned back on, , from the phone , I think its more than safe that it would not be able to trigger on it own.

We are working on a docking station but the magnetic interference is causing some delays in moving forward regardless of how we set up the the trigger relays at this point in the project .

I have something like that on the boat now for the internet , which works well. but the Trigger system seems to only work on the Blue tooth signal which is why the Timer system is the only mech that is working.

Thank you.

Well, I don't recognize that switch but I've seen similar switches of that type false trigger when introduced to vibration, jarring, etc. I do automation and remote control systems as part of my job, btw. I was also going to see if you have any interest in a GSM solution that would be rock solid and house a half a dozen NO/NC switching opportunities. I'm not sure how serious you are but this can get pricey so... Anyway, good luck and I'll go back to minding my own business, hahahaha!

Cool project. Yes, the mag interference. One day I tried to fly from a field and the grass was too long for the M2P's little legs. The rear props would catch and the thing aborted takeoff. So I tried to use my carrying case as an impromptu launch pad. Didn't work, mag error. Maybe it would work if I took the spare batteries out?

Cool project. Yes, the mag interference. One day I tried to fly from a field and the grass was too long for the M2P's little legs. The rear props would catch and the thing aborted takeoff. So I tried to use my carrying case as an impromptu launch pad. Didn't work, mag error. Maybe it would work if I took the spare batteries out?

Got me thinking so i tried this while the Phantom was running.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in and out of the Storm

Reactions: Porky
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kramme