DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

ATTI mode mid flight - causing the Mavic to almost crash

Is it just me or are we making way to many excuses for the Mavic Pro and obvious issues and shortcomings of this device.

I upgraded from a Phantom 3 Standard and NEVER experienced any issues. It was rock solid, did what I asked and had confidence in it, no I upgraded to the Mavic and it is garbage. Have experienced all of he issues your all reporting, indoors and out and the drone isn't currently in for repairs (don't even get me started on support, and I use that word loosely). It is time that DJI step up and admit this is a failed device, most probably hardware as well as firmware and make sure it right. Their reputation is o the line. Let's quit justifying their lack of providing a quality product like they are know for.

I have had no issues other than focus that won't go to infinity in very cold weather. It is not a failed device IMO.

For "failed device" I believe the code word is "GoPro Karma".

Then what am I supposed to take from my personal experience and all of posts all over this website and other Facebook groups all relating similar failures of their Mavic's. Just unlucky?

Then what am I supposed to take from my personal experience and all of posts all over this website and other Facebook groups all relating similar failures of their Mavic's. Just unlucky?

I don't know what that represents, overall, as a percentage of the whole.

How much of that is operator error?

How much of that is bad setups?

How much of that is poor skills?

How much of that is impatience?

I've had no in-flight loss of control that I can blame on the MP. The only (ahem) incident I had was my own damned fault. Most around here seem to have nicely functioning rigs.

Reactions: themixguy
I had my first scare, my first near crash, and my first learning lesson tonight.

Setup: I set everything up as per normal routine. However, after the craft and RC were powered and ready to go, I did not get a Compass Error - which I usually do. So, I did not calibrate the compass on this flight. I thought the compass calibration was similar to the RC calibration and the IMU calibrations - if the app doesn't say to do it, then it's best not to do it.

Flight: I got the Ready to Go and lifted off. I hovered a few feet off the ground. After moving approximately 30 feet away and ascending 20 feet or so, the drone started to slowly rotate left on it's own (as if I was using the left stick to turn it to the left). It was gradual at first, but when I tried to input a slight correction, it got worse and faster. At this very point is when I realized something was wrong.

When I tried a larger correction, the drone began to bob and sway around randomly as if hanging by a bungee cord. There was little to no control. Not good. At this point, the app announced an audible "ATTI mode". Aw crap. My senses kicked in. I quickly looked down and saw the "No Positioning" message across the top in yellow.

I thought back to an earlier post from today or yesterday about using the Pause button. Pressed it. Nothing. Pressed it again. Nothing. Pressed and held, nothing. What is this thing supposed to do? All while I'm trying to maintain control as it's bobbing, weaving and rotating on axis randomly.

At this point, the craft has rotated a few times and is pointed in a different random direction that I was not in tune with. I realized my inputs are reversed and its facing me. I have experience controlling crafts with reversed inputs, but those first few seconds are critical to diagnose and correct with the reversed sticks. I had a difficult time controlling it and it flew around wildly. Luckily, it did not crash into anything or anyone.

A moment later (which felt like an eternity), I was able to regain control when the GPS positioning lock came back on. I landed haphazardly immediately after (and likely largely while the GPS was still "locking on").

Result: She's safe and sound, but not without giving me a scare.

Learning lesson: Now, I am realizing I should have done the compass calibration and should probably continue to calibrate the compass before every single flight from now on.

TLDR;
Didn't calibrate compass, took off, aircraft went into ATTI mode, went wild, barely managed to land safely and in one piece. Calibrate the compass before every single flight.

What else can I learn from this experience? Lay it on me.
My experience is that if it won't go to gps and stays in atti mode, don't fly. I just crashed badly because I flew at night without a good gps lock. Ok, that's on me. But what is att-mode for then? The mavic responded to no commands and was completely wild even though it was 20' away- what's the purpose of atti-mode? Seems more like," wild non responsive to any commands" mode. I'm ******* pissed. After a day of great flights, a pointless violent crash. If you don't have satellites, don't fly, period. ****!

My experience is that if it won't go to gps and stays in atti mode, don't fly. I just crashed badly because I flew at night without a good gps lock. Ok, that's on me. But what is att-mode for then? The mavic responded to no commands and was completely wild even though it was 20' away- what's the purpose of atti-mode? Seems more like," wild non responsive to any commands" mode. I'm ******* pissed. After a day of great flights, a pointless violent crash. If you don't have satellites, don't fly, period. ****!
It should fly and respond to control input. It should maintain elevation, but horizontal position will not lock solid in ATTI like normal in P mode, it will blow with the wind and you have to navigate to counter the wind. You should look at your flight log for evidence of what really happened. Maybe you weren't familiar with ATTI and it just seemed like it wasn't responding.

Last edited:
It should fly and respond to control input. It should maintain elevation, but horizontal position will not lock solid in ATTI like normal in P mode, it will blow with the wind and you have to navigate to counter the wind. You should look at your flight log.
I'm a good pilot and I'm telling you it was totally unresponsive. Then I tried tripod mode indoors( which I have to take in first to activate) and it crashed wildly again. Don't fly in "retarded atti mode " ever-

I'm a good pilot and I'm telling you it was totally unresponsive. Then I tried tripod mode indoors( which I have to take in first to activate) and it crashed wildly again. Don't fly in "retarded atti mode " ever-
I fly ATTI all the time with my phantoms, not a big deal if there's no wind. There must be something wrong with your craft. Contact DJI and request warranty repair, but you'll likely need to provide the flight record to prove your case. If they accept it as warranty you'll likely get a new craft like I did recently. They hardly ever repair anything, they simply replace.

Not having flown these you beaut machines that fly in Atti and are so great (Why buy a Mavic?)
I have flown the Mavic who's principle mode is GPS and attached programmes. That is how it was designed.
I will not attempt take off without my ritual of power up.
I then sit and wait and watch patiently for a solid GPS lock and observe that all other readings are correct including RC signal bars.
If these fluctuate and dont seem steady I will not start motors.
When I launch I let it hover for a minute and recheck everything before letting her loose. If I see a loss of GPS strength I bring it back.
So far no problems, no disconnects, no black screen and no app crashes.
Maybe I'm lucky.

Reactions: AlanTheBeast
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
valter123