DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

ATTI mode mid flight - causing the Mavic to almost crash

Never had to worry about a watch or phone in a pocket or a belt buckle on ANY other drone... why is this one so sensitive. Or is this just people inventing old wives tales?

It's probably an old wives tale. Ignore it.. and report your results here. I'll continue to take all the metal off before calibrating and report my results here too.. almost like Mythbusters... thus far my results are 0 incidents 500 miles flown on Phantoms, Inspire and Mavic.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Reactions: Wacker2611
I never used to worry about belt buckles, keys in my pocket or rebars near by. I am also surprised by some of the advice on here, especially related to electromagnetic interference. Our Mavic is certified by FCC meaning it is supposed to accept ANY electromagnetic interference from nearby devices like Apple watches smartphones wifi boosters etc.
I think you're mistaken about the fcc. Fcc certification assures consumers about device emissions, not about effects from the outside to the device. But you're right about others advising to remove keys and belt buckles. I've never done that and calibrate compass successfully every time. But I do hold the craft away from me arm's length when I do the dance.
However, magnetic interference is real from the outside. Any large metal object from nearby can cause problems. And you only need to calibrate once, unless you fly more than 50 miles away from last calibration. That's when you should then recalibrate.

Fly often, be safe.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sparky1963
I think you're mistaken about the fcc. Fcc certification assures consumers about device emissions, not about effects from the outside to the device. But you're right about others advising to remove keys and belt buckles. I've never done that and calibrate compass successfully every time. But I do hold the craft away from me arm's length when I do the dance.
However, magnetic interference is real from the outside. Any large metal object from nearby can cause problems. And you only need to calibrate once, unless you fly more than 50 miles away from last calibration, then recalibrate.

Fly often, be safe.
John,
Google FCC title 47 part 15

Just started a discussion on DJI forum. Hopefully this gets addressed by DJI, that it shows a message to calibrate the compass at least. (if that really is the issue here)
Mavic loses GPS fix with 15+ satellites [8 reports so far]

Thanks @NuDann. I just posted over there too. But for you compass experts, what would cause a compass calibration attempt to fail? 10 tries, and I still can't get one to complete. Tried three different locations, one of which was an open grass field with NOTHING metal on or near me. It was just after a flight where I had my worst TBE yet - a full-speed spiral that expanded to nearly 50' in diameter. When I got it down and tried the calibration, nothing but failures. Ideas?

ETA: Well, this is embarrassing. My flight battery was at 15%, and now that I read @msinger's guide, I see that a successfully completed calibration means the lights go out and then resume flashing as normal. Well, when the battery is at 15%, the 'normal' flashing is red. So I think the calibrations did actually take, and as it cleared that mode, the resuming red blinking light made me think otherwise. False alarm.

Reactions: mattmjm
Thanks @NuDann. I just posted over there too. But for you compass experts, what would cause a compass calibration attempt to fail? 10 tries, and I still can't get one to complete. Tried three different locations, one of which was an open grass field with NOTHING metal on or near me. It was just after a flight where I had my worst TBE yet - a full-speed spiral that expanded to nearly 50' in diameter. When I got it down and tried the calibration, nothing but failures. Ideas?

ETA: Well, this is embarrassing. My flight battery was at 15%, and now that I read @msinger's guide, I see that a successfully completed calibration means the lights go out and then resume flashing as normal. Well, when the battery is at 15%, the 'normal' flashing is red. So I think the calibrations did actually take, and as it cleared that mode, the resuming red blinking light made me think otherwise. False alarm.

So if you were getting successful calibrations, why would you get TBE on a regular basis? Sounds like the calibrations are still off?

I feel like there is a discrepancy between the instructions to calibrate the compass between the video tutorial, the user's here, and the instructions found in the app.

For example, the spokesperson from the Mavic Tutorials is pointing the Mavic straight down in step #2 of the compass calibration.
nBsaYZQ.jpg

...but doesn't the DJI GO app say to hold it sideways while calibrating in step #2? Maybe I'm wrong here...?

Also, some say to hold it straight out while you "do the dance", but others rotate about on axis.

Reactions: MavicProMX
Phantom 4 for me has been a true Cadillac experience, even p2 anP3P, and so far I always follow a few simple guidelines an haven't had any issues (Knock on wood) as far as Phantoms I only do IMU, COMPASS, when the app says to, I have a setup of firmware and software versions that work excellent together so I say why change what works! Inspect everything before and after flights, and while sometimes not always LOS because of goggles the first hint of anything out of the ordinary I bring her home! I'm still waiting for my Mavic and don't expect any problems there either, but with any new item I add to my collection I'll take her slow and steady until comfortable! Lately and I'm sure msinger will agree this has been a kind of small group spread out of hobbie people flying for quite awhile, now with the influx of so many new people, it's sad but I do sometimes grin when I see a post """I JUST GOT MY P4, P3, or MAVIC""" and the next post is why did it fly away??? Because some never even read the directions, didn't have a sat connect, etc.... also there's a world of difference between what there app/video says in regards to years of hands on experience, not saying the app or video is wrong mind you, but there are some tricks to make things easier and better, like during IMU cooling things down will make IMUwarm ups really fast, etc... compass calibration is no exception because it really don't matter if you turn the circle or you turn the Quadcopter the results are the same.... there's ALOT of experience here for the new pilots!

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Last edited:
but doesn't the DJI GO app say to hold it sideways while calibrating in step #2? Maybe I'm wrong here...?
It should be nose down as shown in the video.

Reactions: MavicProMX
I did a chat with DJI support to report the incident of my Mavic switching to atti mode. The first thing they asked was if I did a compass calibration before the flight, and I told them I did not. They immediately stated that was definitely the cause of the problem and that you're supposed to do a compass calibration before EVERY flight. I challenged that, but they were adamant about the requirement.

I don't have any intention of calibrating the compass before every flight. It's somewhat worrisome that DJI is using that as a scapegoat for this issue though. Basically, they're saying that if you didn't calibrate the compass before the flight, and the Mavic switches to atti mode, it's pilot error.

I did a chat with DJI support to report the incident of my Mavic switching to atti mode. The first thing they asked was if I did a compass calibration before the flight, and I told them I did not. They immediately stated that was definitely the cause of the problem and that you're supposed to do a compass calibration before EVERY flight. I challenged that, but they were adamant about the requirement.

I don't have any intention of calibrating the compass before every flight. It's somewhat worrisome that DJI is using that as a scapegoat for this issue though. Basically, they're saying that if you didn't calibrate the compass before the flight, and the Mavic switches to atti mode, it's pilot error.

Can someone from DJI confirm this? Very important info, changes everything all the pilots have said here about calibration procedures.

Reactions: niclariv
OT, but maybe the Cali new pilots should do their initial flights in front of the California Repair Facility, saves on shipping the RMA.:cool:

Reactions: Ender
I had my first scare, my first near crash, and my first learning lesson tonight.

Setup: I set everything up as per normal routine. However, after the craft and RC were powered and ready to go, I did not get a Compass Error - which I usually do. So, I did not calibrate the compass on this flight. I thought the compass calibration was similar to the RC calibration and the IMU calibrations - if the app doesn't say to do it, then it's best not to do it.

Flight: I got the Ready to Go and lifted off. I hovered a few feet off the ground. After moving approximately 30 feet away and ascending 20 feet or so, the drone started to slowly rotate left on it's own (as if I was using the left stick to turn it to the left). It was gradual at first, but when I tried to input a slight correction, it got worse and faster. At this very point is when I realized something was wrong.

When I tried a larger correction, the drone began to bob and sway around randomly as if hanging by a bungee cord. There was little to no control. Not good. At this point, the app announced an audible "ATTI mode". Aw crap. My senses kicked in. I quickly looked down and saw the "No Positioning" message across the top in yellow.

I thought back to an earlier post from today or yesterday about using the Pause button. Pressed it. Nothing. Pressed it again. Nothing. Pressed and held, nothing. What is this thing supposed to do? All while I'm trying to maintain control as it's bobbing, weaving and rotating on axis randomly.

At this point, the craft has rotated a few times and is pointed in a different random direction that I was not in tune with. I realized my inputs are reversed and its facing me. I have experience controlling crafts with reversed inputs, but those first few seconds are critical to diagnose and correct with the reversed sticks. I had a difficult time controlling it and it flew around wildly. Luckily, it did not crash into anything or anyone.

A moment later (which felt like an eternity), I was able to regain control when the GPS positioning lock came back on. I landed haphazardly immediately after (and likely largely while the GPS was still "locking on").

Result: She's safe and sound, but not without giving me a scare.

Learning lesson: Now, I am realizing I should have done the compass calibration and should probably continue to calibrate the compass before every single flight from now on.

TLDR;
Didn't calibrate compass, took off, aircraft went into ATTI mode, went wild, barely managed to land safely and in one piece. Calibrate the compass before every single flight.

What else can I learn from this experience? Lay it on me.

I have never calibrated anything. I think sometimes the more you try to do right, the more DJI screws up. I'm taking the just fly it approach.

I had my first scare, my first near crash, and my first learning lesson tonight.

Setup: I set everything up as per normal routine. However, after the craft and RC were powered and ready to go, I did not get a Compass Error - which I usually do. So, I did not calibrate the compass on this flight. I thought the compass calibration was similar to the RC calibration and the IMU calibrations - if the app doesn't say to do it, then it's best not to do it.

Flight: I got the Ready to Go and lifted off. I hovered a few feet off the ground. After moving approximately 30 feet away and ascending 20 feet or so, the drone started to slowly rotate left on it's own (as if I was using the left stick to turn it to the left). It was gradual at first, but when I tried to input a slight correction, it got worse and faster. At this very point is when I realized something was wrong.

When I tried a larger correction, the drone began to bob and sway around randomly as if hanging by a bungee cord. There was little to no control. Not good. At this point, the app announced an audible "ATTI mode". Aw crap. My senses kicked in. I quickly looked down and saw the "No Positioning" message across the top in yellow.

I thought back to an earlier post from today or yesterday about using the Pause button. Pressed it. Nothing. Pressed it again. Nothing. Pressed and held, nothing. What is this thing supposed to do? All while I'm trying to maintain control as it's bobbing, weaving and rotating on axis randomly.

At this point, the craft has rotated a few times and is pointed in a different random direction that I was not in tune with. I realized my inputs are reversed and its facing me. I have experience controlling crafts with reversed inputs, but those first few seconds are critical to diagnose and correct with the reversed sticks. I had a difficult time controlling it and it flew around wildly. Luckily, it did not crash into anything or anyone.

A moment later (which felt like an eternity), I was able to regain control when the GPS positioning lock came back on. I landed haphazardly immediately after (and likely largely while the GPS was still "locking on").

Result: She's safe and sound, but not without giving me a scare.

Learning lesson: Now, I am realizing I should have done the compass calibration and should probably continue to calibrate the compass before every single flight from now on.

TLDR;
Didn't calibrate compass, took off, aircraft went into ATTI mode, went wild, barely managed to land safely and in one piece. Calibrate the compass before every single flight.

What else can I learn from this experience? Lay it on me.

Lay it on? You're on!

My sequence and rules for take off (beyond the more elaborate and full checklists) these are the sole conditions where I will takeoff. BTW: I have never calibrated the compass in the field. It's always been the "day before" when checking out the system.

Open area where the GPS has a good chance of acquiring and there are few obstacles (trees, walls, fences, snow banks, ...). The more the area is open, the easier the GPS and GLONASS will acquire. Don't stand over the drone. That blocks a lot of satellites.

RC on.
DJI GO app running.
MP ON.
..RC connects
..GO connects (may need wire re-connect, or app re-launch)
Wait for GPS to lock
Start rotors

My Golden Rule:
DO NOT TURN THE PROPS UNTIL GPS LOCKS ON.

That may sound cautious but a lot hinges on it including reliable RTH which brings us to the next rule:
ALWAYS RISE 10m STRAIGHT UP.

That obviously to give RTH automatic approach the most accurate "target" to land on. So also use a landing pad if possible to contrast against whatever ground is around. I use an old chunk of plywood - also challenges me to make controlled accurate landings when I get back. When I find some paint I'll doll up the plywood a little.

Since I received the MP a couple weeks ago I have calibrated the IMU 2x (once for practice) and calibrated the compass 2x (Once for practice). It is not needed unless it is needed. If the drone behaves flakey I'd calibrate everything (even the gimbal). But if it is serially flakey I'd send it to DJI.

I think the main thing is to develop your "ritual" to a never violable sequence that reduces random events from upsetting the flight. If you're distracted from that ritual, you will more likely have issues.

Is it just me or are we making way to many excuses for the Mavic Pro and obvious issues and shortcomings of this device.

I upgraded from a Phantom 3 Standard and NEVER experienced any issues. It was rock solid, did what I asked and had confidence in it, no I upgraded to the Mavic and it is garbage. Have experienced all of he issues your all reporting, indoors and out and the drone isn't currently in for repairs (don't even get me started on support, and I use that word loosely). It is time that DJI step up and admit this is a failed device, most probably hardware as well as firmware and make sure it right. Their reputation is o the line. Let's quit justifying their lack of providing a quality product like they are know for.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929