DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Atti mode w Mavic Vs Phantom?

You're right, you will crash sooner. That's inviting trouble.

ATTI is often used by pro videographers as the preferred flight mode to enhance the smoothness of a clip. Letting the craft drift in the wind while yawing the craft to capture a POI is the secret to many clips you often see.

In an open field, set a chair (or any large object) in the center of the field away from any objects, especially trees. Then make straight passes (not circles) by that chair while keeping the chair in the center of the frame. Then, try that by letting the wind drift the craft past the chair. With time you'll figure out how to use the drift affect, and the coasting effect of ATTI to your advantage. Doing this in ATTI can be very helpful after you learn the skill set, and how to adapt to the different wind levels that's available. POI pass-by videos can be very smooth with a 3mph wind drift, while you focus on keeping the POI centered. Doing this in a field is hard enough as a beginner, doing it with obstacles around the area is not only risky, it's not relevant to learning about ATTI mode.

I have to try that when I get the video feed fixed right now I’m flying blind I have to go by line of sight I can only guess what the camera sees. I called Dji about it today they said the board is $170 and. If they replace the camera also it’s another $80 plus I have to pay shipping both ways from South Carolina to California it won’t. E Che unless I find a Crashed P3P for sale I can use to fix it! So all I have is my Mavic and 2 other drones I don’t really like one has a no e Yuneec 4K camera on it but it’s hard to fly the RC is not for beginners

I have to try that when I get the video feed fixed right now I’m flying blind I have to go by line of sight I can only guess what the camera sees. I called Dji about it today they said the board is $170 and. If they replace the camera also it’s another $80 plus I have to pay shipping both ways from South Carolina to California it won’t. E Che unless I find a Crashed P3P for sale I can use to fix it! So all I have is my Mavic and 2 other drones I don’t really like one has a no e Yuneec 4K camera on it but it’s hard to fly the RC is not for beginners

I might try to sell the other 2 drones to help pay to fix the P3P I’m not sure yet.

Reactions: mowind
Re flying a Mavic through the tunnel - use OPTI mode, not ATTI, and illuminate the area under the Mavic if necessary. Good luck - sounds like this will be an interesting video.

Re flying a Mavic through the tunnel - use OPTI mode, not ATTI, and illuminate the area under the Mavic if necessary. Good luck - sounds like this will be an interesting video.

Is opti mode possible with the mavic? I thought once it looses gps it goes right to atti mode? I could be wrong I’m still kinda new at this. I know the Phantom 3 has a switch that can choose all 3 modes I have to look into the opti mode on my MPP! When I posted about my intentions to fly the MPP in a Tunnel everyone said to practice ATti mode because that’s what mode it will switch to once it looses the satellite signals.

Is opti mode possible with the mavic? I thought once it looses gps it goes right to atti mode? I could be wrong I’m still kinda new at this. I know the Phantom 3 has a switch that can choose all 3 modes I have to look into the opti mode on my MPP! When I posted about my intentions to fly the MPP in a Tunnel everyone said to practice ATti mode because that’s what mode it will switch to once it looses the satellite signals.

Ok I found the answer it’s not possible to force it into opti mode or keep it there the lighting has to be just right and what it sees can make it switch back and forth between opti and atti modes since the tunnel is just a big hole dug through rock the color of the walls could be a problem it’s solid gray/black and wet from seepage so its shiny the mavic would have serious issues with this from the information I read on how it works I don’t think I could get enough light In the tunnel so I guess I have to practice atti mode and get the prop guards the good cages to prevent damage it it (I’m sure it will) taps the tunnel walls. I the Phantom may be better suited for this since I can keep it in opti mode. I really want to see what a video looks like with different colors I have some bright LED flashlights that have red,green,blue and UV blacklight, modes the tunnel is about 1/4 mile till it reaches a cage they built to stop people from going any further it was never finished there’s no other end! They used it to age cheese until 20-25 years ago now it’s a tourist attraction I guess it was being built just before WWII and abandoned because of the war they never finished it.Image1519353981.325020.jpg https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stumphouse_Mountain_Tunnel

Ok I found the answer it’s not possible to force it into opti mode or keep it there the lighting has to be just right and what it sees can make it switch back and forth between opti and atti modes since the tunnel is just a big hole dug through rock the color of the walls could be a problem it’s solid gray/black and wet from seepage so its shiny the mavic would have serious issues with this from the information I read on how it works I don’t think I could get enough light In the tunnel so I guess I have to practice atti mode and get the prop guards the good cages to prevent damage it it (I’m sure it will) taps the tunnel walls. I the Phantom may be better suited for this since I can keep it in opti mode. I really want to see what a video looks like with different colors I have some bright LED flashlights that have red,green,blue and UV blacklight, modes the tunnel is about 1/4 mile till it reaches a cage they built to stop people from going any further it was never finished there’s no other end! They used it to age cheese until 20-25 years ago now it’s a tourist attraction I guess it was being built just before WWII and abandoned because of the war they never finished it.View attachment 32007 https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stumphouse_Mountain_Tunnel

I see there’s some Moss I was in there last year I don’t remember it looking like that I have to see when I’m ready it’s not far from me but they charge $2 every time you go so. Have to be prepared or I could be making a lot of trips and also there could be people in there so I have to walk it before flying, I think flying out would be easer because there’s light at the entrance but flying In I have to figure out how to light it so I can see the drone and give it enough light to capture video at as low a iso possible. If I can find a RC Car or Truck to attach lights on and drive it in just behind the drone it might work to keep the illumination constant. It would be easier than trying to hold the lights unless I attach them to me somehow but I won’t be able to turn my body or the drone could loose its place and crash.

Last edited:
I see there’s some Moss I was in there last year I don’t remember it looking like that I have to see when I’m ready it’s not far from me but they charge $2 every time you go so. Have to be prepared or I could be making a lot of trips and also there could be people in there so I have to walk it before flying, I think flying out would be easer because there’s light at the entrance but flying In I have to figure out how to light it so I can see the drone and give it enough light to capture video at as low a iso possible. If I can find a RC Car or Truck to attach lights on and drive it in just behind the drone it might work to keep the illumination constant. It would be easier than trying to hold the lights unless I attach them to me somehow but I won’t be able to turn my body or the drone could loose its place and crash.

When I fly it out I will have to find someone that could stay at the entrance to keep people out (let them know I’m flying a drone through the tunnel) till I get the drone out don’t want to hurt anyone.

When I fly it out I will have to find someone that could stay at the entrance to keep people out (let them know I’m flying a drone through the tunnel) till I get the drone out don’t want to hurt anyone.
Why not walk the cave and hold the drone to capture video, instead of the risk of flying? Do you realize when flying out of the cave, this will have poor results from a lighting point of view. The daylight of the outdoors will wash out the view of the walls of the cave, you won't be able to see the walls. If you are flying into the cave you might have enough light, but maybe not, as the 1/2" sensor isn't the greatest in low light. I suggest a trial capture in the cave without flying, using the Mavic to capture the video so you can see the results. While walking, you have to walk with your knees bent, to mitigate the walking bounce in the video. This walking method can be practiced at home to learn the walking method to keep the video from bouncing up and down during the walk.

I think an Osmo would be more appropriate for this cave shoot, but the Mavic can capture near identical video, stabilized by the gimbal.

Why not walk the cave and hold the drone to capture video, instead of the risk of flying? Do you realize when flying out of the cave, this will have poor results from a lighting point of view. The daylight of the outdoors will wash out the view of the walls of the cave, you won't be able to see the walls. If you are flying into the cave you might have enough light, but maybe not, as the 1/2" sensor isn't the greatest in low light. I suggest a trial capture in the cave without flying, using the Mavic to capture the video so you can see the results. While walking, you have to walk with your knees bent, to mitigate the walking bounce in the video. This walking method can be practiced at home to learn the walking method to keep the video from bouncing up and down during the walk.

I think an Osmo would be more appropriate for this cave shoot, but the Mavic can capture near identical video, stabilized by the gimbal.

Yea my knees are not made to walk like that anymore plus Sciatica is another problem from getting old I got the drone to get photos and video were I can’t go anymore, I was going to attach a High power LED light to the drone and use different colors including UV to see what shows up on the walls.

Yea my knees are not made to walk like that anymore plus Sciatica is another problem from getting old I got the drone to get photos and video were I can’t go anymore, I was going to attach a High power LED light to the drone and use different colors including UV to see what shows up on the walls.
If it was me I wouldn't risk the drone in a cave, in favor of getting a friend to help walk it through. Drones are not designed to fly in caves, it's very high risk, especially in close quarters.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FNG_