DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Aussie Registration?

noosaguy

Reactions
If I missed this I on MP's apologise... but a friend told me the other day that he saw on the news that all drones in Australia will need to be registered this year.
Is this correct? I find it hard to believe.

Reactions: Bruce low
Easier said than done. How many people would bother? Does it apply to $50 drones? Would there be an age limit to fly drones? If an 8-year-old got a Tello for Christmas, does he/she need to register first? The range of drones is like from tricycles to sports cars. Where do you draw the line?

I have no problem registering my drone as long as...
a). It means I get to keep flying it.
and,
b). It means operators who do stupid **** are more easily caught. (And punished appropriately)

The main reason new laws against drone operators are written is because of inconsiderate operators. (The gatwick incident is a prime example)

I have no problem registering my drone as long as...
a). It means I get to keep flying it.
and,
b). It means operators who do stupid **** are more easily caught. (And punished appropriately)
How would registration achieve any of that?
The main reason new laws against drone operators are written is because of inconsiderate operators. (The gatwick incident is a prime example)
There have always been laws against flying around an active airport.
They didn't prevent whatever happened at Gatwick (which incidentally, isn't a prime example of anything - they still can't tell what actually happened there).
And I doubt anyone could explain how more laws would help.

Well... heres a thing.
Do you think people would fly around airports/during emergencies/anywhere they aren't supposed to be if the authorities could track them down within hours and punish them?

Would you prefer to register your drone for more accountability or an overall ban on drone use?

Here ya go!
I did actually find a timeline somewhere to do with the implementation, but cant find it now?

Drone safety review

Edit: Found it.

CASA has recently established a new Technical Working Group which has been tasked with developing policy for the imminent (in CASA timeframes) implementation of a drone registration and accreditation system.
The key terms and dates are laid out below.
KEY PRINCIPLES
The key principles that will be applied for the reform are the following:
• CASA intends to implement a mandatory drone registration system for all drones weighing more than 250 grams and used in Australia – registration may be completed by an organisation or a person;
• CASA intends to implement an accreditation system for all drone users operating recreationally or under the excluded RPA category – accreditation may only be completed by a person;
• Drone measures will be subject to cost recovery.
• Project launch and initial submissions: October 2018
• TWG meeting: November 2018
• Public consultation on detailed policy: December 2018 – February 2019
• Policy finalisation: March 2019
• Legislation drafting: April 2019
• Regulatory package to Department: May 2019

Well... heres a thing.
Do you think people would fly around airports/during emergencies/anywhere they aren't supposed to be if the authorities could track them down within hours and punish them?

Would you prefer to register your drone for more accountability or an overall ban on drone use?
Here's the thing .. do you think anyone wanting to fly with malicious intent is going to register their drone?
They have had drone registration in the US for three years now.
I'm not aware that it's actually achieved anything and have not even seen a report of anyone being fined for flying unregistered.
Compulsory drone registration is the kind of thing you bring in when you want to be seen to be doing something but have no idea how to do anything that makes any difference.

CASA have been pretty level-headed about things but Senator Barry O'Sullivan has kept up pressure on them.
He's convinced drones are bad and isn't particularly interested in facts.
https://www.smh.com.au/technology/q...ones-following-committee-20170906-gyc7ek.html

Last edited:
Reactions: Simmo
Easier said than done. How many people would bother? Does it apply to $50 drones? Would there be an age limit to fly drones? If an 8-year-old got a Tello for Christmas, does he/she need to register first? The range of drones is like from tricycles to sports cars. Where do you draw the line?
Whether got it for Christmas or not is probably irrelevant however some if not all of the other considerations you raised will be prescribed in the legislation...

Why would you bother? Probably to avoid being sanctions and penalised- to be if any use there has to be a corresponding penalty provision.

It’s ok different to fishing licences. People still fish without them. A few get buckled by the inspectors.

Here's the thing .. do you think anyone wanting to fly with malicious intent is going to register their drone?
They have had drone registration in the US for three years now.
I'm not aware that it's actually achieved anything and have not even seen a report of anyone being fined for flying unregistered.
Compulsory drone registration is the kind of thing you bring in when you want to be seen to be doing something but have no idea how to do anything that makes any difference.

CASA have been pretty level-headed about things but Senator Barry O'Sullivan has kept up pressure on them.
He's convinced drones are bad and isn't particularly interested in facts.
https://www.smh.com.au/technology/q...ones-following-committee-20170906-gyc7ek.html

I had t seen that article- the Senator has a serious hard-on for drone hobbyists. What a muppet.

Reactions: Meta4
Why would you bother? Probably to avoid being sanctions and penalised- to be if any use there has to be a corresponding penalty provision.
I asked "How many people would bother?". People who want to do the right thing will do what is required of them. They are already following regulations, whether there's compulsory registration or not.
It's the people who couldn't be bothered or dont care that will be a problem. Compulsory registration won't address the issue. Penalties have not stopped some people from drive-driving or speeding.

I had t seen that article- the Senator has a serious hard-on for drone hobbyists. What a muppet.
I tried talking with his people, made a submission and offered to give a demonstration to clear up some misconceptions.
He had already made up his mind and wasn't interested at all in anything counter to what he was already convinced of.
He didn't understand the change to allow <2kg commercial use without a licence.
He seemed to think that was a bad thing and would lead to all kinds of serious problems.
He couldn't see that it made no change to existing rules for flying <2kg drones.

Last edited:
Reactions: Simmo
I asked "How many people would bother?". People who want to do the right thing will do what is required of them. They are already following regulations, whether there's compulsory registration or not.
It's the people who couldn't be bothered or dont care that will be a problem. Compulsory registration won't address the issue. Penalties have not stopped some people from drive-driving or speeding.
That seems to be the way these things go- yes, absolutely.

I tried talking with his people, made a submission and offered to give a demonstration to clear up some misconceptions.
He had already made up his mind and wasn't interested at all in anything counter to what he was already convinced of.
He seemed to think that was a bad thing and would lead to all kinds of serious problems.
He couldn't see that it made no change to existing rules for flying <2kg drones.

There is no known cure for ignorance.

Can you tell us which Senator so we know who not to vote for?

Can you tell us which Senator so we know who not to vote for?
Don’t let the moustache fool you- it’s a matter of public record that on 14 November 2018 he stated in Parliament, to avoid attacks from other politicians concerning his anti-abortion views, "I'm going to declare my gender today - as I can - to be a woman, and then you'll no longer be able to attack me."

If more interest is business he conducted in preparing briefs for civil litigation in international aviation matters. Has there been one that involved a sUAV we missed?

Hi there. I recently completed a drone operators course in Perth with an approved CASA trainer. They train lots of private and government organisations all over Oz and Singapore. We intend to undertake limited commercial flying ops with these new business skills for business photography so there are many compliance mandatory requirements. As a business operator your are obliged to comply with many rules.

Non-commercially the fundamentals are still mandatory so there are no short cuts. It's a combination of safety and common sense. Once you have the basics sorted there is also a very high fun element too. My wife just bought me a Mav 2 for Xmas 2018 and I also learned on a Mav Pro so the transition was very easy. I've been into model RC flying scene since I was a child so I have a very high awareness of the issues with safety.

I also have a couple of budget drones like my MJX 101 (about F3 size) and Syma X5sw (about 1/3 F size). These are only budget drones/toys compared to the Mavs. Mavs are just under 1kg. These budget 'toys' are somewhat much harder to fly than the real Mavs but they teach you lots of patience and drone pilot skills so progressing to Mavs was a real treat (chalk and cheese). My Mav 2 is awesome (my wife is awesome too). There is lots to learn as a Newbie, but have fun too. I recently lost some skin and received a gouge on my hand from my MJX due to being a little careless by not following my safety training! #$*k those MJX blades stung like heck at the time and made my eyes water. Not a serious enough injury to loose digits but a reminder we have to be aware of the community around us. It would make some sense to have some rules, but what are the limits of theses rules? Just imagine getting hit in the head with a dead weight of a sub-1kg Mav2 travelling at 70km/hr in sports mode or falling out from the sky.

I'm waiting for my CASA certification for business purposes up to 7kgs. Based on my recent training the following websites may be useful related to this post. There are many other websites too. There is a free APP from CASA to help you with fly zones too. The following is useful for Newbies which I picked up on course. The Bill has not been introduced in Parliament yet but registration for drones will like happen as with any aircraft that operates in airspace. it is a progression. A CASA drone operators licence is free at the moment but that could change into the future too. The CASA people are very helpful. Some useful links:

List of recommendations – Parliament of Australia

Remotely piloted aircraft systems - frequently asked questions

If you want to operate commercially or even for recreation you can start with some basic training all the way up to very high professional standards for cinematography, engineering, surveying, etc. My instructor is a professional cadastral surveyor by trade working in a CASA approved RTO but is teaching Newbies for recreation and professionals too. A CASA approved trainer can help you along the way if you choose. Do what suits you but also have consideration for others too. Most importantly have fun and enjoy flying, it's healthier than smoking, drinking, gambling or riding sports bikes at high speed. LOL, no offence to anyone if you already have some or all of these vices as you can still fly drones at the same time.

Hope my Newbie advice is useful for others. Planning your flight op is mostly free but insurances and litigation will be costly. Don't forget to ask the Mav Community for any help and keep aware! Happy Newbie flying.

Kind regards Tim (Newbie)

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman