DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Australian travel bloggers detained in Iran possibly due to flying drone without permit

With the world stage as it is today, why the heck would any tourist even attempt to fly in Iran?

I think the two adventure bloggers most recently jailed in Iran were attempting to demonstrate that Iran is perfectly safe place for tourists to visit and all this fear mongering should stop.

I wonder how this guy's trip taking video of all the ancient buildings in Iran turned out?

Posted by @Mavro on MavicPilots.com on 8/30/2017 NOTE: In top 3 Google search results for "Mavic Iran"
NOTE: Original Post Was All In Bold

DO NOT TAKE YOUR DRONE, HELICAM, OR ANY OTHER FLYING DEVICES TO IRAN, THEY ARE BAN!!!!

Do not take your Drone, Helicam or any other flying devices to Iran, they are Ban!!! unless you have a permit before entering the country, it will be taken away if found in your luggage on arrival, and if you're lucky for them to miss it on arrival, they will take it away on departure going through security, trust me it's not worth the hassle after being through this for 5 days.

So I brought my mavic pro into Iran on Aug 20, 2017 thinking it would be a great place to take picures because of the beautiful scenery there. The big mistake (rokie mistake) I made was to not do my research before hand on bringing drone into country otherwise I would have seen where it would have be an issue, despite all my research when I was there, there is nothing saying it is ban from the country, but that's what some police said and that's what airport security are told, but some say you have to have a permit to fly it in the country, to save you the headache just leave it a home, because they will think you're a spy which is going to be a big mess explaining yourself, or you unknowingly fly near or over sensitive area for which they claim I did, and for which I didn't know because I was flying at a tourist attraction site. Even locals cannot take drone into the country they said.

So after 5 days of waiting, explaining why I was flying where I was flying and other questions, 3 different police stations, had my drone, Nikon 750 camera, memory cards, day bag searched, passport hold for 2 days because it was their weekend, I finally got everything back except for the memory card that was in the drone. So anyone else thinking of bringing thier Drone to Iran you might not be so lucky as I was, so I am very thankful I didn't end up in jail or didn't get back my drone. As one cheif said he would have given me 6 months in jail then immidate deportation, but he didn't. The country is very sensitive to spy, journalists, reporters, soldiers, etc so be very careful if you are in any of these professions .

Beside all that, I must say the Iranian police was VERY nice to me and treat me with the utmost respect, despite my situation and what could have happened to me, one even apologize to me for the trouble I have being through.

@Mavro Thank goodness you made it out okay. Any new drone adventures since?

Posted by @Mavro on MavicPilots.com on 8/30/2017 NOTE: In top 3 Google search results for "Mavic Iran"
NOTE: Original Post Was All In Bold

DO NOT TAKE YOUR DRONE, HELICAM, OR ANY OTHER FLYING DEVICES TO IRAN, THEY ARE BAN!!!!

Do not take your Drone, Helicam or any other flying devices to Iran, they are Ban!!! unless you have a permit before entering the country, it will be taken away if found in your luggage on arrival, and if you're lucky for them to miss it on arrival, they will take it away on departure going through security, trust me it's not worth the hassle after being through this for 5 days.

So I brought my mavic pro into Iran on Aug 20, 2017 thinking it would be a great place to take picures because of the beautiful scenery there. The big mistake (rokie mistake) I made was to not do my research before hand on bringing drone into country otherwise I would have seen where it would have be an issue, despite all my research when I was there, there is nothing saying it is ban from the country, but that's what some police said and that's what airport security are told, but some say you have to have a permit to fly it in the country, to save you the headache just leave it a home, because they will think you're a spy which is going to be a big mess explaining yourself, or you unknowingly fly near or over sensitive area for which they claim I did, and for which I didn't know because I was flying at a tourist attraction site. Even locals cannot take drone into the country they said.

So after 5 days of waiting, explaining why I was flying where I was flying and other questions, 3 different police stations, had my drone, Nikon 750 camera, memory cards, day bag searched, passport hold for 2 days because it was their weekend, I finally got everything back except for the memory card that was in the drone. So anyone else thinking of bringing thier Drone to Iran you might not be so lucky as I was, so I am very thankful I didn't end up in jail or didn't get back my drone. As one cheif said he would have given me 6 months in jail then immidate deportation, but he didn't. The country is very sensitive to spy, journalists, reporters, soldiers, etc so be very careful if you are in any of these professions .

Beside all that, I must say the Iranian police was VERY nice to me and treat me with the utmost respect, despite my situation and what could have happened to me, one even apologize to me for the trouble I have being through.

@Mavro Thank goodness you made it out okay. Any new drone adventures since?
Getting your gear back would seem to have been the least of your worries given the current predicament or the detained persons subject of this thread.

I would be buying a few lottery tickets if I was in your shoes- you might win twice.

Reactions: JAW
They were lucky Australia had someone to swap with the Iranian Government.

no, she is still stuck unfortunately. Australia needs to find something Iran want to trade. Human rights doesnt seem to be the main priority for them.

I think the two adventure bloggers most recently jailed in Iran were attempting to demonstrate that Iran is perfectly safe place for tourists to visit and all this fear mongering should stop.
Theres a trend here.

The religious mentalist going to banned islands to force his beliefs in the "unaware friendly tribes" ( US missionary killed by endangered Andaman island tribesmen ).

Or showing how "safe" certain places are: Were an American Couple Killed by Isis While Trying to 'Prove Humans Are Kind'?

A lot of people seem to either lack common sense, are naive or just arrogant enough to think they can do what they want, wherever they want.

Before travelling to *any* country you familiarise yourself with its laws, its customs, the political situation and so on. Not just for drones. Everything.

Yet time and time again people get caught out (kissing on the beach in Dubai == jail etc). Even on this board you see countless posts complaining about drones being confiscated or banned from flying when arriving somewhere because people clearly didnt bother checking or just arrogantly thought laws didnt apply to them.
Im constantly amazed by the seeming complete lack of research or planning people do before a trip.

As for Iran, its a beautiful country BUT currently has massive issues. Its political leadership is constantly at war with the religious leadership. Its a country under crippling sanctions imposed by the US and west in general and a country which at some point soon is going to be bombed heavily as the Saudis and Israelis are doing all they can to drag the US into doing it.
So quite clearly, anyone with common sense will realise that (i) outsiders from the west might not be overly welcome and (ii) paranoid security measures are going to be in place.
So if you DO go there, why risk doing things that will clearly inflame the situation?!

Reactions: BigAl07
Amazing how a lot of residents of the western world feel that all of the other countries must play by what they feel are their rules.Try putting graffiti on a temple somewhere because you feel it is your right?Play by their rules or wait for your government to dig you out.Entitlement is the word I am looking for.
Our governments set rules in place for drone operation that we are expected to follow.Are visitors to our country exempt?

Reactions: BigAl07
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frostseb