DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Autel soon to compete with DJIs Mini and Air2S.

Status
Not open for further replies.
They even have an Autel EVO 3 that is almost ready to be put on the market. Gotta love competition. I look at Autel as windows and DJI as apple. Windows is more open sourced, while apple is more restrictive.
I'm pretty sure Autel will be my next drone. The EVO II drones are pretty good and I expect the EVO 3 to be even better. If it doesn't have geofencing I'll be all over it. I detest having big brother making me jump through additional hoops beyond getting LAANC/ATC clearance in RZ's .... or even in areas that don't have RZ's.

I look at Autel as windows and DJI as apple. Windows is more open sourced, while apple is more restrictive.
I think of it as more like DJI is the original and Autel is the wannabe knockoff.
When did Autel last develop an original product rather than releasing a me-too after DJI brought something to the market?

I think of it as more like DJI is the original and Autel is the wannabe knockoff.
When did Autel last develop an original product rather than releasing a me-too after DJI brought something to the market?
That's true. Their only saving grace is their VTOL Dragonfish. Now that's a machine I'd love to own. I wonder how far off it would be able to be seen before it gets BVLOS.

I'm pretty sure Autel will be my next drone. The EVO II drones are pretty good and I expect the EVO 3 to be even better. If it doesn't have geofencing I'll be all over it. I detest having big brother making me jump through additional hoops beyond getting LAANC/ATC clearance in RZ's .... or even in areas that don't have RZ's.
I fly an Autel EVO Il along with a few DJI drones, the EVO II warns you of a restriction but as of now it does not prevent you from flying like DJI does with the GeoFencing. When DJI refuses to launch when I have a LAANC authorization, I grab the EVO II and happily fly the mission. DJI's method to unlock is a PITA.

Cheers!

I may pick one instead of the Mavic 3 if they come with european C classification.

The cops in my country bought several units of DJI Aeroscope a few years ago, so I don't feel confident flying DJI drones anymore, knowing that they come with an official MITM preinstalled.

I thought you could disable it from the app, but that's not true, even if you have the UUID and the other option disabled, the drone still communicates with the Aeroscope units and send your GPS location, your takeoff location, your flight path, the position of the drone, and the serial number.

There's already an 4/3 sensor and a 10x zoom sensor (optical?) with omnidirectional OA sensors confirmed, aside from the 1" sensor one... So a 4/3 sensor drone that doesn't sell me to the cops and has a C1 <900g classification? Yes please.

Last edited:
I fly an Autel EVO Il along with a few DJI drones, the EVO II warns you of a restriction but as of now it does not prevent you from flying like DJI does with the GeoFencing. When DJI refuses to launch when I have a LAANC authorization, I grab the EVO II and happily fly the mission. DJI's method to unlock is a PITA.

Cheers!
Yeah fly where you aren’t supposed to. Proud of all of ya ?

They even have an Autel EVO 3 that is almost ready to be put on the market. Gotta love competition. I look at Autel as windows and DJI as apple. Windows is more open sourced, while apple is more restrictive.
Yeah Autel is competition ?

Yeah Autel is competition ?
I admit, I use my Air2S at least twice as much as my EVO2 drones. Autel's flight characteristics for filming aren't nearly as good as DJIs. DJI makes better more agile machines. Autel is a little "clunky". I bought my EVO2s because of the camera systems and payload capacity. Plus, their lack of geofencing is convenient.

My experience currently is the EVO2's video quality is better than current DJI models. The Air2S video quality is almost equal to the EVO2 Pro. I'm looking forward to the Mavic 3, but may wait to buy depending on what Autel brings to the table.

Reactions: db4476

That is a perfect analogy.

I look at Autel as windows and DJI as apple. Windows is more open sourced, while apple is more restrictive.
But usually better designed (which still fits with your analogy).

Thanks for sharing

Yeah fly where you aren’t supposed to. Proud of all of ya ?
So, having a LAANC authorization overridden by DJI GeoFencing is a no-go? I'll follow the FAA method, if I get a LAANC authorization I'm good to go despite what DJI's system does.

I admit, I use my Air2S at least twice as much as my EVO2 drones. Autel's flight characteristics for filming aren't nearly as good as DJIs. DJI makes better more agile machines. Autel is a little "clunky". I bought my EVO2s because of the camera systems and payload capacity. Plus, their lack of geofencing is convenient.

My experience currently is the EVO2's video quality is better than current DJI models. The Air2S video quality is almost equal to the EVO2 Pro. I'm looking forward to the Mavic 3, but may wait to buy depending on what Autel brings to the table.
My experience with DJI and Autel is similar, while DJI drones fly a bit smoother, the Autel camera produces better results without the geofencing that DJI has. In the end, both a capable birds.

Cheers!

Reactions: cgmaxed

Cheers!
Even though I don’t really fly my Skydio no where as near as much as my Mavic Pro 2 Zoom, that is about the only time I’ll use it over the Mavic! But they’re starting to act funny too!

Reactions: db4476
I borrowed an Evo II from a colleague and ended up deciding not to buy one primarily due to the flight characteristics, not that it was terrible but I found it somewhat akin to flying a well mannered school bus. I’m sure I could have gotten used to it but didn’t have the desire. Also, unlike some of the others I preferred the M2Pro footage off the card and had already invested quite a lot of hours in learning the best post processing workflow for the DJI footage and didn’t see the need to re invent the wheel. I’m rarely in the air more than 20 minutes and if I absolutely had to it would be more cost efficient to just buy a piggyback battery adapter.

I think it is inevitable that will we see enforced lockout zones during the life of the EVO III simply due to pressure from the regulators. It’s a shame for sure but the way of the world.

As a commercial operator who does a lot of mapping and orthos I have to say that at this stage I can’t see myself buying either the EVO III or Pro 3 as both DJI and Autel seem to be missing the blindingly obvious being that regardless of sensor size, zoom ability or other selling points they really need to be providing a camera payload option with a hardware shutter and until they do my Phantom 4 Pro v2.0s are still going to be getting the majority of my air time.

if either are released with a hardware shutter option at some point I’ll be all over it in a flash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS