DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Authorization area has me confused.

rms59

Reactions
I would like some answers on these questions please. I haven't purchased a Mavic Air yet.

1. In the image below I am the marker with the black dot which is classified as an authorization zone by DJI since I'm in the blue area of a class C airport. However, I always here "5 miles of an airport" yet when I measure from the center of the airport to the edge of any blue area I only get 3.34 miles. Is there another circle not showing up? I used the DJI Go 4 app.

2. Assuming I get permission from the tower to fly for an hour does he give me a code or something? I mean how do I transfer the "yeah go ahead" from the tower to the DJI app. What is the method of unlocking? Thanks in advance.

zone.jpg

DJI - The World Leader in Camera Drones/Quadcopters for Aerial Photography
The geo zones map has been recently updated. See this page for an explanation and what is required for the unlocking procedure. There are no 5 miles radius circles around airports anymore. They're about 1.5 miles now. You still need to notify if within 5 miles, though. The tower cannot do anything to unlock your aircraft. These DJI maps are a guideline only, they do not show where it is legal or not legal to fly. Knowing that is your responsibility.

Last edited:
Thanks. I've been flying RC electric planes there (schoolyard) for over 50 years without a problem but I would like to mess around with a drone. The trees are pretty tall there so I rarely exceed tree height.

I just want to make sure the unlocking process on that link you gave me will unlock the Mavic in an authorization zone and not be stuck with an expensive paperweight. I don't intend to fly above the tree line (tall trees) or fly out of the area.

Thanks. I've been flying RC electric planes there (schoolyard) for over 50 years without a problem but I would like to mess around with a drone. The trees are pretty tall there so I rarely exceed tree height.

I just want to make sure the unlocking process on that link you gave me will unlock the Mavic in an authorization zone and not be stuck with an expensive paperweight. I don't intend to fly above the tree line (tall trees) or fly out of the area.
It looks like where you intend to fly is well within the surface airspace boundary for Bradley Intl. I would be surprised if they would want you flying there. The best thing to do is give them a call.

capture_001_27122018_182631.jpg

Reactions: Stxwrx
It looks like where you intend to fly is well within the surface airspace boundary for Bradley Intl. I would be surprised if they would want you flying there. The best thing to do is give them a call.

View attachment 57018

Flying as a hobbyist under current law, even in surface Class C airspace within 5 miles of an airport, only requires notification to the airport - it doesn't require permission.

Reactions: Stxwrx
Flying as a hobbyist under current law, even in surface Class C airspace within 5 miles of an airport, only requires notification to the airport - it doesn't require permission.
True, but I would have some concern if they objected to flying there for safety reasons. I'd rather drive a little bit to find a less objectionable place to fly, especially with so many airports nearby.

Reactions: sar104
My experiences as a hobbyist and calling towers of airports within 5 miles have all been positive. Had one tower official ask me all kinds of questions about my drone and flying. He was considering a purchase. You are not asking permission only advising. IF they have something they feel is unsafe about the area you are flying or an event in the area they will tell you. The AirMap app has had the tower numbers I have needed. Make the call, they don't bite!!

It used to be that you're only advising, but the new law does give them teeth now if they wanted to use them. It's just that FAA hasn't yet figured out an official process for getting authorization. Not all facilities participate in LAANC.

It used to be that you're only advising, but the new law does give them teeth now if they wanted to use them. It's just that FAA hasn't yet figured out an official process for getting authorization. Not all facilities participate in LAANC.

No - they have no teeth yet. We are in the transition period defined in Section 380 under which the existing regulations still apply.

Eventually, all hobbyists will have to pass a knowledge test. I am hoping with that comes some clearer rules to follow. For now, I will continue to advise the towers if I am within 5 miles of them.

Yep even though the new reauthorization law was passed, the last thing the FAA said was follow current rules until we tell you otherwise. So as of today, you just call the Airport and tell them were you are and what you will be doing. I have had nothing but positive results when I have flown as a hobbist and called. I have flown in a Class B, C and D and even in a couple of Restricted Airspaces where I had to get permission from the Marine Corps Airstation that had authority over the area.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peehead