DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Authorization Zone popped up from nowhere!

Jwatts2344

Reactions
Hello all, I've been flying my M2P in my neighborhood ever since I bought it over a year ago. I always take off in my driveway and I may fly around and take pics of landscapes and whatnot. Today when I went to take off, it said something like "Be careful, your path will enter a no fly zone" or something like that. I never updated the Fly zone software in months so I'm not sure why I am getting this. So, I was flying ok and in the middle of my second battery, it said something like... "You are in an unauthorized area and the aircraft will now land"... what? Luckily I was hovering about 50 feet taking some stills of my neighbor's flower design across the street! It started landing and I had just enough time to move over and avoid a big tree! Once it got to about 15 feet, I was able to just make it hover without it landing. I then flew it over to me and I landed her. I then tried to take off again and it says that I am in an authorized zone and do I want to unlock to fly. I fly in this same area about 3 times a week and this has never happened before!

I am in the process of charging my Smart Controller up and will try to fly again later and see if I have the same problem(s). Does anyone have an idea what could be going on? Where it wanted to land, I was just flying in that exact same spot just 20 minutes before without any problems! Any insight would be helpful.

Thanks.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I kept getting Strong signal interference warnings throughout the flights when I rarely have seen that warning.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Have you checked the DJI NFZ map for your exact location to see if anything is there? Today, not last week or month, but right now. See if something correlates to the message you got.

Have you checked the DJI NFZ map for your exact location to see if anything is there? Today, not last week or month, but right now. See if something correlates to the message you got.

Hmm... I just checked the map and I am several miles from the nearest NFZ. I'm not even near any lightly shaded areas. It's the same map for a few years now for my area. Maybe that strong signal interference made it temporarily go haywire or something. I will test it again in a few hours and give an update.

Thanks for all the replies.

I tried again and now it wants my phone number to get a one-time pass to fly but I am not in any NFZs or even an authorization zone. Is there a phone number I can call DJI with to ask why I'm getting this message?

Thanks.

• Wow
Reactions: TreeHugger
Hello all, I've been flying my M2P in my neighborhood ever since I bought it over a year ago. I always take off in my driveway and I may fly around and take pics of landscapes and whatnot. Today when I went to take off, it said something like "Be careful, your path will enter a no fly zone" or something like that. I never updated the Fly zone software in months so I'm not sure why I am getting this. So, I was flying ok and in the middle of my second battery, it said something like... "You are in an unauthorized area and the aircraft will now land"... what? Luckily I was hovering about 50 feet taking some stills of my neighbor's flower design across the street! It started landing and I had just enough time to move over and avoid a big tree! Once it got to about 15 feet, I was able to just make it hover without it landing. I then flew it over to me and I landed her. I then tried to take off again and it says that I am in an authorized zone and do I want to unlock to fly. I fly in this same area about 3 times a week and this has never happened before!

I am in the process of charging my Smart Controller up and will try to fly again later and see if I have the same problem(s). Does anyone have an idea what could be going on? Where it wanted to land, I was just flying in that exact same spot just 20 minutes before without any problems! Any insight would be helpful.

Thanks.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I kept getting Strong signal interference warnings throughout the flights when I rarely have seen that warning.

Thanks.
That's bizarre. You use the stock controller and app on a mobile device? The app / phone shows xx satellites + displays the local map accurately, I suppose... Do you ever fly with the controller only? Not sure what any of that has to do with anything - probably things I'd be looking at.

Reactions: Jwatts2344
That's bizarre. You use the stock controller and app on a mobile device? The app / phone shows xx satellites + displays the local map accurately, I suppose... Do you ever fly with the controller only? Not sure what any of that has to do with anything - probably things I'd be looking at.

I've always used my smart controller. I flew earlier and now I can't take off. :(

So that's a hard YES on the electronics knowing exactly where it is.
I'm not too far from a NFZ and get similar warnings all the time. Sorry for your troubles!
Did "Changing up the smart controller" produce any different behavior?
Also - what happens if you pack up and drive a mile or so.

Never mind. On the map, I see a VIP TFR good from 1230 to 1800 for that area - TFR 0/8200 VIP.

Bedford Ohio

intersect Rockside and Northfield Roads

So, inside the NOTAM/TFR I posted earlier? It covers most of Cleveland / Shaker Heights.

20BC2A9E-C868-488C-8E1D-3062CE1867AF.jpeg4499DD5C-90D0-4982-99CD-0F7875880DF8.jpeg

So....I'm aware of the DJI Flysafe and occasional updates to their NFZ database....but I was not aware that the system has a live, real-time connection to the FAA and it's TFR/NOTAM system in order to deploy these one-off warnings and restrictions?

How exactly does this work?

So....I'm aware of the DJI Flysafe and occasional updates to their NFZ database....but I was not aware that the system has a live, real-time connection to the FAA and it's TFR/NOTAM system in order to deploy these one-off warnings and restrictions?

That is an excellent question.

DJI Go / DJI Fly downloads a list of TFRs when you open the app while connected to the internet.

Busting a Presidential TFR can get you a visit from the US Secret Service, so I recommend pilots always check a flight planning app like AirMap or Kittyhawk before flying for the day, since these restrictions can change on a daily basis.

DJI Go / DJI Fly downloads a list of TFRs when you open the app while connected to the internet.

Busting a Presidential TFR can get you a visit from the US Secret Service, so I recommend pilots always check a flight planning app like AirMap or Kittyhawk before flying for the day, since these restrictions can change on a daily basis.
So - flying with a controller only - that doesn't have the ability to know, would have allowed flight? Plus some very busy SS agents perhaps? Yikes!

• Wow
So - flying with a controller only - that doesn't have the ability to know, would have allowed flight? Plus some very busy SS agents perhaps? Yikes!

Correct, if you fly solely with an "offline" device like a Smart Controller or tablet without an internet connection, then those TFRs will never be loaded to the app / drone. It uses the internet, so without an internet connection there's no way for it to update.

Reactions: TreeHugger

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bsplum