DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Authorization Zone popped up from nowhere!

Correct, if you fly solely with an "offline" device like a Smart Controller or tablet without an internet connection, then those TFRs will never be loaded to the app / drone. It uses the internet, so without an internet connection there's no way for it to update.

Okay, I use the SC. I didn't know that the flight software, when running from a tablet or phone with an Internet connection, had a live update feature with every launch.

Where does it grab from? Is there a 3rd party providing an updated database? Does DJI have hooks directly into an FAA database? I'd be very surprised if they do, considering the government stance on Chinese drones. I'm curious as to how this works.

Reactions: Jwatts2344
Where does it grab from? Is there a 3rd party providing an updated database? Does DJI have hooks directly into an FAA database? I'd be very surprised if they do, considering the government stance on Chinese drones. I'm curious as to how this works.

DJI is a LAANC partner, even though they haven't tied that into the Fly app (or anything else that I know of) yet.

NOTAMs are *not* sensitive information. *Everyone* should have access to NOTAMs, for obvious safety reasons. Kittyhawk, AirMap, and a lot of other apps do this, too.

Okay, I use the SC. I didn't know that the flight software, when running from a tablet or phone with an Internet connection, had a live update feature with every launch.

I believe the FAA publishes an API of flight restrictions that software providers can hook into. DJI is actually an FAA certified LAANC provider as well (but they haven't launched their own LAANC product yet), so there is no bad blood between the FAA and DJI.

Trump Entourage shut me down for almost a day, last week. Passed by the house on his way to Clearwater FL. Golf with the Boys. Governor, etc. No Masks Allowed. LOL ? No kidding.

In 1971, while stationed with Exec Flight at Davisson Army Airfield, we flew in and out of the Pentagon, General's Roll, and Andrews, in a tricked out UH-1H huey. Whenever POTUS was scheduled, all air traffic in the DC area was suspended for at least 20 minutes before and after POTUS scheduled departure/landing by Marine One. If we tried to lift off, a loud squeal will sound thru our helmets, indicating a no fly zone. Only other time I ever heard that squeal was flying thru a Arc Light strike zone in Vietnam.

• Wow
Reactions: Capt KO
Some thoughts:

NFZs change, but then you haven't upgraded the fly zone database

TFRs can pop up anywhere for a few days, and don't think those require an update to the fly zone database.

Chris
Very true about TFR’s. I have experienced that in an equally surprising situation in my backyard! When I checked B4UFLY, it showed it was restricted airspace. It stayed that way for a week. Then I learned it was during a visit by President Trump. 3 days before and 3 after.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robqwe