DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Authorization Zone Procedures

Hi. I'm still unable to secure authorization to take off using DJI Fly's self-unlock approach (no license).

I use my iPhone’s B4YOUFLY app to request LAANC approval through the Aloft companion app. I receive a text message saying “Request Approved, Authorized by FAA, Authorization ### is approved, etc.”

Following the beginning of my approved time slot I set up the drone & controller.

The DJI Fly app’s camera view shows the red “Authorization…” banner at the top of the screen indicating I'm not authorized to fly.

After satisfying myself that everything is ready I press and hold the takeoff icon.

I check the three boxes (I'm qualified, I assume liability, I agree to upload DJI hardware device info) and tap “OK”.

DJI Fly then briefly displays, “Request Failed. Restart App or Contact DJI Support for assistance (Error Code: -1).

Restarting the app results in the same outcome.

I don’t understand why my request is failing. Any guidance as to what I’m doing incorrectly would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Update:
I contacted DJI support. They took some information and responded that they'd changed my "certificate" to "circle" and recommended that I log out and back into my DJI account.

I closed and reopened my DJI Fly app (I received no prompt to enter my account password) and was then able to take off. This is my VERY FIRST FLIGHT(!), and though it was brief it was REALLY FUN - and the drone landed safely.

I don't recall reading anything in DJI's instructions about a "certificate" let alone what a "circle" type means (is this the general shape of my approved flight area within the authorization zone?). I'm guessing that restarting the app may have had more to do with my securing authorization to take off than changing my certificate type.

Hi. I'm still unable to secure authorization to take off using DJI Fly's self-unlock approach (no license).

I use my iPhone’s B4YOUFLY app to request LAANC approval through the Aloft companion app. I receive a text message saying “Request Approved, Authorized by FAA, Authorization ### is approved, etc.”

Following the beginning of my approved time slot I set up the drone & controller.

The DJI Fly app’s camera view shows the red “Authorization…” banner at the top of the screen indicating I'm not authorized to fly.

After satisfying myself that everything is ready I press and hold the takeoff icon.

I check the three boxes (I'm qualified, I assume liability, I agree to upload DJI hardware device info) and tap “OK”.

DJI Fly then briefly displays, “Request Failed. Restart App or Contact DJI Support for assistance (Error Code: -1).

Restarting the app results in the same outcome.

I don’t understand why my request is failing. Any guidance as to what I’m doing incorrectly would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
You are still missing a step. You are getting clearance from the FAA, but you also need to unlock the zone using the DJI Flysafe website, Fly Safe - DJI (scroll down to "unlock a zone"). In my experience, there is no alternative to doing this, you can't use an app, you must log in and use the DJI website.

After you do that, you will see a license in your DJI Fly app. After you connect to the drone, you must transfer the license to the drone. Otherwise it won't take off. There are YouTube videos that can help you. For example,

Reactions: elsenor
You are still missing a step. You are getting clearance from the FAA, but you also need to unlock the zone using the DJI Flysafe website,
Thanks very much for the helpful video - the most recent of several I've watched attempting to figure this out.

First, let me reiterate that I was able to take my first flight today after first getting FAA approval via the B4YOUFLY/Aloft app and then the DJI Fly app on my phone. I did have to contact DJI Support to make that happen, but the representative who helped me said nothing about a license, nor did I ever need to import one to my aircraft to enable takeoff. At least one DJI video I've watched states that there are two processes available for unlocking GEO zones - one ("zone self-unlocking") which can be done with a phone and no license and the other requires a computer and generates a license which must then be imported to the aircraft as you described.

Second, the DJI representative recommended that chances of successfully unlocking are better with the "custom unlocking" method which can only be done using a computer. He explained that the "unlocked area you draw will not be disturbed by other no-fly zones and other areas. So it's easier to succeed."

Given his advice and that of the vast majority of the folks on this forum who've been so generously trying to help me, I decided to have a go at the license approach. Things seemed to go smoothly up until DJI's website would not allow me to go forward with my submission until I upload at least one document from my local airport or aviation authority granting me permission to fly within the authorization zone.

Umm... what?!?

Earlier in this thread Paint Rock Drones had kindly provided an image of an unlock request form (partly redacted) which included all the questions I'd been asked except for this last one asking me to upload unspecified documents conveying authoritative approval for me to fly within my authorization zone.

Assuming this isn't a brand new requirement, how do more experience pilots recommend that I respond to this document request?

Thanks!

I think you are so close. My guess is that you selected a custom unlock rather than a zone unlock. Zone unlock does not require documents, custom does.

By the way, I have also seen documentation saying you should be able to unlock from the DJI app, but I have never managed to make it work. Perhaps someone else has. I have only been able to unlock using the DJI website.

By the way, I don't know why the DJI support folks recommended custom unlock. It is significantly more time consuming and requires more steps.

think you are so close. My guess is that you selected a custom unlock rather than a zone unlock. Zone unlock does not require documents, custom does.
You're spot on! After securing FAA approval via B4YOUFLY/Aloft for some flight time within my Authorization Zone later this morning, I requested a zone unlock (no documentation upload requirement), and it was immediately accepted. I was able to transfer the license to my MA2. I'm hoping that the drone's license memory is nonvolatile so I don't have to transfer the license again before the actual flight. I'll find out soon enough.

I suspect that someday it may become necessary to request a custom unlock, and it would be interesting to find out what documentation is typically required and from whom it must be secured.

Many thanks to you and to everyone on this forum who've been so generously helping me along!

The bad news is that most areas that would require a custom unlock also require a part 107 certification. The good news is that during the part 107 training you will learn what documentation is required to enter those areas.

I have been a little surprised at how difficult the OP has found it to fly. I am a Part 107 pilot and use Aloft for authorizations and B4UFLY to check for TFRs. I have never flown at the end of a runway like one poster, but I have flown at the edge of the San Jose airport where my ceiling was 300’. I have never had the need to use the DJI website for unlocking a geozone and have always done that in either GO4 or DJI Fly. It must be that some parts of the controlled airspace are treated differently by DJI than others. Or, it treats me differently as a Part 107 pilot. I have wondered how it treats those people with a Mini2 or M3P who don’t even have a registration.

Reactions: db4476 and MS Coast
I have been a little surprised at how difficult the OP has found it to fly. I am a Part 107 pilot and use Aloft for authorizations and B4UFLY to check for TFRs. I have never flown at the end of a runway like one poster, but I have flown at the edge of the San Jose airport where my ceiling was 300’. I have never had the need to use the DJI website for unlocking a geozone and have always done that in either GO4 or DJI Fly. It must be that some parts of the controlled airspace are treated differently by DJI than others. Or, it treats me differently as a Part 107 pilot. I have wondered how it treats those people with a Mini2 or M3P who don’t even have a registration.
I'm guessing the difference is more in the phone than the drone. I have an android, and have always had to use the DJI website. Also, as I understand it, the geozone firmware is loaded in the drone, so it will prevent entry into what DJI considers a restricted zone regardless, of registration, which app is on the phone, and part 107 status.

I'm guessing the difference is more in the phone than the drone. I have an android, and have always had to use the DJI website. Also, as I understand it, the geozone firmware is loaded in the drone, so it will prevent entry into what DJI considers a restricted zone regardless, of registration, which app is on the phone, and part 107 status.
I have used both my iPhone and an Android TriplTek Pro 8 and both unlock just fine in DJI Fly.

I can't transfer 2 new accepted no fly zones to my iPad app...it just won't download and update, and I can't figure out also how to remove an old NFZ flight that I used last year. I have recently sold my P4P to use this Mavic 2 Pro and I'm trying to pre-accept these zones to the drone at home as my iPad doesn't have wifi but nothing is changing at all. I thought maybe an issue with changing drones could be a culprit. I deleted the Go4 app and re-installed it, my data is the same, the same old NFZ is there in the app etc.
I hit 'Refresh' within the 'Me' page as you begin the DJI Go4 app prior to the Go Fly tab, the 'My Unlock NFZ Application' page in the App and it just won't update. It's totally driving me nuts, I've seen many forum posts now where people are having the same issue - and they conclude with being unsolved. I have tried all the methods I could find and thought maybe I'm missing something but I'm pretty sure I've followed the process to the T, some seem to have tried logging in and out several times and got a result, others not. I have several jobs that I applied for authority to fly in and they were accepted straight away within the DJI flysafe site. Can anyone suggest anything else I should try? Thanks in advance.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maliyindian