DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Authorization???

Transition

Reactions
3D8E742E-9EB7-4273-9A2B-58E502A19C83.jpeg
Hi, I had FAA authorization to fly in a restricted zone (on a golf course at the back of my condo). I called ATC 30 mins before I was about to take off as requested. When I went out to fly it would not take off and said I need to unlock. To do so, I had to go back to my apartment to get an internet connection. Then the above screen appeared. Sorry if I sound dumb, but what am I meant to put in there? I didn’t receive anything from DJI???

Also, why is it sometimes I can start my drone (Mini 2) in my apartment and other times I can’t??? So frustrating! If somebody could please walk me through this I’d so appreciate it!

Thank you!
Mark

Getting permission from ATC or getting approval through LAANC is part of the equation. DJI has Geo zones set up around airports that don't match how the FAA has it laid out.

To unlock the Geo zone, you'll have to go to DJI's website. You'll have to provide information that you've gotten local approval. If approved, you'll get a code that you enter to unlock it.

This video should help you with the specifics.

I live on a golf course and have 5 small airports 3-5miles away and have never seen this on any of my DJI drones. I hope this is not another hoop we have to jump through.

Currently have Mavic 2 Pro and Mavic Mini 3 pro

@Transition What the does the B4UFly app show for your location?

This is my B4UFLY and UAV Forecast as of now

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-08-10_095002.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-08-10_095002.jpg
    994 KB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot_2022-08-10_095020.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-08-10_095020.jpg
    783.2 KB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot_2022-08-10_095240.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-08-10_095240.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 13
You do need a wifi connection to confirm the final unlock process so out in the field you need to set your phone as a wifi hotspot and connect your controller to that. The code will then go through to your phone

You do need a wifi connection to confirm the final unlock process so out in the field you need to set your phone as a wifi hotspot and connect your controller to that. The code will then go through to your phone
It won’t connect using the cellular data of your phone? I thought it just needed a connection to the internet.

It won’t connect using the cellular data of your phone? I thought it just needed a connection to the internet.
Yes precisely that. Setting your phone as a wifi hotspot when it has no direct wifi connection uses your cellular data connection on your phone. In Wifi settings on the Mini 3 pro controller you will then see your phone as a wifi connection. It works fine for me.

Reactions: QuaiOui
Yes precisely that. Setting your phone as a wifi hotspot when it has no direct wifi connection uses your cellular data connection on your phone. In Wifi settings on the Mini 3 pro controller you will then see your phone as a wifi connection. It works fine for me.
But my point was why would you have to turn your WiFi hotspot on at all. My phone provides an internet connection over cellular without having to turn the WiFi hotspot on. The controller is wired to the phone and goes thru the phones cellular internet connection for access to the internet. No need to turn the WiFi hotspot on. Or am I missing something.

I can't account for every type of phone. Look at your controller wifi settings and see if it is connected to your phone. If it is then I don't know what the problem is. If not then you need to find the way to connect it. Plenty of YouTube videos to help if you're still stuck.

I can't account for every type of phone. Look at your controller wifi settings and see if it is connected to your phone. If it is then I don't know what the problem is. If not then you need to find the way to connect it. Plenty of YouTube videos to help if you're still stuck.
I think he's talking about a controller with a screen attached liked the RC pro or something, maybe or a tablet without phone service. Obviously, if you are using your phone as the screen on the RC then, NO you don't need some wifi setting enabled.

Reactions: wags1
I think he's talking about a controller with a screen attached liked the RC pro or something, maybe or a tablet without phone service. Obviously, if you are using your phone as the screen on the RC then, NO you don't need some wifi setting enabled.
No one mentioned using an RC Pro and this is a Mini 2 thread and the vast majority of folks using Mini 2’s are using the standard controller that connects directly to a phone and uses the phone as the screen. That is why I’m confused as to this discussion about turning on the phones hotspot for wifi. No need to do that when using the stock controller and wire connected phone as long as your phone has cellular data turned on. “WiFi” and an internet connection are two different things.

Reactions: Bob in Savannah
No one mentioned using an RC Pro and this is a Mini 2 thread and the vast majority of folks using Mini 2’s are using the standard controller that connects directly to a phone and uses the phone as the screen. That is why I’m confused as to this discussion about turning on the phones hotspot for wifi. No need to do that when using the stock controller and wire connected phone as long as your phone has cellular data turned on. “WiFi” and an internet connection are two different things.
Im aware no one mentioned it. lol. I was just offering "some kind" of reasoning behind the OP's post because OBVIOUSLY I agree with you.

Reactions: wags1
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Schmidteh121