DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Autistic kid harrassed by Drone

No disrespect, but it sounds like the woman has more of a mental illness than her kids. She and her kids were in a public place. Privacy in such a place can not be expected. However, why someone would be filming kids is odd. That's if the drone even had it's camera recording. More than half the time, I don't have my camera recording. A person with a cell phone could easily film them without the "Mum" knowing. Why this made the news is in and of itself strange. People really do have a severe paranoia toward drones. It's drone hysteria.

No disrespect, but it sounds like the woman has more of a mental illness than her kids. She and her kids were in a public place. Privacy in such a place can not be expected. H
Whilst you are likely correct that in a public park there is little expectation of a right to privacy, the following is taken from a webpage Drone safely this Christmas
of the relevant national authority

"10 drone safety tips from the IAA:

1. Fly your drone no higher than 120 metres (400 feet).
  2. Make sure you can see your drone when flying (no more than 300 metres away).
  3. Do not fly your drone over an assembly of people, for example, at a parade, a concert or sports event.
  4. Do not fly your drone within 5 kilometres of an airport or military controlled airspace.
  5. Do not fly within 120 metres of a person, vehicle, vessel or structure not under your direct control.
  6. Do not operate your drone outside of your direct line of sight.
  7. Do not fly your drone in a restricted area such as a prison or military installation.
  8. Always seek permission from the landowner for take-off and landing.
  9. Make sure you register as an operator at iaa.ie/drones It’s the law
  10. Drone safety is your responsibility. Never operate your drone in a negligent or reckless manner to endanger life or property of others. "

There will be, unfortunately, drone pilots who do not follow the rules. As @PhiliusFoggg points out in #5, this pilot didn't. Even if the drone got as close as she says it did, the pilot should have moved off once they noticed the kid and/or Mom getting upset. (Recording or not, they could see) While it is a pubic space, "everyone" should be able to enjoy it.

There will be, unfortunately, drone pilots who do not follow the rules. As @PhiliusFoggg points out in #5, this pilot didn't. Even if the drone got as close as she says it did, the pilot should have moved off once they noticed the kid and/or Mom getting upset. (Recording or not, they could see) While it is a pubic space, "everyone" should be able to enjoy it.
It's sort of like invading a person's personal space , if you will. If your alone in a park, most people would be upset if a group came along and sat within 20 ft of them when the park is like 200 square feet. Same goes for drones. The cameras make it feel like an invasion of personal space if you get too close to someone. My neighbors are only happy, when I get to about 200-250 ft before I fly out over their houses and outside the neighborhood boundaries. Flying lower than that, they feel like , it's an invasion of personal space and privacy.

No disrespect, but it sounds like the woman has more of a mental illness than her kids. She and her kids were in a public place. Privacy in such a place can not be expected. However, why someone would be filming kids is odd. That's if the drone even had it's camera recording. More than half the time, I don't have my camera recording. A person with a cell phone could easily film them without the "Mum" knowing. Why this made the news is in and of itself strange. People really do have a severe paranoia toward drones. It's drone hysteria.
The woman and her child have every right to be enjoying the park peacefully. What the drone pilot did in this situation borders on harassment. I think you need to also educate yourself on ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder) and then maybe you will better understand the perspective of the child’s mother.

Chris

The woman and her child have every right to be enjoying the park peacefully. What the drone pilot did in this situation borders on harassment. I think you need to also educate yourself on ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder) and then maybe you will better understand the perspective of the child’s mother.

Chris
The children and mother have every right, as you said, but so does a drone pilot, in a public space, have the right to fly around. I doubt the pilot got as close to the people as the mother described.

Speaking of Autism, I have it and am disabled because of it. Yes, I'm on the spectrum. I know all about the condition. Probably not as severe as that kids. But supposing he did have it, he probably wouldn't have thought twice about the drone.

Take no offense. But, I made my statements with the presumption the mother overexaggerated the situation. I have a feeling the mother's accounts were inaccurate. She's just being overprotective of the children. Think about it, why would someone flying a drone, take such an interest in 3 people in a park. If the pilot did take an interest,, I doubt he filmed it and even stayed very long. These are just my presumptions. I just don't believe the mother's account of the story. Just because the news prints something, doesn't mean it's accurate.

Although some of these incidents are over exaggerated, they do happen and are often very annoying to the average person. While I usually have people with more interest in the drone itself, flying close to people (not expecting a drone close to them) is completely wrong. I fly at a park that allows drones and RC aircraft and have been harassed by drones. I don't know if their intentions were just being nosy or if they were trying to run us out of there. Just being within 100 feet of me caused concerns of my aircraft hitting the drone. Why fly over to people and screw with them? Start a fight? Yeah I was upset in each similar case. Drones often seem to expose the stupidity in the irresponsible pilots and why RID is on its way.

Happens a lot... you are taking some photos of the sunset, and don't even doubt it, everyone that notices the drone within 200 m radius will automatically believe he is James Bond, and is being spied by the communist supervilian... muahahaha.

Get used to it, everyone believes the center of the universe ¬_¬U

PS: Videofeed is not recording, unless you are literally recording.

Last edited:
Happens a lot... you are taking some photos of the sunset, and don't even doubt it, everyone that notices the drone within 200 m radius will automatically believe he is James Bond, and is being spied by the communist supervilian... muahahaha.

Get used to it, everyone believes the center of the universe ¬_¬U

PS: Videofeed is not recording, unless you are literally recording.
You hit the nail on the head. I notice when i'm flying over the ocean like 200 ft from the shoreline and filming boats, dolphins, sharks or fish or just looking for something interesting, the people along the shore line all think the drone is watching them. Their all brainwashed sheep.

Although some of these incidents are over exaggerated, they do happen and are often very annoying to the average person. While I usually have people with more interest in the drone itself, flying close to people (not expecting a drone close to them) is completely wrong. I fly at a park that allows drones and RC aircraft and have been harassed by drones. I don't know if their intentions were just being nosy or if they were trying to run us out of there. Just being within 100 feet of me caused concerns of my aircraft hitting the drone. Why fly over to people and screw with them? Start a fight? Yeah I was upset in each similar case. Drones often seem to expose the stupidity in the irresponsible pilots and why RID is on its way.
I certainly wouldn't fly a drone around an RC aircraft field or around the hobbyists. That's just plane ignorant. RC aircraft take a lot more discipline and concentration to fly than a drone. Drone flying, unless your a professional photographer or filmmaker, doesn't require much skill at all. Except for those racing FPV drones.

I certainly wouldn't fly a drone around an RC aircraft field or around the hobbyists. That's just plane ignorant. RC aircraft take a lot more discipline and concentration to fly than a drone. Drone flying, unless your a professional photographer or filmmaker, doesn't require much skill at all. Except for those racing FPV drones.
The problem is people do stupid stuff. I do take a lot of these incidents lightly, mainly because I wasn't there to see the truth. But I just don't understand some of these drone operators intentions. Like a few flying drones are wanting a reaction. I knew a guy who loved to point a laser pointer at in flight aircraft. The same guy got a kick out of chasing cats with his Parrot drone. He's a friggin idiot.

It's called common sense and at least most of us fly or do things in a courteous manner. And you can spin that around to point at people who hate drones when they complain about a drone 500 feet away from them claiming their space has been invaded. Seem there are many folks out there with an entitlement attitude.

This was very disappointing to read . Even in in my home town there are complete idiots.
It says it was flown within feet of him. That obviously is a ridiculous thing to do, and almost all of the drone pilots here wouldn't think of doing such a thing. It's just as silly to call for no cameras in drones. That would be like asking to remove all cameras from cell phones.

I doubt the drone operator had the drone as close as the woman claimed. The operator may have just been flying around and as the mom said her son had waved at the drone. Maybe the the operator brought the drone closer so the kid could see it. The mom has two special needs kids and probably is a bit overly sensitive to any kind of intrusion or is maybe just looking for a reason to complain.

I have a feeling, the drone wasn’t hovering over them as long as she stated.
But that it was flying around, happened across them, and moved on.
her one son noticed it, and waved.
this probably got the pilots attention, so they flew over, to either show off, or to get them in the video.
to me, the mother totally over reacted, and even admits, that if it were someone with a phone or camera she could see, she could’ve confronted them directly.
this tells me that she’s done this before, and that because she couldn’t yell at anyone, it upset her.
I’ve never run across a Karen when flying, and hopefully never will.
after reading the article, I don’t think the pilot did anything wrong.
but if they hovered over them like she said they did, then yes, it’s a pretty dirty thing to do.
but when you’re in a public place, the best thing to do is just ignore them.

Reactions: Alky1229 and Jam0ne
My impression from the account above is this mother was using her child's disability to do what she wanted to do (ie, to make big noise about the 'event'). I couldn't think of any reason how the drone pilot would know of her child's disability and intentionally did what he did.

Reactions: Alky1229
My impression from the account above is this mother was using her child's disability to do what she wanted to do (ie, to make big noise about the 'event'). I couldn't think of any reason how the drone pilot would know of her child's disability and intentionally did what he did.
That's very true. How would the drone pilot know if the kid was disabled or not. It's kind of disgusting that the mother would or may have used her kids disability to garner attention from the media. If it wasn't for the kid's disability, the article would likely not have been printed. She had to take time out of her day to pick up the phone, be put on hold and actually contact the news media about the drone and her child being disabled. Why would she want to bring attention to herself and her child's disability. I wouldn't, but I'm a private person. The news article is more of an invasion of privacy than the drone could ever be.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
odofi