DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Auto land on low battery

HoosierFlyer

Reactions
What has been your experience when your battery level goes below 15% and the dji fly app tells you the drone will auto land in it’s current spot? I was taking a hyperlapse this evening and wanted every bit out of the battery. I finished what I could and shortly after while the drone was flying back to me, I received the dreaded “landing now!” message pop up. You cannot cancel this from what I can tell, BUT you can still maneuver around and fly back to safety while holding up on left stick so as now to lose altitude.
I also noticed RTH did not work any more at this point.

So, what has been your experience and any tips that I missed?

I only get in this position now if I am directly above the aircraft, I had one experience where i was trying to come back from doing exactly what you were doing for a hyper lapse and i almost didn't make it back over some trees so I sobered up on that really quick. The bird comes down at a certain point (varies but i think its around 5% most the time) no matter what and if you risk it one day that's going bite you.

1593139185174.png

My rule is have the drone within a 400 hundred feet when the battery is under 30%
You need to learn to live a little! You can easily still fly 2,000 feet when the battery reaches 0%, especially if you build in enough altitude to compensate for an uncancelable descent, which may or may not occur at 5%. Haven't tested it with the MA2, but the M2's descent is cancelable and you can even still ascend, until the drone drops from the sky at below 3.0V per cell, which occurs 2 minutes after 0% is reached!

You need to learn to live a little! You can easily still fly 2,000 feet when the battery reaches 0%, especially if you build in enough altitude to compensate for an uncancelable descent, which may or may not occur at 5%. Haven't tested it with the MA2, but the M2's descent is cancelable and you can even still ascend, until the drone drops from the sky at below 3.0V per cell, which occurs 2 minutes after 0% is reached!
It probably won’t matter the damage you’re doing to your battery because you’ll lose the drone long before the battery dies.

I follow the old saw about "there are no old bold pilots". Got my alarms set for 30% and 20%. The 30 percent alarm goes off, turning for home no argument. I use whatever is left for downloading, tweaking the menus, etc. I have pushed the low battery to the edge just to see how it works but even the drone was directly overhead.

Sure but this all depends on where you are flying and the weather conditions. I fly in dense populated areas and cannot afford to miscalculate a return. The MA2 auto lands after the battery reaches a certain level and I don't want any auto programs taking over because I wanted to fly a minute or two longer. I also have 3 batteries, so a quick pit stop and Im back up in the air again.

Reactions: Bob1956
What has been your experience when your battery level goes below 15% and the dji fly app tells you the drone will auto land in it’s current spot? I was taking a hyperlapse this evening and wanted every bit out of the battery. I finished what I could and shortly after while the drone was flying back to me, I received the dreaded “landing now!” message pop up. You cannot cancel this from what I can tell, BUT you can still maneuver around and fly back to safety while holding up on left stick so as now to lose altitude.
I also noticed RTH did not work any more at this point.

So, what has been your experience and any tips that I missed?

Squeezing every bit out of your batteries is a good way to destroy them.

You asked for experiences with Low Battery RTH, well almost lost my drone because wanted to fly longer. Good to understand how that feature works, it only gives you 10 seconds to cancel RTH. Auto landing cannot be canceled, but the remote controller can be used to alter the direction of the aircraft during the landing process. This is the worst type of RTH, and is one best avoided, just like pilots of airplanes, never want to be in a situation where their fuel light starts blinking. They have to start looking for a place to land, same situation, if no action is taken after a 10 second countdown. You can double check what I said about Low Battery RTH. Pilots can do what they want, we all have choices to make.

What has been your experience when your battery level goes below 15% and the dji fly app tells you the drone will auto land in it’s current spot?
My drone started to “auto land” while over water (300 metres out in Sydney Harbour). I only just saved it using the “left stick up” technique, I was very bad experience and my crash landing almost hit some people (as I had very little control) .

DJI should fix this problem immediately and make “autoland” cancellable, just as you can cancel “return to home”. The drone Pilot should always be the decision maker in any emergency, not the drone which has no understanding of the location or situation.

Battery life/care is also my lowest concern when I am in an emergency.

Reactions: tiwag and JackL
I am very conservative when flying the mavic air 2. One it reach 55%, I bring back to me and I proceed with the next battery.

My drone started to “auto land” while over water (300 metres out in Sydney Harbour). I only just saved it using the “left stick up” technique, I was very bad experience and my crash landing almost hit some people (as I had very little control) .

DJI should fix this problem immediately and make “autoland” cancellable, just as you can cancel “return to home”. The drone Pilot should always be the decision maker in any emergency, not the drone which has no understanding of the location or situation.

My understanding is that DJI is trying to avoid the drone from ever falling out of the sky, that's why if the battery gets low enough the user can't stop the drone from descending.

Throttle up to maintain altitude and fly it back to home manually. Thats the only way. Only 5% battery left in this flight :

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: Motorcycle Rider

Surely the best way to avoid this “problem” is not fly over water with too little battery power remaining?

Sydney Harbour is a Strictly No Fly Zone.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gaffito