DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Auto or manual exposure for the upcoming solar eclipse

I haven't had a chance to try this yet because of weather here, so I would like to ask you guys. I have a Mini 4 pro, The day of the eclipse, I would just want to send the drone up and let it sit there and just pan in place in a circle with the camera pointing straight out. very slowly a few minutes before totality over the house, until the battery sends it to RTH. Kind of just a set it and forget it. I was thinking maybe cruise control? Just a little left stick to make it turn in place very slowly. Would that work? Or is there another way? Also, how big of a file would 4k video be about 20-30 min. long?
Good morning everybody

Reactions: RodPad
No, no "set and forget". You must be attentive and flying the drone the entire time it's in the air, watching for possible collision or mechanical failure of the drone, ready to try any safely get it on the ground with whatever control you may have immediately.

Just found this thread, somebody gave me quick link of the April date?

Thanks in advance.

Rod ..

@Zbip57
Thanks again!

I would like to share these links for crApple and Android.

When the last one came by here, I wasn't in the center, and was also cloudy.

You can view the sun, moon,.etc.

Anyways, the picture this guy took, is that Halloween or not?

Rod ..

No, no "set and forget". You must be attentive and flying the drone the entire time it's in the air, watching for possible collision or mechanical failure of the drone, ready to try any safely get it on the ground with whatever control you may have immediately.

Collision with what?

It will be right above our yard. As if anybody else won't be doing it. I'm not saying it's right. But once in a lifetime! We are in the country. If anything happens I'm right here to react. Controller right next to solar scope. VLOS

Sounds like you've got your plan figured out. Hope you post the results! Now to pray for clear skies...
I live about 5 miles east of Forney TX, on US 80. so I'm almost dead center in the path of Totality. But advanced weather forecasts are currently showing a 58% chance of rain, with thunderstorms in the afternoon. So the solar filter that I just bought for my SLR may not be of much use. :( 52mm ND100000 Solar Filter | K&F Concept Lens Filters | KentFaith

On another subject, nobody in this area, will probably able to go anywhere on the 8th because of the number of visitors that we will be inundated with. Most of the local school districts are closed on that day. We've been told to have our cars gassed up and to stock up on food.

Last edited:
same here. not much hope for clear skies in Ohio. We will be hunkered down on the 8th. do to traffic

It will be right above our yard. As if anybody else won't be doing it. I'm not saying it's right. But once in a lifetime! We are in the country. If anything happens I'm right here to react. Controller right next to solar scope. VLOS

Naive and reckless.

Farthest thing from the truth. ONCE IN A LIFETIME

You are required to be directly watching your aircraft at all times, and be in control of it. 100% of the time. There are many very good safety reasons for this.

You've made it very clear you will be doing neither.

It's extremely unlikely that anything bad will happen. Infinitesimally microscopic probability.

However, if something bad happens, and had you been attending your responsibilities as a pilot you could have avoided it, you'll be in some serious trouble.

Forgetting the legal issues, I'd have a hard time living with killing the people in a life flight helicopter because it hit my drone while I was watching the eclipse. Tiny tiny risk, enormous impact.

Thanks for all the comments. I've had some more time to think about this. I will be parking the drone on eclipse day. Being a once in a lifetime event, I want to take in every minute of the day. Also, with my bad luck, the above mentioned things would all happen to me LOL. Thanks guys

Kudos to you, @jmc667, in these parts that's what we call character and integrity.

No one can think of or imagine every scenario. That's one of the reasons we have rules. 😁

Other drones. Bird attacks. Low-flying aircraft. Monitor for flyaway.

Aviate, navigate, communicate in that order. Spectate is a lower priority than those.

What about meteors or aliens?

Both are about as unrealistic as your scenarios.

What about meteors or aliens?

Both are about as unrealistic as your scenarios.

Uh, no.

Meteors, possible, but no rule can mitigate the risk of a meteor strike.

Aliens? Impossible.

Birds? Unlikely but hardly a remote risk. People post here regularly about bird close encounters, and even the occasional strike.

Low-flying aircraft? All the time in urban areas... helicopters.

While the risk is very low, it's not zero, and I'm betting that even you don't want to be responsible for bringing down a life flight helicopter with a critically injured victim hanging on to life.

Things like this aren't put on hold during eclipses, or other extraordinary events.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volidas