DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Autopilot: Waypoints - Loss of signal issues/questions

Im using the DJI beta screen and curious what you mean by not having the same features, camera settings etc seem to be there.

In the DJI GO4 app, the indicators on the top of your screen are clickable. So, if you click on the remote control icon, it actually opens that menu. And it doesn't do that in Autopilot. So.... It's more a gimmick (for me though)
Same goes (very important) for the camera settings

Also just a side note but one time when I did a complex waypoint mission I had issues but did not immediately realize I had some 20 plus apps running in the background! Once I closed them properly and rebooted the iPad no more issues.
I always close all app before running a mission. I have deleted all the wave points and in the process of remaking the mission to see if I have any problems.

In the DJI GO4 app, the indicators on the top of your screen are clickable. So, if you click on the remote control icon, it actually opens that menu. And it doesn't do that in Autopilot. So.... It's more a gimmick (for me though)
Same goes (very important) for the camera settings
Im pretty sure the camera settings are accessed the same way in AutoPilot?

iPad mini 2 lacks the horsepower to run Autopilot. You are right that the ipad mini has too small of a screen. I use a 9.7" iPad Pro and find that preplanning on it is easy to do and their new beta has really improved the interface too.

A 9.7" pad kind of defeats the purpose of a compact, mission efficient drone, a concept I waited about 4 years for.

MK

A 9.7" pad kind of defeats the purpose of a compact, mission efficient drone, a concept I waited about 4 years for.

MK

I said the same at first. Now I've ended up using an iPad Mini 4. Whilst not quite a full size iPad it still barely fits in my SLR bag with the Mavic.

I don't regret it though, it's soooo much better than using your phone. A compromise of sorts :D

I said the same at first. Now I've ended up using an iPad Mini 4. Whilst not quite a full size iPad it still barely fits in my SLR bag with the Mavic.

I don't regret it though, it's soooo much better than using your phone. A compromise of sorts :D

I was talking, specifically about the 9.7 form factor.

I use a 2nd-hand Ipad Mini2 (I'm an Android user).

The size of the iPad Minis is perfect for the job.

A 9.7 kills the portability factor.

I was talking, specifically about the 9.7 form factor.

I use a 2nd-hand Ipad Mini2 (I'm an Android user).

The size of the iPad Minis is perfect for the job.

A 9.7 kills the portability factor.

I don't agree with that
I use an iPad Pro 9.7 ( basically for my Inspire 2) but that one fits perfectly in my small hardcase with the rest.
I have a foldable bracket and all works fine.
Only is that iPad mini's fit in the DJI RC, where the 9.7 doesn't. But easy (small) solutions there

This a late reply but I mainly use Autopilot “continue mission” on loss of radio signal with the rc. In this mode the mission is uploaded to the Mavic at the start and the mission is then executed by the Mavic. In this mode it does not matter how much processing power the host iPhone or ipad has. You can plan the mission to alter the gimbal pitch and it is executed by the Mavic when there is no radio link with the RC. I use this mode in preference to “return home on signal loss.” These Autopilot missions are executed by the host device iphone or iPad and require a lot of CPU power to run smoothly, and i have experience periodic app crashes (I use an iPhone 7 or iPad Air 2) if the host device does not have enough grunt. My experience with Litchi is that when RC is lost the mission continues on the planned flight path but the speed drops and the gimbal pitch remains unchanged, it looks like Litchi manages the flight path by uploading into the Mavic at the start of the flight and the speed and gimbal pitch from the host device during the mission. This is not case with Autopilot “continue mission” mode.

This a late reply but I mainly use Autopilot “continue mission” on loss of radio signal with the rc. In this mode the mission is uploaded to the Mavic at the start and the mission is then executed by the Mavic. In this mode it does not matter how much processing power the host iPhone or ipad has. You can plan the mission to alter the gimbal pitch and it is executed by the Mavic when there is no radio link with the RC. I use this mode in preference to “return home on signal loss.” These Autopilot missions are executed by the host device iphone or iPad and require a lot of CPU power to run smoothly, and i have experience periodic app crashes (I use an iPhone 7 or iPad Air 2) if the host device does not have enough grunt. My experience with Litchi is that when RC is lost the mission continues on the planned flight path but the speed drops and the gimbal pitch remains unchanged, it looks like Litchi manages the flight path by uploading into the Mavic at the start of the flight and the speed and gimbal pitch from the host device during the mission. This is not case with Autopilot “continue mission” mode.

Autopilot loses some abilities if we select "continue mission" (i.e. we can't plan a mission using Bézier curves).

Litchi's Mission Hub now allows you to fully plan a mission on Google Earth Pro with 3D view takes selectable by cameras POV, import that plan into Mission Hub via a KML file that treats said points of view as waypoints (with tilt and direction of camera as per the plan) and then import the same mission back into Google Earth Pro, via a 3D KML, allowing for obstacle clearance check.

If only these two developers teamed up for a single great product featuring the best features in each...

MK

Autopilot has a rounded corners or straight lines option for “continue mission” waypoint flights. I have extracted the flyxx.dat log from the Mavic produced a kml file from the data and found the path flown when there is no radio contact with the controller is exactly along the round corners path of the mission’s planned path. Also while no RC the gimbal pitch also changes in line with the Autopilot flight preview. The flight speed cannot be changed with the Autopilot “continue mission” option. I am aware of Litchi 3D, it looks interesting. I also like Litchi waypoint height can be set relative to ground.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
charliesunique