DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Avata 2 Maximum Pitch Angle

HopwoodBoy70

Reactions
Hi all.

I've been an FPV pilot for several years, flying acro on 3", 5", 7" 4S and 6S home built quads, often with a GoPro strapped on top! I recently bought an Avata 2 as I wanted some new HD goggles anyway (hoping for O4 Air Unit to arrive soon!) and thought the Avata 2 would be fun, give some nice cinematic footage, as well as being easy to travel with.

However, here's my question. Is it possible to adjust the maximum pitch angle on the Avata 2 when flying in either Normal, or Sport mode?

I have got the FPV Remote as well, and I have full Manual mode enabled, with rates set to my preference, which of course means full control over pitch and everything else. But... Normal/Sport mode are actually really good for filming with, especially the altitude hold control which is nice when flying over water. Problem is, at max throttle, even with max forward pitch, the Avata 2 will still climb rather than simply go faster at the same altitude.

I'm guessing the pitch is locked to limit the forward speed in these modes? But any way round it would be great. Thanks :)

Doubt that you will find any possibility to mod tilt angles through DJI's own apps, but you could try Drone Hacks app (the Avata 2 is supported) & there use the free parameter change function & search for a parameter that changes the max tilt angle in normal or sport.

But even if you find a way you will probably still be limited by the max ground speed that you can't change by a parameter change.

Reactions: HopwoodBoy70
When you fly a DJI Drone in a "MODE", You are not flying like you would be flying a freestyle in ACRO.
Your DJI Drone will act as if you put it in angle mode and the pitch will be limited.

Also keep in mind that in angle mode the "throttle" stick is not a throttle, but rather an altitude control, commanding "go up" or "go down", independent of the pitch control. So if you push the stick up past center the drone will climb, regardless of pitch position.

The combined pitch/throttle action you're used to in rate mode (a.k.a. Manual, or "acro") to control speed and altitude in an interlocking, dependent manner doesn't apply.

This is why it's best to re-spring the throttle stick for extensive N/S flying. Otherwise it's very easy to position the throttle stick a little off-center and find your drone slowly ascending/descending.

When you fly a DJI Drone in a "MODE", You are not flying like you would be flying a freestyle in ACRO.
Your DJI Drone will act as if you put it in angle mode and the pitch will be limited.
Yeah, appreciate it's limited, but was hoping there may be a bit of 'tweaking' possible like you can alter the max angle for Angle in Betaflight. No big deal as Manual is crazy easy on this after my other FPV quads. I was more interested to see if it would allow me to be lazy 🤣

Also keep in mind that in angle mode the "throttle" stick is not a throttle, but rather an altitude control, commanding "go up" or "go down", independent of the pitch control. So if you push the stick up past center the drone will climb, regardless of pitch position.

The combined pitch/throttle action you're used to in rate mode (a.k.a. Manual, or "acro") to control speed and altitude in an interlocking, dependent manner doesn't apply.

This is why it's best to re-spring the throttle stick for extensive N/S flying. Otherwise it's very easy to position the throttle stick a little off-center and find your drone slowly ascending/descending.
Ah yes, good point! It is odd flying the Avata 2 in Normal or Sport mode. Maybe not odd, just different, even to flying in Angle mode on my other quads. Will take a while for the muscle memory to change I guess 🙂

I've only had one DJI quad before - the original Mavic Air - and that was a totally different machine to this A2. Loving it so far though. Different to my racing / freestyle FPV quads, but different in a really good, enjoyable way.

Is it wrong to say I actually really love the Motion Controller 3? 😂 It is a genius control system - even my GF can fly with it. Problem is now she wants to have a go with my 6S Source One 7" 😫💥🔥

Yeah, appreciate it's limited, but was hoping there may be a bit of 'tweaking' possible like you can alter the max angle for Angle in Betaflight. No big deal as Manual is crazy easy on this after my other FPV quads. I was more interested to see if it would allow me to be lazy 🤣

Another thing that will throw you off is the "pitch" stick only indirectly controls pitch in N/S modes. It's really a ground speed control.

The Flight Controller will control attitude, in this case pitch, to maintain a GPS ground speed proportional to stick deflection. Full stick in Sport will get you ~35mph over the ground, whether flying upwind or down. Up to the limit of maximum tilt angle, which allows for around 8-10mph wind before being unable to maintain max specified ground speed.

In N/S modes, the FC does most of the flying 😁

Is it wrong to say I actually really love the Motion Controller 3? 😂 It is a genius control system - even my GF can fly with it. Problem is now she wants to have a go with my 6S Source One 7" 😫💥🔥

Yeah, some will slag on you for liking the MC.

Not me. I adore it, and it's probably 75% of my Avata flying. And I'm pretty good at manual these days, and love that too, but it's exhausting 😁

At 62, I really love zooming around like a jet fighter with MC, shooting gaps, doing lawnmower on open fields and whipping around bushes, etc., then just letting go of the throttle when I need a break and have it stop in place and hover.

Last edited:
Reactions: davery87
Another thing that will throw you off is the "pitch" stick only indirectly controls pitch in N/S modes. It's really a ground speed control.

The Flight Controller will control attitude, in this case pitch, to maintain a GPS ground speed proportional to stick deflection. Full stick in Sport will get you ~35mph over the ground, whether flying upwind or down. Up to the limit of maximum tilt angle, which allows for around 8-10mph wind before being unable to maintain max specified ground speed.

In N/S modes, the FC does most of the flying 😁
What Droning On and On said is spot on. I will say that I found the altitude control using normal mode with the Remote control 3 very useful. In full manual I would still have little altitude bobbles when flying slow. Using normal mode and being careful with the left stick, I did a bunch of slow cruising through tree branches With almost perfect altitude control. Combine that with the ability to change the gimbal angle on the fly, and I expect to get some nice slow cruise footage in the future. Seems it would be perfect for real estate fly-throughs and such.

Reactions: cneedelman
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Famousjonny