DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Average Altitude

Ken Bartley

Reactions
Hi all, I'm new to flying the Mavic 2, Had about 3 other drones, really just toys. But buying this Mavic 2 is the difference between day and night. Just one silly question for the forum, On an average to clear trees, What is the average altitude most people fly at? I'm in South Central Ky. about the only items I have to worry about is the trees and hills. My home, that I fly from is about 950 ft above SL thanks for your input. Ken

Typically all of the trees in my flight areas are by and large 100 feet or less. So I typically use a buffer of 20-30 feet and end up with 130 feet RTH over tree's.

If I spy some trees that I approximate to be taller than 130 feet I fly to the tree tops and observe my altitude and then set my RTH altitude accordingly. Thats the way it should really be done if you are willing to spare the battery percentage points.

Hi all, I'm new to flying the Mavic 2, Had about 3 other drones, really just toys. But buying this Mavic 2 is the difference between day and night. Just one silly question for the forum, On an average to clear trees, What is the average altitude most people fly at? I'm in South Central Ky. about the only items I have to worry about is the trees and hills. My home, that I fly from is about 950 ft above SL thanks for your input. Ken
Here's a shot where I flew this past week. The trees are 80 to 90' and you can see how relatively consistent the heights are. I feel comfortable at 130 to 150' to account for the stray tree, terrain variation and those pesky rocks. I'll always check an area with the camera looking forward to determine the altitude I need to be at before flying with the camera pointed down.

Reactions: Ken Bartley

235 feet is my go to altitude which is high enough that I feel comfortable there’s nothing I have to worry about. For me I know that’s much higher than it needs to be but I find it very valuable to have that peace of mind. To each their own on this one I just don’t find being at 100 feet looks that much different from 235 so I don’t feel I’m giving up much for that extra peace of mind.

I’d reccomend choosing an altitude and then flying around manually at that altitude to make yourself comfortable that you have plenty of clearance.

Typically all of the trees in my flight areas are by and large 100 feet or less. So I typically use a buffer of 20-30 feet and end up with 130 feet RTH over tree's.

If I spy some trees that I approximate to be taller than 130 feet I fly to the tree tops and observe my altitude and then set my RTH altitude accordingly. Thats the way it should really be done if you are willing to spare the battery percentage points.

Sounds like I wrote this. I do the exact same thing [emoji106]. Return home set at 55m

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potenthockey0