DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Bacalar - Cancún - Isla Mujeres! Mexico!

Nice video. I really wish you would have mentioned that the entire north end of Isla Mujeres is a NFZ. I just got back from there and stayed at the Mia Reef on Isla Mujeres. (The large private resort on it's own little reef at the northern end of the island). It was beautiful, but I was SOOOO disappointed that I couldn't fly my mavic anywhere at the resort because of the No Fly Zone. I did get some great footage of Point Sur, ( the cliffs on the other end of the island) - like you did.

I actually wasted 2 hours at an internet cafe on Isla Mujeres trying to downgrade my firmware to a lower version so I could fly at our resort - it didn't work, their internet speed was too slow or unreliable. The sad thing is that the reason it's a NFZ is because of 1 old runway that is still sometimes used by private aircraft. There is no airport - per se, just a single landing strip that was used exactly 1 time by a small private plane during the entire 8 days that we were staying there. What a beautiful place. I would probably go back in a heartbeat, but I think I'll need to find a different beautiful place where I can fly the mavic.

Nice video. I really wish you would have mentioned that the entire north end of Isla Mujeres is a NFZ. I just got back from there and stayed at the Mia Reef on Isla Mujeres. (The large private resort on it's own little reef at the northern end of the island). It was beautiful, but I was SOOOO disappointed that I couldn't fly my mavic anywhere at the resort because of the No Fly Zone. I did get some great footage of Point Sur, ( the cliffs on the other end of the island) - like you did.

I actually wasted 2 hours at an internet cafe on Isla Mujeres trying to downgrade my firmware to a lower version so I could fly at our resort - it didn't work, their internet speed was too slow or unreliable. The sad thing is that the reason it's a NFZ is because of 1 old runway that is still sometimes used by private aircraft. There is no airport - per se, just a single landing strip that was used exactly 1 time by a small private plane during the entire 8 days that we were staying there. What a beautiful place. I would probably go back in a heartbeat, but I think I'll need to find a different beautiful place where I can fly the mavic.

Hey!! I'm really sorry to head about that, I can't remember that NFZ since I didn't fly in those places because there was an heliport for the marine nearby so I didn't even think on flying near that also on that day the wind was awful.

Anyways I'll mention the NFZ for the next videos, thanks for your advice!

I hope you can share with us the footage off the cliffs!

Attachments

• IMG_4053.PNG
    IMG_4053.PNG
    368.5 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_4079.JPG
    IMG_4079.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 14
I feel your pain. I'm in Isla now and feel like I'm the only legal pilot here. Other mavics that haven't upgraded I guess, are flying North beach. Check out the airport tower mast. Punta Sur Is beautiful but too windy now.

Hi James - I hope you enjoy Isla as much as we did. Are you staying on the island? We stayed at the Mia Reef and it couldn't have been better. I was SO frustrated by that no fly zone and the latest firmware.

It was pretty windy out by Punta Sur when I was there, but I was still able to fly 4 batteries worth and get some great footage. The mavic handled the wind with ease. Just test first by flying up-wind before you fly down-wind to make sure the wind isn't so strong as to prevent your return now.

Have fun. You can always do what I did and get on a kayak, paddle out about 100 yards from shore and hand launch from there - outside of the NFZ. A little nerve-wracking but it worked.

I HIGHLY recommend you take one of the whale-shark tours - it was the best part of our entire vacation.

Hi James - I hope you enjoy Isla as much as we did. Are you staying on the island? We stayed at the Mia Reef and it couldn't have been better. I was SO frustrated by that no fly zone and the latest firmware.

It was pretty windy out by Punta Sur when I was there, but I was still able to fly 4 batteries worth and get some great footage. The mavic handled the wind with ease. Just test first by flying up-wind before you fly down-wind to make sure the wind isn't so strong as to prevent your return now.

Have fun. You can always do what I did and get on a kayak, paddle out about 100 yards from shore and hand launch from there - outside of the NFZ. A little nerve-wracking but it worked.

I HIGHLY recommend you take one of the whale-shark tours - it was the best part of our entire vacation.

Just saw your post. Here's what I ended up with

Just saw your post. Here's what I ended up with

-very cool video. I see you guys enjoyed the whale shark tour as well. Wasn't that the coolest thing ever?
Where did you stay? Were you in the house/resort shown in the opening scene of your video? We plan on going back again next year and will probably stay in the same place (Mia Reef Hotel) - everything about it was perfect, especially the food... most excellent for an all inclusive resort. The ONLY downside to the the whole island is the D*** No Fly Zone.

Did you guys have bad weather while you were there because of hurricane Franklin? We must have missed the Ice Bar - have to check that out next time.

Thanks for sharing! - Good choice of music too!

-very cool video. I see you guys enjoyed the whale shark tour as well. Wasn't that the coolest thing ever?
Where did you stay? Were you in the house/resort shown in the opening scene of your video? We plan on going back again next year and will probably stay in the same place (Mia Reef Hotel) - everything about it was perfect, especially the food... most excellent for an all inclusive resort. The ONLY downside to the the whole island is the D*** No Fly Zone.

Did you guys have bad weather while you were there because of hurricane Franklin? We must have missed the Ice Bar - have to check that out next time.

Thanks for sharing! - Good choice of music too!

Thanks. We have stayed at Mia Reef in one of the bungalows by the water before. Stayed at Media Luna just around the point last time. Have done the sharks 3 times now. Normally dive in Cozumel. Had a meal at the resort I flew from in the south end. Found the best restaurants away from the main parts of town. Taxis were cheap. $5.00 anywhere on the island. Yes got some Franklin.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest