DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Back leg hinge scraping

chhaiwalla

Reactions
Running into this issue where my back left leg hinge area sounds like its scraping something as I am folding/unfolding it. I inspected it noticed the scrape marks.

Curious to know if anyone else is having this problem and if its worth even worrying about.

I bought from Bestbuy so wondering if I should just take it back and get a replacement since I am still under 15 days.

Thoughts?

EDIT: I wanted to mention that this is NOT the same problem as the legs hitting the vents when folding.

Attachments

• MP2.jpg
    MP2.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 64
Last edited:
Reactions: Former Member
Just got mine today and and noticed the same thing. Seems it's no issue and seems I read something about it from @Thunderdrones .
Welcome to the forum .

Running into this issue where my back left leg sounds like its scraping something as I am folding/unfolding it. I inspected it noticed the scrape marks.

Curious to know if anyone else is having this problem and if its worth even worrying about.

I bought from Bestbuy so wondering if I should just take it back and get a replacement since I am still under 15 days.

Thoughts?
Howdy from Wyoming @chhaiwalla, welcome to the community, plenty of fine folk and excellent information here. I believe that is a common issue with the Mavic 2, there are a few other posts about it.

A couple of weeks ago a Mavic 2 owner Tweeted to DJI Support about this issue. I’ve copied their response below.

Personally I’m not entirely convinced by DJI’s reply – all the YouTube reviews I’ve ever seen on DJI products comment very favourably on their build quality, so a back leg scraping on the bodywork as it folds in would seem to be at odds with that. Is there any excessive play in the hinge?

My Mavic 2 Zoom should be arriving in a few days so I’ll check out what mine is like and let you know.

@DJISupport: @heoiga @Aki123 @OsitaLV @DJIGlobal @BillDroneReview @Chromonian @victor_abarca Hi there, due to the compact structure of the Mavic 2, the gap between the aircraft's rear arms and aircraft's body is designed to be relatively narrow, but it's within the tolerance range and meets the quality requirements. Please feel free to use.

OK I just looked at your picture and thats not where mine is touching but at where the motors are .

Thanks for all the replies!

I understand that the legs will touch the vents when folded in but that isn't the issue I wanted to bring to light. It's the actual hinge part where it rotates.

Uploaded another pic!

Attachments

• MP2.jpg
    MP2.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 70
That seems like a different problem so I would exchange it , do they have any in stock at your local store?
Yup! Wondering if Bestbuy will allow me to return for a replacement without dealing with the restocking fee as this could be consider a "hardware" issue..?

Yup! Wondering if Bestbuy will allow me to return for a replacement without dealing with the restocking fee as this could be consider a "hardware" issue..?
I would try to return it, it looks like another issue entirely. Good Luck!

Best Buy’s drone restocking fee does not apply to returns or exchanges on damaged or defective items. I took back 3 Typhoon H+ before getting the M2P.

A couple of weeks ago a Mavic 2 owner Tweeted to DJI Support about this issue. I’ve copied their response below.

Personally I’m not entirely convinced by DJI’s reply – all the YouTube reviews I’ve ever seen on DJI products comment very favourably on their build quality, so a back leg scraping on the bodywork as it folds in would seem to be at odds with that. Is there any excessive play in the hinge?

My Mavic 2 Zoom should be arriving in a few days so I’ll check out what mine is like and let you know.

@DJISupport: @heoiga @Aki123 @OsitaLV @DJIGlobal @BillDroneReview @Chromonian @victor_abarca Hi there, due to the compact structure of the Mavic 2, the gap between the aircraft's rear arms and aircraft's body is designed to be relatively narrow, but it's within the tolerance range and meets the quality requirements. Please feel free to use.
so dji says their low tolerance will allow scraping and to be acceptable?
that poor excuse could be used in most any area.
i have to tug and tug for nearly 10 minutes in order to remove my battery
dji; we design it this way to better avoid the battery dislodging during flight.

Thanks for all the replies!

I understand that the legs will touch the vents when folded in but that isn't the issue I wanted to bring to light. It's the actual hinge part where it rotates.

Uploaded another pic!

I have now opened and closed the arms on my M2's a few dozen times. Yes the arms DO scratch on all the M2's I have seen so far. However, this is a cosmetic issue only, and in no way does it sacrifice the structure of the chassis.

In other words, dont worry about it causing any type of flight problems, now or ever.

This is DJI's way of telling you, "Dont worry about it!" For once, I agree with them.

My advice to those who think this is a big deal, or a deal breaker, go out and fly and enjoy while the weather is still fine. Then put your M2 on a shelf and shine it all winter.

I decided to reach out to DJI to see what they would say and they flat out told me to swap it for a new unit as its a 'defect'.

I'll make a decision later but I think i'll just keep it since everything is working fine.

Been lurking here for a while and glad I made an account - awesome community.

I decided to reach out to DJI to see what they would say and they flat out told me to swap it for a new unit as its a 'defect'.

I'll make a decision later but I think i'll just keep it since everything is working fine.

Been lurking here for a while and glad I made an account - awesome community.

just be aware that DJI routinely will swap you into a refurb which may not be what you want. most of these drones have slight rub when closing

Reactions: chhaiwalla
just be aware that DJI routinely will swap you into a refurb which may not be what you want. most of these drones have slight rub when closing
Yeah so they actually told me to go back to Bestbuy and get a swap for a brand new one so it won't be refurbished.

DJI acknowledges that the legs will rub the vents. In this case, its actually a grinding/rubbing sound of the actual hinge that rotates when you are closing or opening. For that issue - they said was a defect and a replacement is recommended.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada