DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Backwards use of photos

Bikerbill

Reactions
If one gets their approved 107 license they then can charge a fee for their photos. But what about charging a fee for their photos taken prior to when they received their 107?

If one gets their approved 107 license they then can charge a fee for their photos. But what about charging a fee for their photos taken prior to when they received their 107?

It depends on what the intent of the flight was at the time the flight was undertaken. If those flights were done with the intent of selling photos, simply getting a 107 at a later date doesn't make those earlier flights "legal".

Boy, are we going to beat this one again ? For the sake of starting another arguement , which I really enjoy, nobody cares. Just another un inforcable regulation.Worst case senario, if you happen to sell a picture to an FAA employee , he would tell you, probably with a letter, not to get caught again. Nobody has been fined , arrested, beaten or shot for selling a picture since the sUAS regs were written. I spent a bit of time last week reading the FAA suggestions to law enforcement and the investigative effort that the FAA sugests is more complicated that a couple fatal auto accidents that I had the ocasion to investigate. When you get all the information, witness statments, gps coordanences for the suspected violatioation , you, the Law Enforcement agency or person whos mandate is to respond to and investigate criminal law, should ship all your information to the FAA whos mandate is cival law ie. regulations or cival law as compared to criminal law, and at this point they do nothing. maybee a letter if for some remarkable cooicidence they can identify the culpret, will send him a letter and tell him/ her not to get caught again o0r you May be in trouble. The primary concern of the FAA is safty. I do actually have some expertiece in this area and to Qualify, over the last 50 or so years I have had ocasion to review accidents (cold case of a sort) involving the CAA , the predisessors of The FAA , FBI, CIA, DEA and most of the other initial groups belonging to our government and I can guarantee that none of them care if you sell a picture.
Go forth and Prosper, but in so doing, Fly Safe
PoonDog

Last edited:
Didn't mean to stir up a hornets nest. Merely now that I'm considering getting a 107 license, "technically" would I be allowed to sell photos pre-107? I'm not contemplating getting a 107 merely to be able to sell photos in the future but as I began to plan about it my mind wondered about the "legality" of pre-107 photos. Sure POON-DOG, who is going to take the time to persecute and prosecute someone for a couple of bucks earned pre-107. I was "just asking for a friend." Case closed.

In most basic of terms....

• A) if the photos were taken legitimately for your own personal recreation then you are perfectly legal to do with them "later" as you please. The INTENT at the time of the flight is what matters to the FAA. You did not INTEND to take the pics for profit so it was recreational. Later you (or someone else) sees a value in your pictures and you are legally able to sell them.
  • B) If there is/was a question about you "being legal now" ..... once you have your Part 107 you have demonstrated you now know/understand that law and that you intend (From a piece of paper point of view) you are following the law going forward
  • C) The odds of it ever coming into question are minimal at best

Go get your Part 107 and enjoy selling your work and making some $$ while having fun.

Allen

Didn't mean to stir up a hornets nest. Merely now that I'm considering getting a 107 license, "technically" would I be allowed to sell photos pre-107? I'm not contemplating getting a 107 merely to be able to sell photos in the future but as I began to plan about it my mind wondered about the "legality" of pre-107 photos. Sure POON-DOG, who is going to take the time to persecute and prosecute someone for a couple of bucks earned pre-107. I was "just asking for a friend." Case closed.
It was not my intent to belabor or confuse the issue. I also plan to get my 107 solely so I can say i
I have one , but dont tell Big Al.

• Haha
Reactions: BigAl07
In most basic or terms....

• A) if the photos were taken legitimately for your own personal recreation then you are perfectly legal to do with them "later" as you please. The INTENT at the time of the flight is what matters to the FAA. You did not INTEND to take the pics for profit so it was recreational. Later you (or someone else) sees a value in your pictures and you are legally able to sell them.
  • B) If there is/was a question about you "being legal now" ..... once you have your Part 107 you have demonstrated you now know/understand that law and that you intend (From a piece of paper point of view) you are following the law going forward
  • C) The odds of it ever coming into question are minimal at best

Go get your Part 107 and enjoy selling your work and making some $$ while having fun.

Allen
Well Said sir Al.;)

Reactions: BigAl07
The only place that you’ll be “prosecuted“ for this or any other perceived infraction is on the pilots forums. The FAA doesn’t give a rip about any of this and even if they did, what are they going to do?
Before all of the chest thumping owners of these plastic toys chime in extolling their status as “pilots“, think about it people. We are 5+ years into the explosion of consumer quad copters. They number now in the hundreds of thousands if not well over 1 million. Only a small fraction of owners have ever laid eyes on a forum such as this one and are completely oblivious to the absurd rules and regulations constantly discussed here. FAA enforcement has been nil just like the occurrences of any dire consequences of widespread quadcopter usage. Fly safe, don’t hurt anyone, be an advocate for our hobby and business and above all have fun people.

I suppose the reasoning behind the commercial use of photography requiring 107 is so that a whole lot of people don't make a habit of it and fly in areas/ways that should be performed by a 107 pilot.
I know I'm not explaining myself well, but hopefully most get the idea.

I suppose the reasoning behind the commercial use of photography requiring 107 is so that a whole lot of people don't make a habit of it and fly in areas/ways that should be performed by a 107 pilot.
I know I'm not explaining myself well, but hopefully most get the idea.
There are no areas that should only be flown by 107 holders (without getting inti flight requiring waivers of the standard conditions).
107/non-107 flyers can fly in the same areas
And there are no particular areas that commercial photography is done in anyway.

The reasoning has nothing to do with photography.
It's just that the FAA can only see drone flying through their real plane flying glasses.
To fly a real plane commercially requires a higher qualification than flying privately.
So the FAA feel that you need a higher qualification to fly your drone commercially.
Prior to Part 107, they wanted a real plane licence to fly 20 feet high and take some real estate drone pix of a house.

Reactions: PoonDog
That's a hypothetical question guaranteed to get you some extreme answers and strong opinions from a few hardline posters.
You may as well ask how many angels can dance on the head of a pin?:

Or .. As Bart Simpson asked, can a robot with a human brain go to heaven?

The point is that the debate is a pointless one.
Get your 107, sell whatever images you can find buyers for and don't worry about it.
Not selling past images won't do anything at all toward aviation safety.

Last edited:
You didn't and don't need your 107 to sell photos taken recreationally before you got your 107. You were already able to do so.

There are no areas that should only be flown by 107 holders (without getting inti flight requiring waivers of the standard conditions).
107/non-107 flyers can fly in the same areas
And there are no particular areas that commercial photography is done in anyway.

The reasoning has nothing to do with photography.
It's just that the FAA can only see drone flying through their real plane flying glasses.
To fly a real plane commercially requires a higher qualification than flying privately.
So the FAA feel that you need a higher qualification to fly your drone commercially.
Prior to Part 107, they wanted a real plane licence to fly 20 feet high and take some real estate drone pix of a house.
Well said.

That's a hypothetical question guaranteed to get you some extreme answers and strong opinions from a few hardline posters.
You may as well ask how many angels can dance on the head of a pin?:

Or .. As Bart Simpson asked, can a robot with a human brain go to heaven?

The point is that the debate is a pointless one.
Get your 107, sell whatever images you can find buyers for and don't worry about it.
Not selling past images won't do anything at all toward aviation safety.
Actually, the ansewer to the age old question " how many angles can dance on the head of a pin" is obvious. The ansewer is "All of them". The question that alwayses causes me to ponder is, If after you die are you going to hevan and is that the same place you were before you were born??

Actually, the ansewer to the age old question " how many angles can dance on the head of a pin" is obvious. The ansewer is "All of them". The question that alwayses causes me to ponder is, If after you die are you going to hevan and is that the same place you were before you were born??
And if so, will we dance on the head of a pin?[emoji16]

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98