DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Bad news to everyone, RID was already active in 01.00.0800 firmware and the drone appears in OpenDroneID app.

I just used OpenDroneID when flying my Mav3 in the USA. No drones were identified during the flight. I guess the Mav3 currently is not transmitting RID in the USA at this time.

Reactions: kodiak
Explain about the GPS on your phone and sharing our actual location?
Are you saying if we Pre/ load the map where we are flying and leave our Hotspot off on the phone we at least keep our actual location hidden?
But if our launch /Homepoint location is broadcast, doesn’t that pretty much tell people where to look?
I guess we will all start having to practice the " LAUNCH and LEAVE " technique. (LOL I just coined a new drone term). May I suggest launch in a place you don't want to be, then walk or ride to the location where you want to be.

When your drone gets there, you can change the HomePoint to that location. I don't believe RID transmits changes in HomePoint. Or does it?

Last edited:
Are you saying if we Pre/ load the map where we are flying and leave our Hotspot off on the phone we at least keep our actual location hidden?
But if our launch /Homepoint location is broadcast, doesn’t that pretty much tell people where to look?
Nevermind. Just read above post and my RCPro has built in GPS

Worth noting for Android users here there's a setting to change to make it far more rapid for detection.
By default the latest Android versions throttle the wifi and RF scan speed to preserve battery life. If you go into developer options and disable that all the apps will scan much faster and pick up more of the weaker signals.

Worth noting for Android users here there's a setting to change to make it far more rapid for detection.
By default the latest Android versions throttle the wifi and RF scan speed to preserve battery life. If you go into developer options and disable that all the apps will scan much faster and pick up more of the weaker signals.
Developer options? where is that?

AFAIK, in order to conform to Standard Remote ID (i.e. built-in, not an add-on module) the drone is required to broadcast the dynamic location of the operator at 1Hz as part of the Remote ID information. This presumably means that if DJI has passed Remote ID certification for a particular drone then it will use the GPS location of the phone (or the GPS in the DJI RC or RC Pro) as the location of the operator. I don't think GPS functionality in a typical phone is dependent on whether the hotspot is enabled or not.

GPS is nothing to do with internet or data. Its literally a passive satellite receiver.

So it works perfectly well with no SIM card, signal or wifi.

It can however be spoofed with fakeGPS apps which both sides are using in Ukraine a lot. The operator location that is not the drone.

Yep, you don't need 01.00.0900 in order for it to emit RID, 01.00.0800 (and probably much earlier firmwares) appear in OpenDroneID app, I've just tested it with my tablet while flying the M3, at first nothing appeared so didn't payed attention to the tablet, but when I was going to land I realized the app had picked up the drone.

Takeoff location was shared and also real time tracking of the drone, although package reception wasn't fast enough for it to be actually in real time. I always fly with GPS on the phone turned off, so it wasn't able to share my real location.

So there isn't any point in holding back the update I suppose, we are already screwed.
Interesting that you seem to be saying the DJI Fly app will allow the drone to take off even if the app is denied location information on the phone. I wonder if that's something that will change once Remote ID is required next year? At the moment the app checks for this at install time, but not at each launch time.

Reactions: kodiak
This all confirmed all that I'd heard and said in other threads...
Someone thought I was being ridiculous about confrontations while someone else said not to worry until Sept 2023.
My crystal ball says "nothing occurs in a vacuum". and "It's not if, but when, how much and how bad". And while I don't think the frequency or severity will parallel a Zombie Apocalypse, we will soon be hearing about RID provoked incidents. Trust me.

Here we go... Watch this video...

Last edited:
I just used OpenDroneID when flying my Mav3 in the USA. No drones were identified during the flight. I guess the Mav3 currently is not transmitting RID in the USA at this time.

Interesting. And you're currently on .0800?

Interesting that you seem to be saying the DJI Fly app will allow the drone to take off even if the app is denied location information on the phone. I wonder if that's something that will change once Remote ID is required next year? At the moment the app checks for this at install time, but not at each launch time.

I have a feeling this will change in the future, i.e. location data will be required at each launch. Spent a little time looking at the RC Pro Android settings and it is currently possible to switch off location information. Once I have a RID receiver I will test this with the .0800 firmware and v1.7.5 fly app.

I think it would be naive for us not to believe that once anyone can get a lock on where our location is when flying that there won’t be incidents - either hostile or criminal.
Hopefully it won’t be often, but you can bet there will be.
not trying to sound paranoid, just clear-eyed about it.

While some pilots have had some incidents with the public, long before RID, I will try and be a touch more optimistic.

I don't think the average person on the street would have the wherewithal to download an app just to see where pilots are flying their drones..

Perhaps drone flight is more prevalent elsewhere than it is where I live, but in the past couple years since I started flying, I can count on one hand where I've ran into other drone pilots. And my experience has been that most people are curious, but don't care, even when traveling, I've yet to encounter anyone that is concerned, and generally there is curiosity not animosity.

I think exaggerated news reports of pilots doing stupid things causes more harm. Granted, it would be nice if pilots that do flights that they more than likely know they shouldn't, would think first and fly later...somewhere else. But....... what can you do?

While it's possible that issues will increase, I have no desire to run out and see if I can track other pilots flights, and for most people, its probably the same... doesn't accomplish anything, though it will probably find more pilots perhaps doing things they should not...

Perhaps drone flight is more prevalent elsewhere than it is where I live, but in the past couple years since I started flying, I can count on one hand where I've ran into other drone pilots. And my experience has been that most people are curious, but don't care, even when traveling, I've yet to encounter anyone that is concerned, and generally there is curiosity not animosity.

---
I think this is a valid observation. I live in Seattle. I typically spend at least an hour every day walking in the neighborhoods and parks. In the past ten years I've seen exactly three drones. Two of them where being tested close in with the operator next to them. Only one (an Inspire) was flying overhead without an obvious operator. I know there is some business use for roof/gutter inspections, real estate photography, etc., but presumably in those cases the operator is standing close to the property and a RID app isn't going to add much value. Overall at the current level of activity it seems unlikely random people are going to be motivated to install an app and go drone hunting.

Mainly the issue over here is going to be the places that (falsely) claim "you cant fly over us" who at the moment send security around to look for an operator to threaten them but usually cant find the operator who now *will* have the ability.
National Trust and so on.

And the local idiot who doesnt want drones "over his property" who is google for ways to find or stop them.
I cant see any way RID for all won't increase confrontation. I dont see any reason why a non law enforcement entity should have access to that information.

The correct authorities having access is fine. But they already do via Aeroscope.

Given any random member of the public who might hate drones the ability to detect there's one in the area and exactly where its being operated from causes public order and safety issues for drone operators, even those operating totally legally.

A few other scenarios - someone does a test flight or two from the garden. Now anyone within a few miles knows where that person lives to harass, burgle or anything else.
Or know the house is empty if that same drone is detected being operated from elsewhere in the area.
Or if you want to steal the drone.

All the "YOU CANT FLY OVER MY GARDEN" people who previously couldn't act can now find the operator to confront.

From a public safety point of view its a terrible idea.

I see no conceivable reason for all third parties to get access to all the data. They really have no reason or need to know. Law enforcement yes, any random person, no.
Totally agree and very well said !

I admit I’ve rarely had a negative encounter. Most people are curious and I try to share what I’m doing & show them if interested.

I fly in and around the Chicago area a lot and though I’ve not had much problems to date, my concern is not so much for people who are antagonistic, but rather would be interested in stealing my equipment.

I guess I just don’t like the idea that any Yahoo with a scanner could pinpoint my position and target me if they want.
I don’t have a problem with law-enforcement as I don’t do anything illegal. If it’ll keep the idiots from doing stupid things, I’m all for it.
But beyond that I don’t think the general public has a right to know where I am when I’m flying.

GPS is nothing to do with internet or data. Its literally a passive satellite receiver.

So it works perfectly well with no SIM card, signal or wifi.

It can however be spoofed with fakeGPS apps which both sides are using in Ukraine a lot. The operator location that is not the drone.
I wonder if they will make it illegal to use a fakeGPS app. I mean it isn't transmitting the pilot location, and would then actually transmit an invalid location. Like you could set your location to be in another state. Or, set it to the opposite side of a park still in VLOS, so to send any would be confronters the wrong way. Not sending a new location is one thing, you could say you mistakenly hit airplane mode and then the GPS didn't restart when exiting. But sending a wrong location on purpose is a different story.

I like the idea, was actually thinking it myself. I wouldn't use one for 107 flights, but for Rec... Maybe. For 107, I am doing professional flights with a specific target, and well, haven't been harassed yet.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
michalis