DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Bad news to everyone, RID was already active in 01.00.0800 firmware and the drone appears in OpenDroneID app.

I may have missed it here, but I went to the Opendroneid website. Am I correct that it is not yet available for ios?
Not showing in the iOS app store, so presumably not. There's an iOS app called RID Receiver in development that's available from iOS TestFlight.

I may have missed it here, but I went to the Opendroneid website. Am I correct that it is not yet available for ios?

It's in the Google Play Store for Android, but I'm sure there'll be something similar for IOS available in the future.

It's in the Google Play Store for Android, but I'm sure there'll be something similar for IOS available in the future.
Has anyone tried the IOS DroneScanner app on the App Store by DroneTag yet?

I’ve installed it but nothing showing up anywhere near me in Queensland, Australia.

Yes, I have DroneScanner installed on several different iOS devices and they do not detect my M3Cine or any other DJI machine I currently own. The M3C is running .0800

Yes, I had throttling disabled and one of the times I took off with the tablet at just 5 meters, I could climb to 120m and send the drone to 300m without OpenDroneID detecting it; I had to come back closer and wait for the beacon.

A fast flying by drone will be hard to detect, but a drone doing photos or videos in a more static way can be picked up easily.

Responsiveness of RID and devices able to track the drone will improve over time, we could already see that device tha pick up beacons quite fast and can listen up to the M3 to more than 1Km.

The RC-N1 controller takes the GPS data from the mobile phone you use to fly, if you disable it on your phone it won't be shown, just the takeoff location will be.

The smart controllers have inbuilt GPS, but I don't know if in those can be deactivated or not.
The smart controller GPS can be toggled off.

Reactions: DARKSeifer
Explain about the GPS on your phone and sharing our actual location?
Are you saying if we Pre/ load the map where we are flying and leave our Hotspot off on the phone we at least keep our actual location hidden?
But if our launch /Homepoint location is broadcast, doesn’t that pretty much tell people where to look?
Yes.

RID is a requirement by the FAA for locating your drone and controller that will be in effect by 9/2023. The latest update for the Mavic 3 enables this feature which we will all be required to support next September. Once this firmware is installed it cannot be rolled back.

There are those who are resisting the inevitable for this in the US. Outside the US where there is no RID requirement drone owners are also resisting this as an invasion of privacy. Some worry that this information will available to anyone for free, such as with this Android app, enabling not only the FAA to detect illegal flight beyond VLOS, but also those with nefarious intent to steal their expensive drones. Many feel that this information should have been restricted to LEOs only.

I see this law a consequence of people flying in dangerous locations. The FAA has enough to do without chasing down every BVLOS violator. I am glad that that I don’t have to strap on some sort of kluge electronics to be compliant.
"I see this law a consequence of people flying in dangerous locations. The FAA has enough to do without chasing down every BVLOS violator."

This is the whole issue right here. Every time I saw a video of some jackass recording a jet on final - from above - I knew this was inevitable. Or those idiots flying around the Superbowl - because they could. I honestly don't think this will be the disaster many believe it will be. Every day I watch ADS-B aircraft flying around the world, and there are tens of thousands of them. There will be that many drones and more reporting, and unless you're flying around the Superbowl or on final at some airport, no-one is going to give a hoot who you are or where you are. We should thank our lucky stars an aircraft hasn't been brought down by a drone - yet - and there have been strikes already - because the almighty wrath of the powers will impose restrictions we haven't even thought of yet. Just be safe, be cool, and follow the rules. How difficult is that?

Has anyone tried the IOS DroneScanner app on the App Store by DroneTag yet?

I’ve installed it but nothing showing up anywhere near me in Queensland, Australia.

At least for the moment and as far as I know, Drone Scanner app only detects drones that are using their own DroneTag devices.

"I see this law a consequence of people flying in dangerous locations. The FAA has enough to do without chasing down every BVLOS violator."

This is the whole issue right here. Every time I saw a video of some jackass recording a jet on final - from above - I knew this was inevitable. Or those idiots flying around the Superbowl - because they could. I honestly don't think this will be the disaster many believe it will be. Every day I watch ADS-B aircraft flying around the world, and there are tens of thousands of them. There will be that many drones and more reporting, and unless you're flying around the Superbowl or on final at some airport, no-one is going to give a hoot who you are or where you are. We should thank our lucky stars an aircraft hasn't been brought down by a drone - yet - and there have been strikes already - because the almighty wrath of the powers will impose restrictions we haven't even thought of yet. Just be safe, be cool, and follow the rules. How difficult is that?

Drone confrontations have allways been a normal everyday issue when flying drones, it's a worldwide phenomenon and will just skyrocket as soon as this kind of apps get promotion on TV (presumably past Sept 2023).

Law enforcement already had access to Aeroscope, so pinning a 1Km target on every drone hobbyist/photographer/videographer has nothing to do with security, but for destroying the hobby to keep the <120m airspace clear to sell it to the big BVLOS companies.

Expensive flying cameras screaming around "come and rob me", what could happen?

Reactions: rgarjr
At least for the moment and as far as I know, Drone Scanner app only detects drones that are using their own DroneTag devices.
Hi, the app detects all drones capable of Remote ID. The application can receive data transmitted over Bluetooth and Wi-Fi. iOS devices have system limitations for the Wi-Fi, so if you are using iOS, you won't be able to receive data transmitted by Wi-Fi.

Please note that the functionality of this application is entirely dependent on the operation system of your mobile device, its version, and also the hardware components and features of the drone you want to observe. At the same time, please be aware that this mobile application is only able to receive Remote ID via Bluetooth and Wi-Fi from drones that are equipped with this Remote ID function.

Yes, I have DroneScanner installed on several different iOS devices and they do not detect my M3Cine or any other DJI machine I currently own. The M3C is running .0800
Hi, the application can receive data transmitted over Bluetooth and Wi-Fi. iOS devices have system limitations for the Wi-Fi, so if you are using iOS, you won't be able to receive data transmitted by Wi-Fi.

Please note that the functionality of this application is entirely dependent on the operation system of your mobile device, its version, and also the hardware components and features of the drone you want to observe. At the same time, please be aware that this mobile application is only able to receive Remote ID via Bluetooth and Wi-Fi from drones that are equipped with this Remote ID function.

Reactions: kodiak
Hi, the app detects all drones capable of Remote ID. The application can receive data transmitted over Bluetooth and Wi-Fi. iOS devices have system limitations for the Wi-Fi, so if you are using iOS, you won't be able to receive data transmitted by Wi-Fi.

I'll check it again the next time I fly.

Hi, the application can receive data transmitted over Bluetooth and Wi-Fi. iOS devices have system limitations for the Wi-Fi, so if you are using iOS, you won't be able to receive data transmitted by Wi-Fi.

Interesting. Will this WiFi limitation for iOS change in the future?

Interesting. Will this WiFi limitation for iOS change in the future?
Not unless Apple opens its SDKs to allow 3rd party access to the WiFi drivers. I ran into this issue when I was looking for network management software apps that would let me use an iPhone to monitor the wireless networks I was building before I retired. Lots of useful tools for monitoring RF traffic within the public RF range for android phones but Apple blocked all access to the WiFi stacks for similar tools. I don't think Apple has changed this base level SDK policy and that would kill this type of software.

Reactions: kodiak and SkyeHigh
Not unless Apple opens its SDKs to allow 3rd party access to the WiFi drivers. I ran into this issue when I was looking for network management software apps that would let me use an iPhone to monitor the wireless networks I was building before I retired. Lots of useful tools for monitoring RF traffic within the public RF range for android phones but Apple blocked all access to the WiFi stacks for similar tools. I don't think Apple has changed this base level SDK policy and that would kill this type of software.
Agreed. Absolutely no use trying to monitor drones over Bluetooth due to limited range. And of course assuming they’re transmitting Bluetooth protocols in the first place.

Agreed. Absolutely no use trying to monitor drones over Bluetooth due to limited range. And of course assuming they’re transmitting Bluetooth protocols in the first place.
Phones are probably not going to be great Remote ID receivers for the general public. They have limited range and are slow to pick up the signal. IMO the more likely long term primary use of Remote ID is in systems like the recently awarded ANRA contract to develop networked monitoring stations that automatically collect and store flight information for law enforcement and government use. Dedicated, stationary hardware with larger antennas will work much better.

Reactions: kodiak
Phones are probably not going to be great Remote ID receivers for the general public. They have limited range and are slow to pick up the signal. IMO the more likely long term primary use of Remote ID is in systems like the recently awarded ANRA contract to develop networked monitoring stations that automatically collect and store flight information for law enforcement and government use. Dedicated, stationary hardware with larger antennas will work much better.

OpenDroneID works slow at the moment, but on Ken Heron's video about RID you can see the phones are picking the drone ID almost in real time with DroneScanner, so I presume that will be the performance of this kind of apps in the future. Just give developers some more time.

Hmmm… Very interesting. Makes sense and good to know.

Hi, please check out this post Dronetag on LinkedIn: #IoT #startup #drone

The range over Bluetooth can be a few kilometers at just a few mW of transmission power. It just depends on the conditions and the smartphone receiving the data. If you are in urban environment, range is usually below 1 km

Hi, please check out this post Dronetag on LinkedIn: #IoT #startup #drone

The range over Bluetooth can be a few kilometers at just a few mW of transmission power. It just depends on the conditions and the smartphone receiving the data. If you are in urban environment, range is usually below 1 km
Bluetooth in smart devices is usually configured for audio devices within a specific range (about 32') and therefore will not have anywhere near the range that some other unique bluetooth device might have and thats under optimal conditions..

So chances are if you're running an app on a smart device and expecting drones to pop up, I think the results are going to be limited at best. Perhaps with a device where Bluetooth was optimized for receiver sensitivity and had an optimal Bluetooth antenna, sure, perhaps you might see something occasionally.

If someone designs such a receiver, if not already perhaps, and then sell its it for this specific application for Remote ID, it probably would not be cheap, nor worth the investment for the average person. Perhaps for security for specific venues, where seeing if drones were in the area, it might be useful, but the average person should have no need.. Sure there is always some exception, but that I think would be far and few between...

Reactions: SkyeHigh
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure