DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Bad news to everyone, RID was already active in 01.00.0800 firmware and the drone appears in OpenDroneID app.

I hope someone creates an app that could transmit a bunch of SPOOF DRONES AND LAUNCH LOCATIONS around or in the area your own drone is flying. That would be a fun app to make.

Maybe it could transmit spoof data from the RC transmitter itself.

If you can't get rid of RID, Just make a bunch of spoofs or ghosts. Nobody will know which is the real drone.

Spoofing or creating ghost drones that appear to be flying illegally, would potentially cause RID to be useless. Law enforcement or people who report these spoofed drones would inundate the FAA's complaint lines.

Imagine a bunch of spoofed drones (non-existent) appearing on an app that shows hundreds of drones flying over an airport tarmac. RID would have to be gotten rid of.

FYI there is an Android developer option to push the output from a GPS App such as Trimble to all other apps as if the GNSS came from Android. If one were to make or find an Android app that sends simulated GNSS data and flick the eevkooed option check box to use that simulated Sat to all other apps, then the DJI app would likely assume the phone GNSS is valid and would send the fake GNSS continually instead of the real take-off point.

Anybody want to test this out?
On Android (and Apple as well), apps request location data from the OS. You can spoof the location on Android, it's fairly easy.

Install a third-party app. like Fake GPS Location, from the Google Play Store to spoof your location. To be able to use the app, your phone has to have developer options enabled. Go to Settings, About Phone, and tap Build Number until "You are Now a Developer" appears. Open Developer Options, pick "Select Mock Location App," and select "Fake GPS" from the list to fake your phone's location.

On Android (and Apple as well), apps request location data from the OS. You can spoof the location on Android, it's fairly easy.

Install a third-party app. like Fake GPS Location, from the Google Play Store to spoof your location. To be able to use the app, your phone has to have developer options enabled. Go to Settings, About Phone, and tap Build Number until "You are Now a Developer" appears. Open Developer Options, pick "Select Mock Location App," and select "Fake GPS" from the list to fake your phone's location.
There is a thread that we allready talked about what you propose. After a lot of investigation, we all found out that idea doesn't work.

The drone itself, transmits GPS coordinates it receives from the satellites independent of the android's location data. This is also true for the take off point.

All data for RID comes from the GPS satellite connection (not the app). This data is then directly transmitted from the RID module out from the drone. There is no connection or info exchanged between the android app and the RID module.

So, I propose someone create an app that can emulate a rid module, take the data from a spoof app on the android, then transmit that data in RID format out through the RC antennas.

RID would or may not function if one was to block the drone from receiving any GPS input. I've done this before, but you have to fly in ATTI mode. I blocked the drones receipt of satellite data by using a thick tinfoil layer to cover the GPS reciever. Then I had to fly in ATTI mode. I had no map readout or geofencing data available because of the blocked GPS.

ATTI mode is not fun to fly with. The drone can drift and it doesn't know where it is. If you lose site of your drone, RTH will not work. I don't think i'll be doing that, unless I fly at night and use those 3 mile FAA strobes with a color for each side of the drone, so I stay oriented.

During the day a pilot/operator/picc would need to be very familiar with the ground terrain. The only way you will get home, if you end up BVLOS, is by flying by camera alone.

There is a thread that we allready talked about what you propose. After a lot of investigation, we all found out that idea doesn't work.

The drone itself, transmits GPS coordinates it receives from the satellites independent of the android's location data. This is also true for the take off point.

All data for RID comes from the GPS satellite connection (not the app). This data is then directly transmitted from the RID module out from the drone. There is no connection or info exchanged between the android app and the RID module.

So, I propose someone create an app that can emulate a rid module, take the data from a spoof app on the android, then transmit that data in RID format out through the RC antennas.
I misread the post, I thought you were trying to spoof the GPS location on Android, You can't spoof the GPS that the drone is picking up unless you spoof the satellite signals. Which would spoof everyone in the immediate area and is something you want to avoid.

So i noticed something interesting today my mavic 3 has the 01.00.0800 firmware and if i use the rc-n1 controller its picked up immediately but if i use my rc pro its not detected at all. My rc pro is running a pretty old firmware with dji fly 1.7.8 but i also tried that version with the rc-n1 and that one still gets picked up, also worth pointing out is that i have the fcc hack from drone hacks installed on the rc pro.

Darn, Now I have to stay under 400ft as much as humanly or dronely possible. Why fly over 400ft. TREES !,It's the trees. To maintain VLOS and RC connection the angle sometimes required to maintain both needs a drone height greater than 400ft. Oh well, just can't fly as far away.
... You flying around the redwood mountain grove? Because other than those, I don't know of any area where trees grow more than 200~300ft above ground level (and the redwoods being the tallest bunch of trees is just at 316ft) average height of trees is under 50ft.

So yea... you can avoid trees 99% of the time and stay under 400 ft AGL.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xa_