DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Bad props.

grgguy

Reactions
Back around Christmas I posted up a thread where I had just changed my props on my Mavic Pro I put on stock props of course. I started it up, took it up to about 300 ft then it I heard a funny noise I looked down at my remote control and it says no prop and then or simultaneously my drone came down at 53 mph and crashed into my neighbor's roof and disintegrated. I had called DGI and mentioned it to them and they said they had never heard of anything like this and then because it was over 12 months there's no warranty. I tried to explain to them that it was not the drone that failed but it was the prop and that the prop was brand new out of the box just purchased and made by them... did they not warranty their props ? The drone was fine before the crash. The drone was absolutely fine I had 990 flights on it prior to that.. anyways we couldn't see eye to eye so I kind of just put it off to the side well just last week I'm walking in my front yard and what do you think I found I found the prop that broke off and you'll see in the picture you can see how it failed. All the other props involved in the crash are disintegrated and pieces but this one being the one is in one piece still I'm guessing this is the one that flew off. Causing the crash. ( There are no other props in my yard to choose from. I've never crashed my drone in the front yard before whereas I would need to choose from which crash a certain problem may have came from no there's only been the one crash in my yard or next to my yard. There this is the only set that was ever going going to find in my front yard from that night. So that I found this prop I knew exactly where It had come from). Anyways I'm back in contact with DJI hoping to resolve this matter. As I've mentioned before I am no novice when it comes to these drones I have I have several drones I have a phantom 4 I have a phantom 3 I have a recently purchased Mavic air I have a spark.. I'm all in here and I have plenty of experience You can look me up on the app whatever you'll see I got plenty of flights here I'm no novice here and I put the prop on correctly if I hadn't it wouldn't have taken off it would have flipped over upside down and crashed I've done it before on a different on a different drone. Anyways I just thought I'd show everybody this the prop that I found and everybody know that I'm I am fully engaged with DJI right now in regards to this as I feel they are fully responsible for my for my loss I did nothing wrong I installed the prop correctly and the prop failed causing my drone to crash Theres one more thing I wanted to mention in less than 300 ft... Let me start that over I've flown my Mavic Pro 990 times according to the app. only once or twice in sport mode and airplane mode simultaneously with the wind behind me was I able to reach speeds above 50 miles an hour I think my top speed is 54 miles per hour. When this thing crashed from 300 ft it was able to reach the speed of 53 mph when it hit the roof of my neighbor's house in 300 ft.. thats pretty impressive considering it took me having a tailwind in sport mode you know on a long stretch and probably a gust of wind to help me to help me reach that speed. But with three props this thing was able to accelerate to 53 mph in less than 300 ft.. from a standstill.. if someone wants to tell me how to load up the data to show you guys the flight I will do so you'll see I'm not making this up. I'm also going to show you the picture of the prop that I found in my yard about 30 ft from where the thing crashed I'm sure this is the one that flew off because the other three that we're involved in the crash and we're shattered and in pieces and you know there's not much left of them. Wheras this one's pretty much in one piece except for the hooks that's missing that would have held it on. The whole reason for crash altogether you'll see anyhow like I said if anybody wants to tell me how to load up the data from that crash I would be glad to do so so. I appreciate you reading my overly long rant whatever you want to call it . I'm a long-winded guy I make short stories long. I appreciate you hanging there and reading this for those who do..

Tom B. IMG_20200120_143548.jpegIMG_20200120_143536.jpegIMG_20200120_143541.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_20200120_143536.jpeg
    IMG_20200120_143536.jpeg
    60.6 KB · Views: 31
Reactions: Mavic Pro Platinum
as much as i sympathise with your loss, unless you can prove that the prop you found was linked to your drone, you are just clutching at straws,if you expect DJI to just give you a new drone ,sorry if that sounds harsh,just trying to be realistic

I'm a guy who's got lots of flying experience with their drones. I've been a big supporter of theirs. Even since the crash I've gone out and got a spark and a Mavic air. I won't say I bought them brand new or at full price but each one of them I've definitely invested money into each of them. Maybe they can return the loyalty that I've shown them. To be honest I don't know what I expect from DJI. Maybe they return some of the loyalty I've shown them. I do know that I'm going to follow this course to it's end and I'm going to fight for what's right. As I didn't do anything to cause this crash and lose my drone if I had done something stupid so be it I would accept it and move on but I didn't I'll say it once more I have almost a thousand flights under my belt with various DJI products. I can say I know what I'm doing confidently. I don't expect to win. But I got to show my boys how to do something the right way and how stand up for themselves. How honesty, integrity, honor and the truth are always our best weapons when we're fighting for what right. In when and if we lose I'll then show them how to fight with their wallets. Every time we go and buy a different brand drone it'll be a battle won. Screenshot_20200302-172743.jpegScreenshot_20200302-172735.jpeg

fair enough if that's what you want to do,brand loyalty could come into play,hope you get the result you are asking for

I am by far not as experienced as the average bear on this forum and certainly not even close to grrguy’s flight hours but I have to agree with some of the of the other respondents. Going to be tough to prove your case. IMO, the toughest part will be proving that you did in fact mount the prop(s) correctly. It would appear the locking tab, stub, clip, whatever you want to call it, failed due to high torque after not being properly seated. This could account for the fact your machine did indeed take off but at the high speed/toque needed for takeoff, the improperly mounted prop came loose and sheared the mounting clip, thus causing a catastrophic failure.
Sorry mate but I gotta side with the other mates and DJI on this one. It appears to be operator installation failure. Doesn’t make you a bad guy but it probably will make you a bit more vigilant during your next prop change.

It was a pretty long winded story. You should separate into paragraphs. I find myself trailing off midway a few times.
Maybe you should have done just that. To be honest I wrote the who thing while using the talk to text feature on my phones keyboard. There is no way in hell I would actually type out that entire diatribe. So I feel you to an extent.. However in the meantime, you really should get off your grammar Nazi horse and get over yourself..

Thank you Old Man Mavic sir for the encouragement. I hope your right about the brand loyalty...

Maybe you should have done just that. To be honest I wrote the who thing while using the talk to text feature on my phones keyboard. There is no way in hell I would actually type out that entire diatribe. So I feel you to an extent.. However in the meantime, you really should get off your grammar Nazi horse and get over yourself..

Thank you Old Man Mavic sir for the encouragement. I hope your right about the brand loyalty...
I wasn't even criticising your grammar. It just helps readers to follow your story when you break it up in sizeable paragraphs.

I wasn't even criticising your grammar. It just helps readers to follow your story when you break it up in sizeable paragraphs.
I concur. While I admire your aptitude for dictation, punctuation makes the text flow easier. Your text to word was actually remarkable but you can add verbal punctuation which helps the readers mental digestive system. All that aside, I will stick with my original assertion of the issue seeming to have stemmed from the prop being improperly installed. Stuff happens. You're allowed to be human but again, expecting DJI to replace your aircraft is akin to asking GM to replace your crashed SUV because when you changed a tire, you didn't tighten all the lug nuts, thus causing the wheel to fly off into a school bus and you and your car careening into a tractor trailer. Extreme scenario I freely admit but not out of the realm of possibility for a defense attorney. Be very glad your machine didn't smash on or into somebody's head.
Again, not criticizing you or your flying prowess. Just observing from a 4th wall perspective.

Last edited:
Sorry for the crash it does suck but do you or did u do a prop check I always try to check my props and I rotate between 4 sets my battery to and I make sure to hear the full battery click plus I try to remind the family to since on flying day theres 4 drones flying

Sorry for the crash it does suck but do you or did u do a prop check I always try to check my props and I rotate between 4 sets my battery to and I make sure to hear the full battery click plus I try to remind the family to since on flying day theres 4 drones flying
Actually I did, sir. As I had just installed them. I went back and checked each prop by holding on the motor with my index finger and thumb on my left hand. I didn't use my right hands thumb and index finger and I gently applied pressure with a back and forth motion directly to the center and attached part of the prop. I repeated this procedure on all four propellers. All the while making sure I didn't then accidentally turn them loose. It was quite the harrowing expirience to be sure. As I didn't know when to quit. I had to be certain that when checking them I didn't then knock or turn them loose. So I had to check and recheck and recheck and recheck. After what must have been an hour of this OCD type moment. I finally felt comfortable in that they were indeed attached firmly and in the way prescribed by the owner's manual thereof. I then placed the drone on the ground and did it once more. Checking and rechecking and rechecking for about an hour. Let me just tell you that my index finger and thumb on both my left and right hands were extremely sore from this incessant checking and rechecking of the props. Once I felt confident in the new props installation. I then started to initiate takeoff procedures. No less then 2 hours after the original installation of the new props.

P.S. I'm sorry to report sir that I did not check on the clicking of the battery. I assumed when the battery was locked in that the clicking noise had been made. Although I did not nor have not used this procedure in the past. I intend to include it in my future startup checklist. The last thing in the world I would want is for my battery to pop out mid-flight. That would be far worse than losing a prop. Especially now that I'm flying a Mavic Air and the battery's attached at the bottom.

Please sir do not feel that I'm making light of your comment. I have every intention of adding the battery clicking to my my startup checklist. In that it is of paramount concern to make sure that the battery is clicked in all the way.

Thank you for your time sir.

To all those concerned with my grammar and story telling abilities. I apologise. I was using talk to text. It doesn't tend to add the necessary or proper punctuation that's needed. I apologize for Google's shortcomings when they wrote this app. I have already placed a complaint in the Google keyboard fourms. It seems that you aren't the only people concerned with it. In the future, I will not. I repeat I will not use Google's talk to text to further inform you of my forthcoming fight with DJI. Meanwhile let me apologise once more for Google's talk to text or Google's "G board" shortcomings and then my own for using such an inferior platform.

Tom B.

Do you only fly once a once a week ? You mentioned a flying day. May I ask what day of the week that is ? Just out of curiosity. Does the whole family join you ? You said four drones in the air at once. That sounds like fun. I'd love to include my family in my hobby. It must get hectic with four drones airborne simultaneously. Based on my assumptions sir I envy you and your flying with your family that sounds like fun.

I don't know how to add the verbal punctuation. I'm going to look into it. Thank you... And sir, I did tighten the lug nuts and I double checked them too.. I didn't improperly install anything. I'm sorry. I wish that was the case then I could blame myself and put this to rest. I don't know that I expect DJI to replace my drone. However I do expect something from them as I'm out of an $1100 drone now because of them. Let me add this. If it was something I could fix I would but because my drone hit the neighbor's roof at 53 miles an hour there's nothing left to fix so what do I do ? I'm following up with the only recourse I know. If you were out your drone at no fault of your own. You would be trying this too partner. Don't try and say you wouldn't either, because you would..

Lastly, I couldn't agree more and I did mention that to DJI. That they, like me are extremely lucky that the drone didn't hit somebody or something besides a neighbor's roof then hurting somebody or something.

Thank you for your valuable insight.

Tom B.

I concur. While I admire your aptitude for dictation, punctuation makes the text flow easier. Your text to word was actually remarkable but you can add verbal punctuation which helps the readers mental digestive system. All that aside, I will stick with my original assertion of the issue seeming to have stemmed from the prop being improperly installed. Stuff happens. You're allowed to be human but again, expecting DJI to replace your aircraft is akin to asking GM to replace your crashed SUV because when you changed a tire, you didn't tighten all the lug nuts, thus causing the wheel to fly off into a school bus and you and your car careening into a tractor trailer. Extreme scenario I freely admit but not out of the realm of possibility for a defense attorney. Be very glad your machine didn't smash on or into somebody's head.
Again, not criticizing you or your flying prowess. Just observing from a 4th wall perspective.

Last edited:
Reactions: allenface
Actually I did, sir. As I had just installed them. I went back and checked each prop by holding on the motor with my index finger and thumb on my left hand. I didn't use my right hands thumb and index finger and I gently applied pressure with a back and forth motion directly to the center and attached part of the prop. I repeated this procedure on all four propellers. All the while making sure I didn't then accidentally turn them loose. It was quite the harrowing expirience to be sure. As I didn't know when to quit. I had to be certain that when checking them I didn't then knock or turn them loose. So I had to check and recheck and recheck and recheck. After what must have been an hour of this OCD type moment. I finally felt comfortable in that they were indeed attached firmly and in the way prescribed by the owner's manual thereof. I then placed the drone on the ground and did it once more. Checking and rechecking and rechecking for about an hour. Let me just tell you that my index finger and thumb on both my left and right hands were extremely sore from this incessant checking and rechecking of the props. Once I felt confident in the new props installation. I then started to initiate takeoff procedures. No less then 2 hours after the original installation of the new props.

P.S. I'm sorry to report sir that I did not check on the clicking of the battery. I assumed when the battery was locked in that the clicking noise had been made. Although I did not nor have not used this procedure in the past. I intend to include it in my future startup checklist. The last thing in the world I would want is for my battery to pop out mid-flight. That would be far worse than losing a prop. Especially now that I'm flying a Mavic Air and the battery's attached at the bottom.

Please sir do not feel that I'm making light of your comment. I have every intention of adding the battery clicking to my my startup checklist. In that it is of paramount concern to make sure that the battery is clicked in all the way.

Thank you for your time sir.

To all those concerned with my grammar and story telling abilities. I apologise. I was using talk to text. It doesn't tend to add the necessary or proper punctuation that's needed. I apologize for Google's shortcomings when they wrote this app. I have already placed a complaint in the Google keyboard fourms. It seems that you aren't the only people concerned with it. In the future, I will not. I repeat I will not use Google's talk to text to further inform you of my forthcoming fight with DJI. Meanwhile let me apologise once more for Google's talk to text or Google's "G board" shortcomings and then my own for using such an inferior platform.

Tom B.
Write them a letter explaining that you will be shopping with Autel from now on. They like to hear stuff like that.

Do you only fly once a once a week ? You mentioned a flying day. May I ask what day of the week that is ? Just out of curiosity. Does the whole family join you ? You said four drones in the air at once. That sounds like fun. I'd love to include my family in my hobby. It must get hectic with four drones airborne simultaneously. Based on my assumptions sir I envy you and your flying with your family that sounds like fun.
No we fly all the time when weather permits with all the other hobbies my self I have the mavic zoom my wife mavic pro 2 and my 2 sons have the spark.The wife and I have 3 batteries and my sons have 4 so it's quite of an adventure for us

I don't know how to add the verbal punctuation. I'm going to look into it. Thank you... And sir, I did tighten the lug nuts and I double checked them too.. I didn't improperly install anything. I'm sorry. I wish that was the case then I could blame myself and put this to rest. I don't know that I expect DJI to replace my drone. However I do expect something from them as I'm out of an $1100 drone now because of them. Let me add this. If it was something I could fix I would but because my drone hit the neighbor's roof at 53 miles an hour there's nothing left to fix so what do I do ? I'm following up with the only recourse I know. If you were out your drone at no fault of your own. You would be trying this too partner. Don't try and say you wouldn't either, because you would..

Lastly, I couldn't agree more and I did mention that to DJI. That they, like me are extremely lucky that the drone didn't hit somebody or something besides a neighbor's roof then hurting somebody or something.

Thank you for your valuable insight.

Tom B.
Of course I’m here and you‘re there. You know you. I know me. If I had your flight experience and hours and it happened to me, who knows what approach I would take. I’m a director of photography with lots of movie, TV and network news and news magazine experience. Compare to you, I have minutes of airtime compared to your weeks, relatively speaking, so I can only access what I read from you. That said, if things were reversed, as you observed, I’m sure I’d be looking for culpability. In my business we always say, ”There are no problems, only solutions:”. If one of my crew approaches me and says :”We have a problem...”, I always counter with “Correction! YOU have a problem, not me. Fix it! How can I help?”. To continue with your scenario, if the props were reversed (see how I did that?) I would want to know the “why’s and how”. I employ the scientific method. I assume the results but look for the reason. I also used my prowess as a journalist to try and gather empirical evidence to either prove or disprove my position or opinion. Probably the first thing I would do is research if there were similar incidents and how many. Then I would analyze the causes. Not saying you are planning on suing anybody but if that were the case, your attorney would do just that, as would DJI or whomever. If it were determined there is basically no history of prop failure or the reporting thereof, then one can assume this is a unique incident and one that bears further scrutiny. As it states in one of lesson modules on Part 107...80% of ALL aircraft mishaps are from human error. (I am struggling as we speak to get licensed. I’ve been flying under the radar too long).
We are all human and we all make errors. Again, not diminishing your issue. There could very well been a bad batch of props that are prone to failure. If that were the case, there should be more incidents and from my limited eyesight of observation, I’m not seeing that. Prove me wrong please. That said, with little or no empirical evidence to prove otherwise, it would IMO, be a safe bet to point to improper installation of the prop. However, your photo clearly shows the props clip or whatever you want to call it, was almost cleanly sheared off. Was that a factory fault of that one prop only, or did that shearling occurring when your craft hit the roof at 53 mph? My conclusion is...probably. And as much as I admire your flying experience, I still have to remain steadfast in the possibility that prop was improperly installed. It could have actually be “over installed”...meaning perhaps when installing the prop, too much torque was applied while attempting a tight fit. That could have caused a hairline crack. A hairline crack could have occurred from shipping and the start up torque took it’s toll. In that case UPS or FEDX could be held accountable.
There is a third possibility that’s quite plausible, and that’s that the craft went rogue. There are dozens of posts on this and other sites about just that, with almost the same end results. Your inspection of the pieces and noting the cracked prop mounting stub, again, could have been the result of impact. Again, The Scientific Method.
In conclusion (finally right?) concerning verbal punctuation...it’s basically like dictation, except you tell Siri were you want commas, question marks, exclamation points and periods placed.
Not going to belabor this thread any longer. The fact is, you are out of your drone. That’s a fact. You will get a replacement. That’s a fact. And if I may be so bold, you will be extremely fastidious about flight prep, which from all indications, you are.
Culpability is key.
March on my friend. March...on!

Of course I’m here and you‘re there. You know you. I know me. If I had your flight experience and hours and it happened to me, who knows what approach I would take. I’m a director of photography with lots of movie, TV and network news and news magazine experience. Compare to you, I have minutes of airtime compared to your weeks, relatively speaking, so I can only access what I read from you. That said, if things were reversed, as you observed, I’m sure I’d be looking for culpability. In my business we always say, ”There are no problems, only solutions:”. If one of my crew approaches me and says :”We have a problem...”, I always counter with “Correction! YOU have a problem, not me. Fix it! How can I help?”. To continue with your scenario, if the props were reversed (see how I did that?) I would want to know the “why’s and how”. I employ the scientific method. I assume the results but look for the reason. I also used my prowess as a journalist to try and gather empirical evidence to either prove or disprove my position or opinion. Probably the first thing I would do is research if there were similar incidents and how many. Then I would analyze the causes. Not saying you are planning on suing anybody but if that were the case, your attorney would do just that, as would DJI or whomever. If it were determined there is basically no history of prop failure or the reporting thereof, then one can assume this is a unique incident and one that bears further scrutiny. As it states in one of lesson modules on Part 107...80% of ALL aircraft mishaps are from human error. (I am struggling as we speak to get licensed. I’ve been flying under the radar too long).
We are all human and we all make errors. Again, not diminishing your issue. There could very well been a bad batch of props that are prone to failure. If that were the case, there should be more incidents and from my limited eyesight of observation, I’m not seeing that. Prove me wrong please. That said, with little or no empirical evidence to prove otherwise, it would IMO, be a safe bet to point to improper installation of the prop. However, your photo clearly shows the props clip or whatever you want to call it, was almost cleanly sheared off. Was that a factory fault of that one prop only, or did that shearling occurring when your craft hit the roof at 53 mph? My conclusion is...probably. And as much as I admire your flying experience, I still have to remain steadfast in the possibility that prop was improperly installed. It could have actually be “over installed”...meaning perhaps when installing the prop, too much torque was applied while attempting a tight fit. That could have caused a hairline crack. A hairline crack could have occurred from shipping and the start up torque took it’s toll. In that case UPS or FEDX could be held accountable.
There is a third possibility that’s quite plausible, and that’s that the craft went rogue. There are dozens of posts on this and other sites about just that, with almost the same end results. Your inspection of the pieces and noting the cracked prop mounting stub, again, could have been the result of impact. Again, The Scientific Method.
In conclusion (finally right?) concerning verbal punctuation...it’s basically like dictation, except you tell Siri were you want commas, question marks, exclamation points and periods placed.
Not going to belabor this thread any longer. The fact is, you are out of your drone. That’s a fact. You will get a replacement. That’s a fact. And if I may be so bold, you will be extremely fastidious about flight prep, which from all indications, you are.
Culpability is key.
March on my friend. March...on!

Is this one of those “when in Rome”-formatted responses? ;)

Come on, DJI...give the OP a loyal customer discount code already! And post it here for all to see (and shop, too.)

Is this one of those “when in Rome”-formatted responses? ;)

Come on, DJI...give the OP a loyal customer discount code already! And post it here for all to see (and shop, too.)
Not sure what you mean with the "When in Rome " or the "formatted responses" reference but I'm just observing with a critical eye and keeping all options open, though I have made myself clear about the possibility of human error.

Reactions: pelagic_one
Wow, lot of attitude for someone that thinks he has a lot of flying experience. You've had, what, 4-5 RC aircraft from DJI now, all drones that fly themselves, it's easier than flying an aircraft on GTA or other video games. You could set the controller down and take a whiz and the drone would be hovering waiting for you. I'm not disparaging the other drone enthusiasts on here, but they're also not acting cocky, insulting other members and bragging about how experienced they are as a pilot. I've been in the hobby close to 7yrs now, and owned or built with my own two hands, close to 45-50 drones. I've started a drone program at my fire dept before I retired, I still volunteer my time with my local fire and police departs, training with specialized drones, and I am currently finishing up a DJI S1000 octocopter mod, with a lighting rig for search n rescue ops.

I am in no way trying to brag, I'm simply stating, between Ol man mavic, RayOz, allenface, rattydude, flycaster, xspwipe, pelagin_one and myself, I'm guessing there's close to... what do you think guys, about 50yrs, maybe more, of RC aircraft experience you have access to, and you come in with that attitude? I may not have been on this forum as long as others, or have near the posts, but that's because one, I am on a lot of different drone/quad forums, and two, because I do a lot of listening and asking questions. Even with my average amount of 6-7yrs experience, I try and learn something every time I go to a drone forum, every time I fire up my Mavic, or put my fatsharks on to do some freestyle. I will NEVER be too old to learn something new, you just gotta keep your mind and ears open and tone down the attitude a bit.

As far as your Mavic getting trashed, I know first hand that sucks, I had a P4P drop out of the sky like a led balloon after an update, had flight logs n everything, and got nothing. I'm not sticking up for DJI, but even if they are DJI props, they are most likely sold by a 3rd party vendor, even if not, you can't expect them to replace complete drones, because someone said they swear they put the prop on correctly. I'm OCD too, and I am not doubting you did it correctly and re-checked it several times, but them is just the brakes sometimes. There's a popular logo/t-shirt that goes around in the fpv quad groups, it says, "build it, fly it, crash it, repeat", it's not a cheap hobby, sorry to break it to ya. Sorry If I started off rough, but your comments got to me, but I will still end with the same farewell I give to all my fellow drone enthusiasts, Happy Flying!!

Reactions: old man mavic
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hiinthesky