DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Bad Time To Become A Drone Enthusiast?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kamau54

Reactions
Between RemoteID, and DJI found guilty of copyright infringement, did I chose a bad time to become hooked on drones?
I've gotten 3 drones since Christmas (which probably classifies me as hooked), and was seriously considering adding the MA2 to my collection.
Now...

not sure there has ever been a good time lately,from the amount of uninformed rubbish,that seems to plague the pastime
but you are right it does seem that its all going down hill fast

We have the most powerful drones ever, at a relatively affordable price, and as flying hobbies go we don’t really face that many regs. Yet it seems every other thread is doom and gloom these days.

Plenty of hobbies face regs, and patent lawsuits/verdicts happen all the time and get resolved. Get a grip. DJI is going to keep selling drones and the government isn’t going to regulate them out of existence.

I’m pretty burned out on all the negativity. While I learned a lot here, it’s why I honestly rarely read these boards more than a couple of times per week if that, vs. multiple times per day a year ago.

Sorry to be so ranty (and this is not even particularly directed at the posters on this thread - it’s something worthy of discussion but can we get back to talking about why we enjoy flying drones and helping one another?), but hearing people do nothing but bemoan the state of their high(ish)-priced hobby feel sorry for themselves isn’t what I came for.

Last edited:
thanks for your input, and a lot of what you say i can relate too
the whole world is in the doldrums right now and that is not helping people to feel upbeat

We have the most powerful drones ever, at a relatively affordable price, and as flying hobbies go we don’t really face that many regs. Yet it seems every other thread is doom and gloom these days.

Plenty of hobbies face regs, and patent lawsuits/verdicts happen all the time and get resolved. Get a grip. DJI is going to keep selling drones and the government isn’t going to regulate them out of existence.

I’m pretty burned out on all the negativity. While I learned a lot here, it’s why I honestly rarely read these boards more than a couple of times per week if that, vs. multiple times per day a year ago.

Sorry to be so ranty (and this is not even particularly directed at the posters on this thread - it’s something worthy of discussion but can we get back to talking about why we enjoy flying drones and helping one another?), but hearing people do nothing but bemoan the state of their high(ish)-priced hobby feel sorry for themselves isn’t what I came for.

And I hate to say it, but if you rarely read the forums, and hate to hear others reports of it, then you are really ill equipped to respond because you don't have the facts. All you have is an opinion on a subject you know little about.
Besides that, the internet and/or social media groups are not the right place to be if all you want to hear is positive posts.
Jus sayin'

Reactions: BigAl07
And I hate to say it, but if you rarely read the forums, and hate to hear others reports of it, then you are really ill equipped to respond because you don't have the facts. All you have is an opinion on a subject you know little about.
Besides that, the internet and/or social media groups are not the right place to be if all you want to hear is positive posts.
Jus sayin'

And yet despite that, @Maviac's assessment was accurate. These kinds of end-of-the-hobby posts have been around since I started participating here in 2014 - they have been demonstrably wrong for the last 6 years.

Jus sayin'
Jus saying that the patent case (not copyright) case won't make any difference to drone flyers, but will put money in lawyers pockets.
And your concerns about remote ID won't make much difference either.
Done forums seem to attract gloom and doom posts, but so far none have been correct in their predictions for the end of drone flying.

Jus sayin'
Not really trying to argue here as that’s pointless. But I will say I DO read the forums and there has been a steady increase in these sorts of posts. As I said I’m not blaming you - you haven’t been around here that long - but at some point the horse is dead until something else comes up. The mods are good at avoiding repetitive threads but there’s only so much they can do.

As far as not knowing much about the subject: again, arguing on the internet ia sort of pointless, but as a lawyer, as well as a private and 107 UAS pilot (for about a year and a half, roughly the time I’ve been here), I have spent countless (hundreds, at least, as far as UAS regs go) hours studying past, current, and proposed regs and proposals, along with related documents. I’ve represented UAS pilots before the FAA. I am far from the most knowledgeable person here (OMM and SAR are two who come to mind who could run circles around me in drone knowledge) but I do take issue with the suggestion that it is a “subject (I) know little about.”

I do hope you can enjoy it. I remember a similar hopeless feeling after 9/11 when there was serious concern that general aviation might be dead, and I had just gotten my PPC. So I sort of get it.

Last edited:
Between RemoteID, and DJI found guilty of copyright infringement, did I chose a bad time to become hooked on drones?
I've gotten 3 drones since Christmas (which probably classifies me as hooked), and was seriously considering adding the MA2 to my collection.
Now...

You're hopelessly addicted now.

The positive IMO is that we who fly drones type M2P within the EU, have dispensation from many of the requirements up to 1/7 2022, however we need to take a drone driver card online, 40 questions, 30 must be answered correctly.

So hopefully with relief in "Lockdown" in many countries we can continue and devote ourselves to employment that gives us joy, exercise and inspiration, drone flying.

Amen.

Just be careful flying over the edge of the world ..... after all the flat earth rumour may not be ....

Now...

No this is not the wrong time to start with drones any more than it was to become a light aircraft pilot when they started the outrageous demands of an airworthiness certificate and a pilot's license. No worse than being a car enthusiast when they demanded you had a Drivers license and insurance. Then had the affrontary to say how fast you could drive and that you had to stop when some silly lights said so....

Due to a few being stupid there are now rules but this was the same for (all) aircraft and cars and trucks In fact lots of things that require licenses and rules after there were more than just a few of them.

Any nay-sayers out there, the doom-and-gloom folks....you do what you want. I'm going to continue to enjoy my hobby and do it safely; you will never get me down.

Enjoy life, guys and gals; life is way to short to be dragged down by negative stuff that may or may not happen.

Just have fun :)

Now...
Sorry bud but your the one missing out on facts

DJi has been found guilty of nothing

There is no law passed yet so there are no facts

In the early days of manned aviation, it was pretty much a free-for-all and devoid of formal regulation - other than the natural laws of physics. Barnstormers flew around showing off their equipment and skills, and they even offered rides to folks for money, many of whom had never even seen an airplane before. Quickly however, it became clear that there were much grander, commercial possibilities related to manned flight, and that is when things began to get much more complicated - sort of like in the UAV industry now.

In order for individuals to get funding and eventually insurance toward the purposes of commercial aviation development and implementation, they sought out investors and/or banks, but most financial sources - and insurance companies - were reluctant to invest until safety standards and regulations were created. In the early 1900's, the first version of today's FAA was created - known as the Civil Aeronautics Board - and as a result, manned aviation flourished into what it is today as a result of standards and regulations.

In many ways, history is repeating itself when it comes to the growth of the UAV industry. Commercial prospects abound, and as such, standards and regulations are here - sort of - with many more on the way. This is not necessarily a bad thing either, and certainly not a reason to avoid the hobby outright. Remember, one of the primary elements of intelligence is the ability to adapt, and without a doubt, we are going to have to adapt to changes that are on the way.

Now...
This has been a tit for tat thing for years and it appears to be no different. I haven’t read where DJI was found guilty of patent infringement and I’m not saying they‘re not, but context is important.
DJI accused of copyright infringement in the US… by a Chinese-owned company

And yet despite that, @Maviac's assessment was accurate. These kinds of end-of-the-hobby posts have been around since I started participating here in 2014 - they have been demonstrably wrong for the last 6 years.
@mavics assessment may have been accurate, but the courts disagreed, hence the verdict against DJI. And unfortunately, yours or mine opinion on the matter is irrelevant because the courts decision on the next step is what's important.
Buts here's where I'm stumped. I stated 2 facts, and then asked a question. Exactly how did that evolve into this? Now I get it, where people want me to see the bright side of it. Unfortunately, I can't see the light if I don't know what the darkness is. I am not one who only sees the glass as half full, I see it half empty as well. I acknowledge it all, right it wrong, good or bad. Anything less is just lying to myself, and only getting half the picture.
So maybe this issue with DJI will pass. That doesn't mean it didn't exist. I wasn't into drones years ago, so I can't comment on it. I can listen to others opinion on it that was, but since I have no first hand knowledge of it, that's all it is, your opinion.

This has been a tit for tat thing for years and it appears to be no different. I haven’t read where DJI was found guilty of patent infringement and I’m not saying they‘re not, but context is important.
DJI accused of copyright infringement in the US… by a Chinese-owned company

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000