DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Bad timing to buy MA2(This is a rant)

Fadly

Reactions
Just got my Mavic Air 2 few days ago. I like the new controller design. It easier to set up compared to the old DJI controller. My 6.5 inch phone fit snugly compared to the struggle I faced with my mavic mini. But during the coronavirus lockdown, the government have enacted a private UAV/RPV flight ban. The reasoning is that they don't want the private UAV to interfere with the one use by the police and the military to monitor and enforce the quarantine. I can understand that and I respect it. But then, I heard rumors that they've been considering making this arrangement permanent. They will either ban it outright, or at least make it difficult and expensive for a mere hobbyist to own and fly a drone. Seem's like I may soon need to find oversea's buyer for my drones.

Just got my Mavic Air 2 few days ago. I like the new controller design. It easier to set up compared to the old DJI controller. My 6.5 inch phone fit snugly compared to the struggle I faced with my mavic mini. But during the coronavirus lockdown, the government have enacted a private UAV/RPV flight ban. The reasoning is that they don't want the private UAV to interfere with the one use by the police and the military to monitor and enforce the quarantine. I can understand that and I respect it. But then, I heard rumors that they've been considering making this arrangement permanent. They will either ban it outright, or at least make it difficult and expensive for a mere hobbyist to own and fly a drone. Seem's like I may soon need to find oversea's buyer for my drones.
What is your source for the UAV/RPV flight ban. First I've heard of it.....

**** are you living under a dictatorship?

But then, I heard rumors that they've been considering making this arrangement permanent.
You heard a rumour.
But how reliable is your rumour?
There's not much point getting anxious about an unconfirmed rumour.

Last edited:
Reactions: GadgetGuy
Might be a valid concern. Maybe return it while you can until this gets figured out. KL is a great city for flying around in. Lots of nice things to take pics of

Hi countryman, there’s far too many rumours flying around, more than drones I’m afraid. But for our weak government to make hobby drone flying permanent, it’ll be a bad bad move. Won’t happen, my take. The only reason they made this temporary ban was to allow 4 commercial companies to make a good short buck flying drones around for monitoring the Movement Control Order. I imagine when there is nothing to monitor, they will stop paying these companies and to retain this ban will just not serve any party.

besides I just saw in FB some other Malaysian pilots who were pissed enough and they called the cops for clarification. They aren’t even interested in really enforcing the current temporary ban if you don’t do anything stupid. Remember many police are also hobby flyers.

Just give it some time and when the CMCO is over, it'll be clear skies again.

enjoy your Mavic Air 2, I know I have!

Hi countryman, there’s far too many rumours flying around, more than drones I’m afraid. But for our weak government to make hobby drone flying permanent, it’ll be a bad bad move. Won’t happen, my take. The only reason they made this temporary ban was to allow 4 commercial companies to make a good short buck flying drones around for monitoring the Movement Control Order. I imagine when there is nothing to monitor, they will stop paying these companies and to retain this ban will just not serve any party.

besides I just saw in FB some other Malaysian pilots who were pissed enough and they called the cops for clarification. They aren’t even interested in really enforcing the current temporary ban if you don’t do anything stupid. Remember many police are also hobby flyers.

Just give it some time and when the CMCO is over, it'll be clear skies again.

enjoy your Mavic Air 2, I know I have!

Thanks for easing my mind. Anyway, I want to ask the relevant authority directly. But I was afraid that doing so may only serve to provoke them.

Last edited:
Reactions: SFSOC and Hauptmann
Congrats on the MA2, an awesome little bit of kit. You have many many hours of fun ahead. Sorry to hear about the negative rumours. Try and enjoy more today, worry less about tomorrow. Life is too short as it is, enjoy when it’s safe to do and make some awesome
Memories that would not be possible otherwise. Fly safe Thumbswayup

Reactions: Hauptmann
I hope a permanent ban is not the case. KLM is a beautiful city! Never been anywhere near there, but I've seen many outstanding photos.

Definitely on my bucket list!

The government would be dealing DJI a low blow. I doubt it they would want to do that. They seem to have good relations with China.. just thinking..

(since may 12th) I suspect someone using old information is just another person enjoying stirring the pot to get reaction.

Yes, Kuala Lumpur, the city (the capital) in MALAYSIA.
Please keep us posted on your future flight permissions/restrictions. Thanks.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580