DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Balancing Mavic Props

It's going to be tough to do since you need to guarantee they are fully extended before trying to balance them. This guy had a go at it:

Shown within the video is only static balancing which is only half of the truth.
If e.g. one prop blade is twisted a bit more than the other there will also be a inbalance in flight, even if static balance is fine.
So, from my experience, it is better to just do a dynamic balancing, same as I am doing with all my other copters.

For doing so, just follow these steps:

1. Unfold the Mavic, place it onto a table and remove all props except for one.
2. Firmly hold the Mavic by one hand at the arm with the propeller and start the motors.
3. Try with different rpm and feel for vibration.
4. If there is vibration, stop the motors and put a piece of tape at the tip of one blade.
5. Repeat from 2. If vibration goes worse then remove the tape and put it onto the other blade.
6. Optimize the tape size until vibration is minimal.
7. Remove the prop, mount another one and repeat from step 2. until all four props are ok.

Finally, instead of leaving the tape on a blade you can also try sanding the opposite blade down a bit. Just repeat the test with that prop until vibration is lowest.

i have balanced folding glider props before without problems.. balancing props is something i always do as a matter of course..

trog

Newb question - whats the benefit/purpose of balancing props? Tks

Newb question - whats the benefit/purpose of balancing props? Tks

It's just like balancing a tire on a car or anything else that spins at a high rate of speed. A small inconsistency becomes a large inconsistency the faster it spins. If the discrepancy is big enough it can ruin motors, cause cracking etc. or I'm assuming that's the case.

When I raced cars balancing everything on the motor was extremely important. If it wasn't it would eventually destroy itself

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

It's just like balancing a tire on a car or anything else that spins at a high rate of speed. A small inconsistency becomes a large inconsistency the faster it spins. If the discrepancy is big enough it can ruin motors, cause cracking etc. or I'm assuming that's the case.

When I raced cars balancing everything on the motor was extremely important. If it wasn't it would eventually destroy itself

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots
I agree with the basic principle that anything rotating should be balanced to a degree... But apart from that feeling, if there's no off center vibration etc. Aren't there any measurable benefits? I mean if there is some serious need to balance the props, it would be in the manual, and obligatory or a warranty condition imho...

I agree with the basic principle that anything rotating should be balanced to a degree... But apart from that feeling, if there's no off center vibration etc. Aren't there any measurable benefits? I mean if there is some serious need to balance the props, it would be in the manual, and obligatory or a warranty condition imho...
None of all the DJI quads I have had ever needed balancing when I used the original DJI props. Only when I tried some third party stuff I needed to do it. Which is why I never buy anything else than original DJI props. DJI claims they don't need to be balanced and so far they have been 100% accurate.

Consider also that filing off material could compromise the overall integrity of the original props.

Reactions: Callum
Some folks just have a need to do things like this, a bit like ironing socks, is there a real need or benefit? Manufacturing tolerances have been getting better and better to the point that it’s most likely no longer necessary to balance props, or DJI might have mentioned it somewhere. My advice...look outside and if the weather is ok...go fly.

Some folks just have a need to do things like this, a bit like ironing socks, is there a real need or benefit? Manufacturing tolerances have been getting better and better to the point that it’s most likely no longer necessary to balance props, or DJI might have mentioned it somewhere. My advice...look outside and if the weather is ok...go fly.
Ironing socks [emoji23]

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54