DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Basic with fly more or Pro with no xtras?

shawnhar

Reactions
First drone, plan to purchase in October.
If it were your first drone and you could only get the Pro with the RC controller and nothing else, OR the basic version with fly more kit and some cheap filters, which would you choose?

I have to have the RC controller so no savings there, no plans to make money with it. I want to learn how to fly it like a boss, so I'm leaning toward the basic just so I have the extra batteries for flight time.

Planning to buy refurb from DJI

What would you do?

Reactions: rjwmorrell
It depends what's most important to you, but here's the accessory order I'd go with (top being the most important):
  • Extra batteries (one battery isn't enough)
  • DJI RC remote controller (the screen is awesome)
  • Charging hub (makes charging multiple batteries more convenient)
  • Filters (possibly won't need them at all)

Reactions: shawnhar
Mini 3 Pro with DJI RC and fly more kit. Decide later if you need the filters.

Also from Amazon

You will need a 30Watt USB charger for the batteries.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BBZF6D5S?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_dt_b_asin_title

This is good to protect the props when in the bag. I use it every time I store the drone.

You will need at least 2 memory cards one for the Mini 3 pro and 1 for the DJI-RC.

If you would like to see how many watts you are charging the batteries or the remote this works ok. Not required but I like to see my charging rate.

There are many screen protectors on Amazon for the DJI-RC. You might want to consider one of them.

I would advise also to purchase the DJI care refresh; all it takes for a mishap is one little tree branch for drone damage to happen.

Hope this helps.

one little tree branch for drone damage
Or………. you could just fly well above the drone eating trees and save some money.
A land camera could be used for tree growth areas and below.
(just more food for thought for the OP)

I agree with @Aquaelie. Go with the Pro and skip the Fly More kit. The included bag really drives up the cost. Add an extra battery. Two gives you plenty of flying time. If you're like most folks you'll never use the ND filters.

Recertified drones from DJI's ebay store are a good way to save a few dollars.

Go ahead now and get your TRUST certificate, download and read the manual, and work through The Pilot Institute's free Deep Dive course on the Mini 3 Pro and the ones on basic drone flying. You'll be way ahead when you start flying in October.

I went with the regular Mini 3. Here's why:

- I don't need forward and rear OA
- The regular has the exact same gimbal and camera, the difference is a loss of an ISO level I will never use
- the regular has longer flight time, and with the Plus battery it's over 50 minutes
- I can live without H.265 video compression
- the O2 vs O3 difference is not a factor for me, I don't fly far enough away normally, and 720p resolution for the love view is good enough to see what I'm doing clearly
- it's hundreds in savings, especially with the sale that ended today, and I put that savings into a fly more kit
- I don't need MasterShots, I've played with it once and I'd rather just shoot and edit what I want the way I want
- I don't need or use slow-motion video, and if I really do, I have an Air 2S for that

I went with the regular Mini 3. Here's why:

- I don't need forward and rear OA
- The regular has the exact same gimbal and camera, the difference is a loss of an ISO level I will never use
- the regular has longer flight time, and with the Plus battery it's over 50 minutes
- I can live without H.265 video compression
- the O2 vs O3 difference is not a factor for me, I don't fly far enough away normally, and 720p resolution for the love view is good enough to see what I'm doing clearly
- it's hundreds in savings, especially with the sale that ended today, and I put that savings into a fly more kit
- I don't need MasterShots, I've played with it once and I'd rather just shoot and edit what I want the way I want
- I don't need or use slow-motion video, and if I really do, I have an Air 2S for that
I was almost of the same mind, but I want the pro for several reasons, adding the Integra goggles later is a now goal, 1080 on the screen is a big deal for me, I do want slowmo, and the high ISO I really want. I plan to use software that lets you take lots of still frames and combine them to reduce noise, so I can get night time pictures with very little noise using 6400.

Reactions: rjwmorrell
I was almost of the same mind, but I want the pro for several reasons, adding the Integra goggles later is a now goal, 1080 on the screen is a big deal for me, I do want slowmo, and the high ISO I really want. I plan to use software that lets you take lots of still frames and combine them to reduce noise, so I can get night time pictures with very little noise using 6400.
Excellent points! The goggles,while cool, were another thing that didn't interest me.

That's why these forums are great, others can see what different people prioritize and plan accordingly. 👍

The course I had not heard of but I’ll check this out. Thank you MS Coast
Go ahead now and get your TRUST certificate, download and read the manual, and work through The Pilot Institute's free Deep Dive course on the Mini 3 Pro and the ones on basic drone flying. You'll be way ahead when you start flying in October

Reactions: MS Coast
The course I had not heard of but I’ll check this out. Thank you MS Coast
It's actually required by the FAA for anyone flying a drone recreationally.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13