DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Batteries Care

ElM3M3

Reactions
Hi, my name is Rene and I bought a Mavic Pro Fly more Combo 2 weeks ago and it came with the 3 batteries completely dead, so I had to replace them.

I been flying RC Helicopters and cheap drones for a long time and always had bad experiences with batteries, atleast those batteries were cheap enough to buy many of them, but the battery of this drone are not cheap enough

I know there are a lot of information about this, but I see a lot of confusion too...

This is what I´m actually doing:
  1. Before every flight I just charge them (1, 2 or all of them) to 100%
  2. Then I land when the battery is around 30-35%
  3. If I´m going to fly again I let the drone to cool down, before going with the second battery
  4. Then if I´m not going to fly again I let the battery or batteries to cool down, then I charge them from 30-35% to 50-60%
  5. Then when I´m ready to fly again I charge the batteries from 50-60% to 100% once again

I don´t know if I´m doing this right, I know the general care of batteries: "Charge them to 100% before using the drone, charge/discharge them between 40-60% if you are not going to use them for 5-10 days or more, do not discharge them below 5%, do not charge them to 100% if you are not going to use them for many days, try to avoid discharging them below 20%"

But I also read that is bad for batteries to keep them with 100% or below 30% even for one day
And I also read that
is bad for batteries charge them parcially (and this is what I been doing with my batteries)

I don´t like to charge a battery to 100% if I´m not going to use it in the next hours, but I don´t like to leave it with low % for more than 24 hours, so I´m always charging/discharing them to keep them around 50%

Hope you can help me :)

Hi, my name is Rene and I bought a Mavic Pro Fly more Combo 2 weeks ago and it came with the 3 batteries completely dead, so I had to replace them.

I been flying RC Helicopters and cheap drones for a long time and always had bad experiences with batteries, atleast those batteries were cheap enough to buy many of them, but the battery of this drone are not cheap enough

I know there are a lot of information about this, but I see a lot of confusion too...

This is what I´m actually doing:
  1. Before every flight I just charge them (1, 2 or all of them) to 100%
  2. Then I land when the battery is around 30-35%
  3. If I´m going to fly again I let the drone to cool down, before going with the second battery
  4. Then if I´m not going to fly again I let the battery or batteries to cool down, then I charge them from 30-35% to 50-60%
  5. Then when I´m ready to fly again I charge the batteries from 50-60% to 100% once again

I don´t know if I´m doing this right, I know the general care of batteries: "Charge them to 100% before using the drone, charge/discharge them between 40-60% if you are not going to use them for 5-10 days or more, do not discharge them below 5%, do not charge them to 100% if you are not going to use them for many days, try to avoid discharging them below 20%"

But I also read that is bad for batteries to keep them with 100% or below 30% even for one day
And I also read that
is bad for batteries charge them parcially (and this is what I been doing with my batteries)

I don´t like to charge a battery to 100% if I´m not going to use it in the next hours, but I don´t like to leave it with low % for more than 24 hours, so I´m always charging/discharing them to keep them around 50%

Hope you can help me :)
Hi Rene,

Just a thought, all DJI batteries arrive in hibernation mode. Are you aware of this?

Reactions: Flycaster
welcome to the forum,its ok to store them at between 40 to 65% the main thing is as you say not to let them stay at 100% for to long and also not to let them get very low for a long period
i have 4 batteries for my MPP and they all have over 50 plus charges on them with up to now now ill effects
i have my first battery warning set to 40% and i am usually landing around 45% at that level from 100% i can get around 18 to 20 mins flight time per battery
then after they cool and recover i find that i have 2 solid lights and they are perfectly able to be stored at that for several weeks or before i charge them again to fly again
i have never done a deep discharge and have no issues with swelling on any of them the biggest killer of batteries is heat
with regards to you dead batteries did you try to charge them as stated above they could have been stored at a very low charge for a considerable time
and it takes a long time to get them charged from that point if they are past saving then DJI should replace them

Reactions: WAXMAN
Hi Rene,

Just a thought, all DJI batteries arrive in hibernation mode. Are you aware of this?

Yes, heard about that, but the batteries were completely dead

welcome to the forum,its ok to store them at between 40 to 65% the main thing is as you say not to let them stay at 100% for to long and also not to let them get very low for a long period
i have 4 batteries for my MPP and they all have over 50 plus charges on them with up to now now ill effects
i have my first battery warning set to 40% and i am usually landing around 45% at that level from 100% i can get around 18 to 20 mins flight time per battery
then after they cool and recover i find that i have 2 solid lights and they are perfectly able to be stored at that for several weeks or before i charge them again to fly again
i have never done a deep discharge and have no issues with swelling on any of them the biggest killer of batteries is heat
with regards to you dead batteries did you try to charge them as stated above they could have been stored at a very low charge for a considerable time
and it takes a long time to get them charged from that point if they are past saving then DJI should replace them

I´m just afraid to damage my batteries by charging them partially or something, I´m really trying to be extremely careful with them...
And with the original batteries, I tried to charge them individually for 24h and nothing, but my dealer replaced them for me

We use to follow a very strict procedure with the Inspire 1 Pro, using the Phantom Angel to discharge the batteries to around 50% when not in use. However my sense is the its less of an issue with, in my case the M2P. Batteries left fully charged reduce voltage pretty quickly after 1 couple of days. A couple of batteries fully charged two weeks ago are now showing about 70%. I sensed that DJI had smartened up the smart batteries and that they now take care of themselves. Maybe wrong, not sure.

for me its just about only charge them when you intend to fly ,next day is fine and even if you cant fly on that day the,following day would be ok as well
i have my auto discharge setting at three days and only once did i have a battery go into that mode and that was because my flying day was cut short by a change in the weather and i only managed to fly 3 of the 4 batteries

Reactions: WAXMAN
for me its just about only charge them when you intend to fly ,next day is fine and even if you cant fly on that day the,following day would be ok as well
i have my auto discharge setting at three days and only once did i have a battery go into that mode and that was because my flying day was cut short by a change in the weather and i only managed to fly 3 of the 4 batteries

Hi, I was thinking about doing some maintenance on my M2P batteries and was going to take the auto discharge down from 10 to 3 days and couldn’t find where the adjustments were on the Go app.

I read somewhere that DJI had removed the option so didn’t think I had a choice.

I’ve just noticed that you mentioned in your post that you have the auto discharge set to 3 days and I would appreciate it if you could tell me how to do that please.

Many thanks, take care.

Peter

Reactions: old man mavic
Hi, I was thinking about doing some maintenance on my M2P batteries and was going to take the auto discharge down from 10 to 3 days and couldn’t find where the adjustments were on the Go app.

I read somewhere that DJI had removed the option so didn’t think I had a choice.

I’ve just noticed that you mentioned in your post that you have the auto discharge set to 3 days and I would appreciate it if you could tell me how to do that please.

Many thanks, take care.

Peter
hi Peter,sorry i was referring to the MPP i believe the M2P can now go down to 5 days or is set at that since the latest update

Reactions: Peter Hughes
Hi, ok no worries. I thought I was missing something obvious. I guess 5 days isn’t bad.

Thanks for replying., take care.

Peter

I tried to reduce it to 2-3 days too, but the min is 5 days, but well since I´m just flying for fun on these days and I have 3 batteries, I´m just going to charge them to 100% and land when they are around 40-45% and just leave them with that % until the next fly day, if I don´t know if I will fly tomorrow or next month, leave the batteries with 40-45% should be fine right?

Thank you for your responses!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
valter123