DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Batteries? How many???

Pyrate

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Happy Thanksgiving everyone! newbie here, i have a M2P and 1 battery. i am guessing it would be nice to have a second- any real reason to have more??? Seems that you can charge one while your flying. Thoughts????

Reactions: Romulus Archibald
Charging while your flying will only work once: when you fly in your own back yard.
But after that first flight, you want to explore more beautiful surroundings, charging while you're somewhere in the middle of nowhere is not a very useful idea.

Better own spare batteries.

I own 3, this gives me all the freedom I want and also the possibility of charging 1 in my car while out flying with the other 2.

Ruud

makes sense- Thank you! Happy Thanksgiving! I guess your in the netherlands- No Thanksgiving. But here in the USA - we will be eating a lot of Turkey tomorrow!

Reactions: Platinum 4 ever
Happy Thanksgiving everyone! newbie here, i have a M2P and 1 battery. i am guessing it would be nice to have a second- any real reason to have more??? Seems that you can charge one while your flying. Thoughts????
You also want the battery to cool down before recharging it. I typically wait 30 minutes between flights before putting them on the charger. Therefore, I would recommend a third battery as well.

I have 6 batteries and looking to buy another 6, can't have too many. You 100% need to read about Lithium Polymer batteries (Li-Po) as they're more sensitive and REQUIRE a different approach then lithium ion (What your cell/laptop uses). Study up on proper ways to maintain them, proper use (operating temps/etc) and stick with DJI chargers. On a typical fly day I will complete 25-30 flights with each battery being used 2-3 times. Having gel packs / coolers really speeds up the cool down process so you can charge them. Good luck!

I have 4 each for my MM and MA2. I max out at roughly 1.5 to 2 hours of flight per drone out of the bag and/ or can start charging battery #1 while flying #3, #2 can start during flight #4. With the MM anything beyond that and the controller is almost dead so a moot point but with the MA2 I average another 2 flights on the RC before needing to recharge. Having 3+ batteries also allows for pilot error of forgetting to top them off the night before. Just my 2 cents from a ( very)little experience. But $115us+ per battery on the MA2 and another $400 for an infield powerbank isn't for everyone

The fly more combo Mavic Pro had a car charger in it.
It runs of the cigarette socket. But out of safety precautions I let the engine run while charging.

Ruud

Three makes sense to me BUT I rarely use more than one on a stills shoot. I do charge in the car between locations. So Two minimum s my suggestion.

OK another battery question as long as we are talking batteries. I'm a newby with a MA2. When I pack my drone up in the case can I leave a battery in the drone or should I take it out ?
My case has 3 battery holes so thats how many I will probably end up with. (to answer the OPs question)IMG_4431.JPG

Exactly 5 batteries are required. :)

How can you charge one when flying ? Nowhere to plug in a charger when you are away from home.
I would say 3 is a minimum for a day out. I have 5 & can easily get through them, the Smart Controller easily lasts for the 5
Incidentally I want THIS but currently not available ?
This makes second item you posted that I have bought! Available in the states via Amazon.

How can you charge one when flying ? Nowhere to plug in a charger when you are away from home.
I would say 3 is a minimum for a day out. I have 5 & can easily get through them, the Smart Controller easily lasts for the 5
Incidentally I want THIS but currently not available ?
its on ebay. not sure on UK shipping though. just google the name from the amazon listing

I leave mine in the drone with no worries. I would first buy as many batteries as your case will hold. Mine holds a total of three and that is good for fun flying, they give you about an hour. It might even be enough for real estate or commercial real estate depending on what you have to do. If you’re flying an orthophoto or photogrammetry you’ll definitely want more batteries. I always seem to be recharging the three batteries in the truck when I have to make a map.

OK another battery question as long as we are talking batteries. I'm a newby with a MA2. When I pack my drone up in the case can I leave a battery in the drone or should I take it out ?
My case has 3 battery holes so thats how many I will probably end up with. (to answer the OPs question)View attachment 117871
A lot of people will say not to store a battery in the drone and have either data, manufacturers warnings or past experience to back it up and they are not wrong because there is always a chance of swelling or thermal runaway but at the same time when you look at a lot of peoples kits they may have multiple batteries randomly thrown in the bags on top of each other or stored in flame retardant pouches that by definition trap heat inside helping to accelerate runaway but will hopefully contain it long enough to dispose of them before the leak or fire spread because the heat has nowhere to go. In an instance like the case posted above all that foam, usually epdm, buna or rubatex, will definitely trap heat like crazy and doesn't allow for much if any air flow to cool down a battery so having one in the drone really comes down to whether you want to risk it swelling inside and not being able to get it out. I tend to keep a battery in the drone during transport and have occasionally forgotten to take everything out of my bag at the end of the day but don't normally long term store( 2 days or more for me) a battery in the drone or case.

I leave mine in the drone with no worries. I would first buy as many batteries as your case will hold. Mine holds a total of three and that is good for fun flying, they give you about an hour. It might even be enough for real estate or commercial real estate depending on what you have to do. If you’re flying an orthophoto or photogrammetry you’ll definitely want more batteries. I always seem to be recharging the three batteries in the truck when I have to make a map.
Flying a what????

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glenn-S