DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Batteries - Li ion rather than Li Po? Best way to look after them?

Benmavicpilot

Reactions
All the specifications say that the batteries are now Li ion (same as original mini) rather than the Li Po as was in the Mini 2, this correct?

Assuming so, then are the batteries in the Mini 3 more resilient / tolerant of being kept fully charged or should they be kept at a certain range when not being used i.e. 40-60% charged?

Also wonder if anyone with the fly more kit has noticed the multi-charger dropping charge on the batteries after a number of days?

From my battery it states:-

Lithium Ion Polymer Rechargeable Battery
Max Charge Voltage 8.5v
Nominal Voltage 7.38Vdc
Rated Capacity: 2453mSh, 10.10Wh

Li-Ion & LiPo batteries are treated the same ... either of them are more or less resistant to be stored in a too low or too high charge state, both should be placed on nominal cell voltage during storage.

... And a "Lithium Ion Polymer" is a LiPo, not a Li-Ion.

Just about all Lithium batteries in this Consumer Electronics (CE) segment are LiPo; LiOn formulas are typically found in larger formats (like cars). LiPo typically has a bit higher energy density...but is also more prone to over-heating and fire (which require additional attention and care during charging/storage). Having said all that, the maintenance/use for all Lithium battery types are generally the same: don't let sit at low/high SOC (store somewhere ~50%)...don't charge hot (or cold)...etc.

Reactions: globetrotterdrone
A distinct differentiator between LiPo & Li-Ion is the minimum cell voltage ... a LiPo can go down to 3.0V/cell before permanent damage, a Li-Ion can go down to 2.5V/cell.

Furthermore a LiPo can sustain high amp draw without large voltage sag much, much better than a Li-Ion ... this is very apparent in high amp draw applications like race quads. Li-Ion can be used there but they need to be flown very carefully, very much like a fixed wing, LiPo is more suited where quick & high throttle commands are used.

cheers - so battery management is the same as for the mini 2 then, keep them at 40-60% when not being used.
Yep ...

I wonder, if the automatic discharge is freely adjustable right know ...?
I remember with the M2P, it was locked to 10 days with DJI saying, that it is just fine but later got reduced and now can be set to a minimum of 2 days.

With my Mavic Pro batteries, I could set the discharge % and time manually, so after x days, the battery would auto discharge to y%.

I know the DJI Fly app doesn’t have this option, but do the M3P batteries still perform something similar as they are also designated ‘intelligent’?

With my Mavic Pro batteries, I could set the discharge % and time manually, so after x days, the battery would auto discharge to y%.

I know the DJI Fly app doesn’t have this option, but do the M3P batteries still perform something similar as they are also designated ‘intelligent’?
I am pretty sure, they do but as you said, as DJI Fly is relatively dumb compared to DJI Go, there might not be a menu to adjust its pre-set behaviour.

I always forget, that DJI Fly will for the ease of the beginners, neglect some functions we already had in previous software from DJI.

Reactions: rod.carter
... do the M3P batteries still perform something similar as they are also designated ‘intelligent’?
From the user manual ...

1653313423598.png

And most probably the counter resets if the battery button is pressed to check the charge status ... so in practice & by mistake a battery can be on a very high charge state longer than those 9 days.

@slup
Then it's the same standard as the 10 days of previous models, however users have clearly prefefred fewer days in the past, which ultimately, seems not to be adjustable without proper coding in the software.

Last edited:
Reactions: scooot
@slup
Than it's the same standard as the 10 days of previous models, however users have clearly prefefred fewer days in the past, which ultimately, seems not to be adjustable without proper coding in the software.
Yep ... that timing is way too long, personally I never rely on that discharge functionality ... for my photo drone I use the Hanatora charger to place them on storage voltage after use ... & do similar with my quad battery packs, goes to 3.8V directly after use.

My limit for batteries over or under nominal charge is maximum 2 days.

I am pretty sure, they do but as you said, as DJI Fly is relatively dumb compared to DJI Go, there might not be a menu to adjust its pre-set behaviour.

I always forget, that DJI Fly will for the ease of the beginners, neglect some functions we already had in previous software from DJI.
"Ease of the beginners" was the rationalization offered for developing DJI Fly for the Mini, but then that got a little strained when it was also used for the Air 2 and 2S, but it's really hard to understand it on the Mavic 3. Over $2000 for a drone that can't do simple mapping?

@RogerDH
I'm completely with you, not having an advanced mode in this after such a long time and with no support for DJI Go with later models , that goes just beyond my mind. But it's DJI, they never really were eager with software support ...

A YouTuber has pointed out that the PDF guide for the M3P states that the battery chemistry is LiNiMnCoO2, different to what is stated on the actual battery.

Are the batteries really LiNiMnCoO2, or LiPo?

The voltages suggest they are LiIon like the mini 1. Does anyone know what cells are in use? SAMSUNG 18650 25Rs again?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580