DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Batteries slightly swollen after charge

DJIs reply to this that its normal for slight swelling is BS.
Its really not though, there is an inevitable electrode expansion/contraction due to electrochemistry of electrodes itself at nanoscopic level, which I think you're confusing with battery swelling/puffing caused by bad quality/manufacturing.

People need to chill out a bit.

DJIs reply to this that its normal for slight swelling is BS. BOBEC231 is absolutely right. I dont know if DJI is out sourcing there batteries but if so they need to find a better supplier. If DJI is producing there own batteries then the suck at it and its time start out sourcing. In any case DJI supplies the batteries, the charger and the Drone force lands when it determines the battery is low. Basically they force the care of the batteries on themselves and should warrentee the batteries for either a fixed number of charge cycles or time. Personally I found that the batteries on the MAVIC 2 when allowed to discharge on there own dont discharge low enough for a safe storage. DJI deff knows how to make a killer drone but they are big time lacking in the battery department.

They do offer warranty on them for 200 cycles

Reactions: gb160
Its really not though, there is an inevitable electrode expansion/contraction due to electrochemistry of electrodes itself at nanoscopic level, which I think you're confusing with battery swelling/puffing caused by bad quality/manufacturing.

People need to chill out a bit.
i have been flying RC for a living for 10 years. I literally have nearly 1000 lipos in my garage and fly sets of 24 batteries in one aircraft daily. I use high quality 4, 5, and 6s batteries in everything I fly, usually try to buy HRB brand battery as they are a bargain price for an awesome product. Part of my testing is to document the battery performance down to which slot in the planes it was in and how many MAH it took to charge after a flight. I have hundreds of cycles on most of my batteries and have had only 2 go bad in less then 300 cycles. I actually have 8 batteries on a charger now. The batteries should lay flat on the table. DJI has no clue as to how to store a battery. I noticed this the day I purchased my ZOOM and I dont use there charger nor do I let the batteries use there smart function to discharge. I use an after market charger and all batteries are stored at 3.82 V per cell , not 3.87 that DJI stores them at. All of my DJI batteries are in like new condition after 5 months and tons of cycles.

• Haha
Reactions: gb160
They do offer warranty on them for 200 cycles
well thats good to know but if when you tell them your battery is slightly puffed and they tell you "Its Normal" then they may as well warentee them for 1000 cycles. Since there not acknowledging the problem anyway.

i have been flying RC for a living for 10 years. I literally have nearly 1000 lipos in my garage and fly sets of 24 batteries in one aircraft daily. I use high quality 4, 5, and 6s batteries in everything I fly, usually try to buy HRB brand battery as they are a bargain price for an awesome product. Part of my testing is to document the battery performance down to which slot in the planes it was in and how many MAH it took to charge after a flight. I have hundreds of cycles on most of my batteries and have had only 2 go bad in less then 300 cycles. I actually have 8 batteries on a charger now. The batteries should lay flat on the table. DJI has no clue as to how to store a battery. I noticed this the day I purchased my ZOOM and I dont use there charger nor do I let the batteries use there smart function to discharge. I use an after market charger and all batteries are stored at 3.82 V per cell , not 3.87 that DJI stores them at. All of my DJI batteries are in like new condition after 5 months and tons of cycles.
That’s all lovely, however completely irrelevant.

well thats good to know but if when you tell them your battery is slightly puffed and they tell you "Its Normal" then they may as well warentee them for 1000 cycles. Since there not acknowledging the problem anyway.

They are not permanently “puffed”, they seem to do this immediately after charge and then recover. It seems to be a different situation than damaged batteries that get swollen and start that way

That’s all lovely, however completely irrelevant.
well i dont know what you think is incased that $130.00 pretty shell but its a $35.00 LIPO. so its all relevant. They should not swell, puff, grow, shrink permanently or temporarily at any time. And 3.82V is where all lipos should be stored at. The OP states his battery doesnt sit flat on a table after charging........Uh, that a problem!

well i dont know what you think is incased that $130.00 pretty shell but its a $35.00 LIPO. so its all relevant. They should not swell, puff, grow, shrink permanently or temporarily at any time. And 3.82V is where all lipos should be stored at. The OP states his battery doesnt sit flat on a table after charging........Uh, that a problem!
Maybe you should call DJI and let them know what they’re doing wrong.

Maybe you should call DJI and let them know what they’re doing wrong.
after all the problems they've had with mavic 2 batteries they are well aware. They are also well aware of the tolerance of the DJI following who will blindly except and continue to purchase replacement batteries. At $115.00 a piece for Air2 batteries they are a cash cow for DJI so from there standpoint its good business practice.

after all the problems they've had with mavic 2 batteries they are well aware. They are also well aware of the tolerance of the DJI following who will blindly except and continue to purchase replacement batteries. At $115.00 a piece for Air2 batteries they are a cash cow for DJI so from there standpoint its good business practice.
Mate im not sure what you are arguing...any batteries that fail will be covered by warranty at this point, no-one is buying new batteries unless they want spares.

Hi All,
Having concerns with my batteries.
Please commit your thoughts on the shape of my batteries in attachment.

Hi All,
Having concerns with my batteries.
Please commit your thoughts on the shape of my batteries in attachment.
Yup! Those are swollen! Make sure to secure them tightly to the aircraft with velcro straps, until you can replace them, as they will swell further during use from the heat, and pop loose, leading to a loss of power, and a crash!

Yup! Those are swollen! Make sure to secure them tightly to the aircraft with velcro straps, until you can replace them, as they will swell further during use from the heat, and pop loose, leading to a loss of power, and a crash!
I’ve been MIA for a bit and couldn’t fly.
I did return all 3 batteries to DJI. They were very helpful and the process was simple. Thumbs up to DJI.

I got to fly all 3 new batteries yesterday and this morning. Went to my park around the corner that is my practice spot. I walk there for the exercise and to fly. I know the terrain there well and fly there too keep my skills sharp.

Having been down for the past 3 months I’m a little rusty. What I did notice is that the 3 new batteries are very “zippy, responsive, quick “ compared to the old batteries.
This has changed my Air 2 (Mohawk). All 3 flying modes, quick! Have checked all my settings. Tinkered with them all and got them set for my type of flying/filming.

Anyone experience this phenomenon when replacing batteries?

Reactions: GadgetGuy

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaxRichu