DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Batteries warm when not being used

Digi_t

Reactions
I noticed that the two batteries not in the drone that I was storing in my fly more combo bag were really warm when i took them out this morning. Both had been fully charged about a week ago and been stored in the bag since. Anyone else noticed this? The battery in the MA2 was cool, again it has been stored in the drone for about a week.

I would imagine the inteligent dishcharge function had just done it's job. The batteries discharge themselves to around 60% if left fully charge for 5 or so days.

Reactions: dawgpilot
Should have added, this function stops the batteries from becoming damaged. Lipo's can swell up and catch fire if left fully charged.

I noticed that the two batteries not in the drone that I was storing in my fly more combo bag were really warm when i took them out this morning. Both had been fully charged about a week ago and been stored in the bag since. Anyone else noticed this? The battery in the MA2 was cool, again it has been stored in the drone for about a week.
Have you by any chance read the Mavic Air 2 User Manual? Always a good idea to know everything about your drone that is outlined there. In this case, please refer to page 25, Battery Features, Item 2.

It's actually bad for the battery to be stored fully charged for a long time.
Which is exactly why they are programmed to self discharge.

I never in my 3 years of flying have stored my batteries fully charged, always run them out to 20% charge left in the battery. Have 3 batteries charged if its going to be a long flight. Battery's are very important to know about for long life. mine still doing good, still have the same three battery's. even if I fly for 20 minutes, I rotate battery's have them marked 1, 2, 3, so each one gets used.
Good to check about proper care and feeding . Rules to follow. I have 13 reminders about caring for battery's. One of them is never store them fully charged. If you don't take proper care of them, life of the battery can be reduced by 50%. I don't know about you but I can't afford replacing batterys
which cost up to $80.00 or more for one. Also, the safety aspect, about battery failure when its flying, checking cell voltage. Pilots have had battery's swell while flying and fall out of the sky.

I never in my 3 years of flying have stored my batteries fully charged, always run them out to 20% charge left in the battery. Have 3 batteries charged if its going to be a long flight. Battery's are very important to know about for long life. mine still doing good, still have the same three battery's. even if I fly for 20 minutes, I rotate battery's have them marked 1, 2, 3, so each one gets used.
Good to check about proper care and feeding . Rules to follow. I have 13 reminders about caring for battery's. One of them is never store them fully charged. If you don't take proper care of them, life of the battery can be reduced by 50%. I don't know about you but I can't afford replacing batterys
which cost up to $80.00 or more for one. Also, the safety aspect, about battery failure when its flying, checking cell voltage. Pilots have had battery's swell while flying and fall out of the sky.
Your point about never storing batteries fully charged is true with the small additional language of "for extended periods of time".

At some point we all need to store a fully charged battery for some short period of time. It could be the time required to get from home to wherever you are charging. It could be overnight for an early morning flight. It could be today in preparation for a break in the weather over the next 2 days or so. What is the cutoff point for it being too long? There's no definite number but it is true that it is better for the batteries to not be stored at full capacity.

Then there is the case of spoiled plans. You charge up all your batteries for a day of flying but then the weather goes bad, there is an emergency at work, unexpected guests show up, a TFR pops up (here in the USA), or a million other reasons. In these cases, you have no choice but to store the batteries and that is where the automatic discharge helps us all out.

I generally use the batteries after charging within a few days, I only started this thread as I was surprised that the two I had not used were very warm which was a lesson not to store them in the bag . Is there a way to discharge them if I know I’m not going to use them?

I generally use the batteries after charging within a few days, I only started this thread as I was surprised that the two I had not used were very warm which was a lesson not to store them in the bag . Is there a way to discharge them if I know I’m not going to use them?
Use the power bank adapter to charge your phone or tablet

Your point about never storing batteries fully charged is true with the small additional language of "for extended periods of time".

At some point we all need to store a fully charged battery for some short period of time. It could be the time required to get from home to wherever you are charging. It could be overnight for an early morning flight. It could be today in preparation for a break in the weather over the next 2 days or so. What is the cutoff point for it being too long? There's no definite number but it is true that it is better for the batteries to not be stored at full capacity.

Then there is the case of spoiled plans. You charge up all your batteries for a day of flying but then the weather goes bad, there is an emergency at work, unexpected guests show up, a TFR pops up (here in the USA), or a million other reasons. In these cases, you have no choice but to store the batteries and that is where the automatic discharge helps us all out.
Can not disagree, all valid points, forgot to mention them. I am 74, and have not had any of those situations. Thank You

I have not flown my drone for over a week and today I went to check the batt charges and 1 in the drone was warm and so was another. The 3rd one was fine, so I had to charge them both up to full cap in about 30 minutes

I have not flown my drone for over a week and today I went to check the batt charges and 1 in the drone was warm and so was another. The 3rd one was fine, so I had to charge them both up to full cap in about 30 minutes
Not sure what your point is

Why are the batteries discharging and warming up when not in use?
It is done to:
  • keep the batteries in optimal health.
  • prevent any mishaps due to swelling and potential fire/explosion.

Reactions: MavicAir2Hal
My point is. Why are the batteries discharging and warming up when not in use? Nothing else I have with batteries or battery storage devices does that.

It's explained in the user manual for the drone. The batteries self discharge to 96% after 1 day, and to 60% after 5 days to keep them healthy. This discharge process emits heat (because where else could the energy go?).

It's explained in the user manual for the drone. The batteries self discharge to 96% after 1 day, and to 60% after 5 days to keep them healthy. This discharge process emits heat (because where else could the energy go?).
Good to know! Probably helps maintain a good battery life

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bullet_magnet