DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Battery Charging

jpedersm

Reactions
Do you guys run your batteries to a certain percentage before charging them. For example if I go out real quick and do a 10 minute flight and have 60 percent battery left would you guys charge the battery when you get back or leave it uncharged until it gets to a certain value?

Reactions: Skyler
I would leave it at 60% until you are going to use it again. Then charge it back to 100% before using. It's best to store LiPo's at 50-60% charge to extend the life of the battery. Now if you're going to use it in the next day or two charge it back to 100%. If you plan to use it to check your bird in the house or adjust settings then I would leave it where it is and drain it down further. I hope this helps.

Reactions: fiftiesnut
So with running the battery down to 20 to 30 percent and charging it the next day bad or will that still be alright? Also what if I am over 60 percent around 70 or so should I drain the battery to 60 or just leave at 70?

In the app you can adjust the self-discharge feature which by default starts at ten days.
There isn't much point running a battery down in the Mavic but it won't hurt.
Beware of running them low in a long flight, and forgetting to charge at least partially soon afterwards.
The battery can't charge itself up to optimum but it can discharge down to that level.

In the app you can adjust the self-discharge feature which by default starts at ten days.
There isn't much point running a battery down in the Mavic but it won't hurt.
Beware of running them low in a long flight, and forgetting to charge at least partially soon afterwards.
The battery can't charge itself up to optimum but it can discharge down to that level.

What are you considering low? I got the Mavic 2 weeks ago and have been flying every to every other day and charging that night or the next morning. I got it set up to notify me when it hits 30 percent. I then bring the copter home. Usually it lands around 20 -30 percent left.

Ok, what do you guys recommend while flying a large area. Is it fine to shut the drone off at say 80 percent walk or drive to a different place fly to 60 percent shut it down again and then go to another place and bring it down 30 percent. ( I only have 1 battery.)

Ok, what do you guys recommend while flying a large area. Is it fine to shut the drone off at say 80 percent walk or drive to a different place fly to 60 percent shut it down again and then go to another place and bring it down 30 percent. ( I only have 1 battery.)

Yes, perfectly fine, just be cautious on distance and any wind on last flight.

I just fly whatever batteries I want down to a reasonable level, pack away, then charge again night before going out.
PITA for impromptu flying, but you can charge up one battery pretty quick and one on the 12v whilst travelling to a place.

Set my batteries to discharge at 5 days, usually takes them down to 2 bars.

What is the reason for Discharging? Correct me if I am wrong I'm guessing it is if I'm going to store the battery's for some time they don't want a full charge on them. If I fly the mavic every day or every other day is it worth discharging?

What is the reason for Discharging? Correct me if I am wrong I'm guessing it is if I'm going to store the battery's for some time they don't want a full charge on them. If I fly the mavic every day or every other day is it worth discharging?

Reason for discharging is that LiPo batteries don't like to be stored for a longer period of time when fully charged. Neither do they like to be fully discharged for a longer period. It will impact the performance in the long term.
When flying the Mavic every day or every other day, I wouldn't worry that much about the voltages, unless you flew to 10%, then I would charge it to storage voltage before leaving it.
I made a habit of charging the batteries back up to about 50% as soon as I get back (let them cool down first). Brings them to storage voltage and the next time charging is much shorter (around 45 minutes). Storage voltages are around 3.85v per cell. When charging, disconnect the battery when the first two LED's are solid and the third one is flashing. This is storage voltage, at least for me...

I think the original question was not really answered. I'll rephrase it since I am here with the same question: If I go fly 5 or 10 minutes for a quick look at something on my property and have 60, 80 or even 90 percent left, can I routinely "top it off" and charge it again before going lower or is it recommended to just keep using it till it goes down to need a full recharge again? With this new portability I think I'll find myself wanting to do short quick flights. But when I want to do a long one I want a fully charged battery. Your thoughts? Thanks.

Do you guys run your batteries to a certain percentage before charging them. For example if I go out real quick and do a 10 minute flight and have 60 percent battery left would you guys charge the battery when you get back or leave it uncharged until it gets to a certain value?
I rephrased and repeated the question. Am I on track for what you were thinking?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Surprise