DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Battery Deep Discharge - Slightly Different Question

Can I rescue this battery with one of the processes described in this thread?
How old is this battery? Any idea how long it was sitting unused before you last charged it?

The battery is 3 years old, 6 of 2016. It sat for 3 months or so before I used it again. I charged it and flew with it. Then on the recharge it flashed the indicator light. Not right away but after some time.

Then on the recharge it flashed the indicator light. Not right away but after some time.
Can you explain in more detail what you see when you attempt to charge the battery? Or post a video if that's easier than explaining.

Is there more to this sentence fragment?

Do you really need me to spell it out for you?

Ok, here goes. Please see the manufacturers manual and understand what the recommended maintenance is for proper up keep. If it is required, it would be clearly listed.

Other facts to consider:
1. dji does not sell a charger that deep cycles.

2. The manual is void of information on deep cycling

3. There has never been a documented case where a dji battery has failed due to lack of deep cycling.

So since that wasn't my original question, did you have any thoughts on the question I actually DID ask?

And thanks for the attitude. My bad for not figuring out what you were saying by your poorly worded half sentence. Nice way to introduce yourself to the forum.

Can you explain in more detail what you see when you attempt to charge the battery? Or post a video if that's easier than explaining.
Sorry about the delay, here are two pictures and a short video. The battery will charge and will report an error when connected to the aircraft and controller with a single cell blinking light at the end of the charge cycle.
Thank you all again for your consideration and thoughts about this issue.

Attachments

• 9B5ECBAD-CD13-4BB1-AB14-23C84325D179.jpeg
    9B5ECBAD-CD13-4BB1-AB14-23C84325D179.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 20
  • 508CBB2C-89AA-459F-9802-BC42A5CD7C09.jpeg
    508CBB2C-89AA-459F-9802-BC42A5CD7C09.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Sorry about the delay, here are two pictures and a short video. The battery will charge and will report an error when connected to the aircraft and controller with a single cell blinking light at the end of the charge cycle.
Thank you all again for your consideration and thoughts about this issue.
Video?

Sorry, I am unable to upload the video file as it is not a permitted file type (*.mov), extension. I didn’t realize it failed to upload.
The video shows the second light from the top, closest to the activation button, flashing 2 times then off for about 2 seconds. This pattern of 2 flashes on and two seconds off repeats until I remove the battery from the charger.
When in the aircraft and connected to the remote and iPad mini the remote displays the battery error message.

NO MATTER WHAT THE ELECTRONICS ARE DOING FOR YOU BATTERIES!
Deep discharge is not good for LiPo batteries! The leak path holes are established in the dielectric paste during any deep discharge, overcharging, and during max charge level standing time.
Use the 80-20 rule for b st life of the cell.
Store at about 80 percent, avoid discharge below 20 percent. Keep battery peak temps as low as possible for best life and capacity, long term.

NO MATTER WHAT THE ELECTRONICS ARE DOING FOR YOU BATTERIES!
Deep discharge is not good for LiPo batteries! The leak path holes are established in the dielectric paste during any deep discharge, overcharging, and during max charge level standing time.
Use the 80-20 rule for b st life of the cell.
Store at about 80 percent, avoid discharge below 20 percent. Keep battery peak temps as low as possible for best life and capacity, long term.

Thanks for the input, but that's not the question I asked. Everybody seems eager to answer the question I didn't ask. I wanted more clarity on the monitoring and calibration electronics, not battery chemistry.

LP

Reactions: Thomas B
My "opinion", which is actually well established fact by labs and scientists, is don't do it. LiPo batteries do not suffer from the memory effect that NiCad batteries are susceptible to. Bringing a LiPo battery down to a very low voltage can and will damage it. So you are getting zero benefit from a deep discharge and are in fact potentially causing harm to the cells.

You mentioned both re-calibrate and re-balance as reasons for doing so. Due to no memory effect there is no need to re-calibrate. Balancing is done by the circuitry inside the battery each time you charge the battery. Once a cell starts to vary significantly in voltage from the other cells, it's time to throw away that battery.
I agree with PhantomFandom. Lithium batts are much different than all others. You fully discharge and you will kill the cells. As a professional videographer I use lithium’s exclusively. I have the option of lowering the battery threshold on the camera to get more run time but even then, the camera knows it’s being powered by lithium’s and will not function below a 11+v threshold. The real issue with that is, there is no warning when battery is depleted. It just stops. No ramping down. No warning.
Still getting used to Mavic batteries but past experience has taught me to heed low batt warning and not push beyond. Not sure MavicPro even allows going beyond the internal Voltage threshold.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucian