DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Battery depleted to 0% - damaged?

Reactions
Yesterday we went for a couple of flights. During the last flight we totally underestimated the time it would take us to fly back given the distance (I was assuming 25% would cut it)

At about 5% I knew it was done, the AC simply started landing... into the river (I still had 500 meters to go left). So I fighted it and the remaining flight time kept shrinking... to zero. Still, I had about 120 meters before I could land it on a safe and reachable place. But amazingly - be it increasingly less responsive - I kept it in the air until I eventually (remember: I had 0 battery for a minute or so already) and I was preparing for it fall out of the sky. Amazingly it showed up about 100 meters further above the road. I rushed to it and picked it out of the air - but boy was it scary.

Based on the noise it made it was clear there was not much juice left. Remember - I even (had) to fly a while after it reached 0%.

What is the best to do now? I know it is bad for LiPo batteries to deplete completely and they will get damage - but how bad is it? Is it a risk for a fire hazard? I might add that I charged the battery as soon as I got home. Maybe not the best thing to do now I come to think of it.

I would like to have your advice.

BTW: Is there a way to have any information which battery it was? I should have marked it. Maybe the flight log can reveal the serial number?

Reactions: hiflyer201
The battery should be fine, it would have a battery protection circuit to prevent over discharge and when that kicks in it just falls from the sky. Your flight log would have the battery serial#, you can use the Airdata app to find it and much more information on the battery and flight.

Cheers!

BTW: Is there a way to have any information which battery it was? I should have marked it. Maybe the flight log can reveal the serial number?
Find it easily with Airdata. You might need the first level past free but it's still a bargain price.

Welcome to the forum from the land of Oz. Sounds like a knuckle biting situation, hope it works out with the battery.
Regards

Yesterday we went for a couple of flights. During the last flight we totally underestimated the time it would take us to fly back given the distance (I was assuming 25% would cut it)

At about 5% I knew it was done, the AC simply started landing... into the river (I still had 500 meters to go left). So I fighted it and the remaining flight time kept shrinking... to zero. Still, I had about 120 meters before I could land it on a safe and reachable place. But amazingly - be it increasingly less responsive - I kept it in the air until I eventually (remember: I had 0 battery for a minute or so already) and I was preparing for it fall out of the sky. Amazingly it showed up about 100 meters further above the road. I rushed to it and picked it out of the air - but boy was it scary.

Based on the noise it made it was clear there was not much juice left. Remember - I even (had) to fly a while after it reached 0%.

What is the best to do now? I know it is bad for LiPo batteries to deplete completely and they will get damage - but how bad is it? Is it a risk for a fire hazard? I might add that I charged the battery as soon as I got home. Maybe not the best thing to do now I come to think of it.

I had a similar occurrence while doing a search with a Mavic Enterprise Dual. Encountered gusty winds on the return flight and landed with zero percent battery while fighting the critical battery landing mode on the way back. Charged the battery and kept an eye on it on Airdata during subsequent flights, the first several of which were not over water, or anything hazardous. While discharging batteries to that level is not good, the battery recovered (it has been over a year) and has been as reliable and trouble-free as the several others in use.

I just did the same thing. Ended up having to land 2.5 blocks away on the side of a road. After letting the battery cool and charge everything seems to be working fine.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pleopard