DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Battery died in mid flight - recovered Mavic Pro 2 miles away....

earlyretirement

Reactions
I'm amazed at how well the GPS system works on the DJI 4 App. I was camping with my daughter at Lansing Ranch in Boulevard, California which is right near the Mexican border. Amazing place to fly as there is no interference at all and you can fly about 4 miles away.

It was crazy windy but the Mavic Pro was a champ. I made this video over the weekend and you can look at parts of the video where I am over the tents to see just how windy it is. Even looking over the lake you can see the wind blowing the water.

Anyway, at the end of the video you can see that my battery died. I made the rookie mistake of flying it too far in the wind. I made it the previous day flying 3.5 miles away with no problems. But the next day the wind was much stronger.

I turned the Mavic Pro around at 69% but I knew it would have problems because the wind picked up and I was barely going 7 MPH and I was pushing up all the way. Fortunately I made it over the mountains and I was easily able to retrieve it. There just happened to be a small dirt road that I could drive on.

I opened up the DJI 4 App and looked at the last known GPS coordinates. I plugged it into Apple Maps and I was shocked that it was exactly where it said it would be. What shocked me even more was I thought I read that the obstacle avoidance system is deactivated when it's landing but if you look at the video you can see it was working hard to avoid all the rocks and plants below. It safely landed on a flat surface.

Glad you had a good experience and were able to recover your bird. I have seen so many though that have lost theirs because they don't pay attention to or just completely ignore their battery consumption.

Glad you had a good experience and were able to recover your bird. I have seen so many though that have lost theirs because they don't pay attention to or just completely ignore their battery consumption.

Oh yeah I'm glad too. I wasn't ignoring it and keeping a close watch on the battery but the wind picked up tremendously. That's one thing I think that people really have to keep in mind in really windy areas.

And did you lower your altitude...that helps a little but I’m glad you found Your Eye [emoji872] in the Sky [emoji292]

Did you use sport mode on your way back?

Yes, I had it in Sport Mode but the wind was so strong it literally wouldn't go faster than 7 MPH.

And did you lower your altitude...that helps a little but I’m glad you found Your Eye [emoji872] in the Sky [emoji292]

Yes, I did come lower but I had to be careful as there were a lot of mountains around there as well. But I did lower it but the wind was really strong even on the ground. If you watch the video you can see the tents blowing in the wind.

I was stupid for going so far out. I did it the day before and didn't have any problems but it wasn't as windy. Plus the wind picked up as I was out so it was just bad luck. But fortunately the GPS coordinates are so accurate on the software. I honestly didn't think I would find it safely landed with so many rocks and plants there.

Yea I saw the tents [emoji554]️ and try and fly up wind to fly back with a tail wind..that will take care of that[emoji106][emoji106][emoji16]

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929