Get more from your Mavic
The largest Mavic community in the world
Join Us Now

Battery died in the air...

hiflyer201

Premium Pilot
Reactions
After an Air 1 battery failure in flight, I went back over the history of that battery with Airdata information, and I really don't think I could have seen it coming. The battery is not swollen, charges normally and all the cells show normal. I have flown it several times after that incident at low altitudes in my back yard as a test. It fails every time in very short order because of a low cell.

snowghost

Reactions
After an Air 1 battery failure in flight, I went back over the history of that battery with Airdata information, and I really don't think I could have seen it coming. The battery is not swollen, charges normally and all the cells show normal. I have flown it several times after that incident at low altitudes in my back yard as a test. It fails every time in very short order because of a low cell.
How many charges on it? I read somewhere on the forums that DJI batteries are rated for 200 cycles.

hiflyer201

Premium Pilot
Reactions
How many charges on it? I
I could check, I think it was about 130. The other two batteries that I received with the original purchase died of advanced swelling and my fear to use them. I purchased one new battery and I have been very careful not leave it in my car and to cool it completely before charging. I'm hoping it lasts.

Reactions: snowghost

Gimbal2019

Reactions
I understand that Dji Mavic Air 1 batteries self discharge and the lights change from 4 illuminated to one on steady and a second light flashing. Other pilots have recommended to recharge the batteries before flying if the batteries go unused for a few days(before self discharge feature takes effect). I have found my charger will not top up my batteries if the battery shows 4 lights. My self discharge feature starts after 10 days of no flying so if I want to go fly on day 9 the charger will not top up the battery if 4 lights show.
My question is how do those pilots recharge their batteries if they have been idle for awhile but not long enough to start self discharging?
I don't think I have noticed any difference between a freshly charged battery and one that has been sitting for 8-9 days.
Here's wishing you all a VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS!! - with lots of flight time - LOL

Kilrah

Solutions
Reactions
My question is how do those pilots recharge their batteries if they have been idle for awhile but not long enough to start self discharging?
No, as you can see you can't since they're already full.
It's if they self discharged already that you want to recharge them.

davidk_ro

Reactions
Hi. BMS judgeb he state of charge based on:
Peak voltage on each cell while charging
Coulomb counter: how many amp-hour goes in and out the battery while charging/discharging

But when the battery is old some cells develop increased internal resistance. While flying, because of this, the battery voltage (or a cell voltage) may appear lower. If this internal resistange is too high the voltage may go unacceptably low and BMS thinks the battery is depleted.

tribar

Reactions

DJI Smart Battery - How It Works & Best Practices - Mavic & All Models Everything You Need To Know:​

DavidBlezard

Reactions
Yes I'm familiar with the "self discharge". My question is about the indicator lights on the top of the battery. Don't the lights on the top of the battery show if the battery is fully charged? If all 4 lights are on, can the battery still be at 40%???
I’m sure it is possible, my batteries always show 2 solid and the 3rd flashing after they have been sitting around. Also, unless you are flying in the next day or 2, don’t put your batteries on the charger when you back home. It just wastes cycles.

sequel

Reactions
To give information about the use of drone battery. How should we store the battery? What should be considered about the charger? How to turn on the battery that is not charging? The aim is to give general information about the drone. Unfortunately, YouTube translate doesn't work very well. with translation. There are not many people in our country who know these things. I took the video to inform.

Closing Cells / Not Opening Cells / Non-Charging Cells, How To Repair

mlaney

Reactions
My Mavic Air just ran into the same issue, sadly crashed, gimble smashed and some broken propellers. 4 lights recently changed, made it a flight time of 1:30 before voltage alerts all over the place, immediately headed home and dropped like a rock, end of flight battery still showed 80+%. The other battery I had, had swollen and deformed that it would no longer fit safely in the Drone. I know these things happen but it really makes ya think about your next purchase if your 800+ $$ drone cant make it 2.5-3 years with limited use. Cant find the old batteries for any reasonable price, so just kept using the remaining one, was only get 10 minutes of flight time at best near the end

argp74

Reactions
I had the same problem and almost near to loose the drone into the sea (MAir1). 2 of the 3 batteries died the same day. After that i search more about to find out what happened and i realise that you have always check the batteries before you fly away. The post from "JoeIP" describes the procedure very well. Also use "AIrdata" app to analyse flying data.
So i tried to find new batteries but everywhere was out of stock. I was contacted with DJI Europe Support and the send me new batteries at 79€ each one.
If you looking for batteries contact DJI Support.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
richardstefans