DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Battery discharge

moparherb

Reactions
Since the new update to my Mini 2 I have been waiting for the batteries to start the discharge process while in the charging hub. Nothing yet. It’s been three days and they still show 4 lights. Someone on some forum or YT mentioned that the process of checking the battery level by pushing the button on the side of the hub started the discharge process all over again. Is this true? To me that does not seem right. How are you going to know if they are discharging if you don’t push the button? Any advise appreciated.

• Love
Reactions: Grazuncle
Since the new update to my Mini 2 I have been waiting for the batteries to start the discharge process while in the charging hub. Nothing yet. It’s been three days and they still show 4 lights. Someone on some forum or YT mentioned that the process of checking the battery level by pushing the button on the side of the hub started the discharge process all over again. Is this true? To me that does not seem right. How are you going to know if they are discharging if you don’t push the button? Any advise appreciated.
As from what I´ve red (forget where) the discharge starts to 90% within a day or two but down to "storage" level takes a week. Pushing the button is just a "levelcheck". Correct me if I'm wrong.

@moparherb when it comes to the batteries for the bigger mavics which have a power button on each individual battery ,then yes pressing the button to check the state of remaining charge does indeed reset the counter for discharge to start but you will need to ask DJI if that applies to the mini 2

The 3 pack battery charger also acts as a battery pack that you can use to charge a phone or whatever. That is the reason for the USB port on the 3 Pack. Once you connect a phone by USB, PUSHING the button starts the charging function to the phone.

Seems like only way to discharge batteries is to exercise them by hovering for a while...and although the original advertising said to leave the batteries in the charger to store them...it was discovered that, as Lithium Polymer batteries, being left in the charger caused premature failure of the batteries...I don't know if that problem was overcome in the last firmware updates

Seems like only way to discharge batteries is to exercise them by hovering for a while...and although the original advertising said to leave the batteries in the charger to store them...it was discovered that, as Lithium Polymer batteries, being left in the charger caused premature failure of the batteries...I don't know if that problem was overcome in the last firmware updates
Pls read the v1.4 manual page 21 and you will see how the discharge function works after nine days. I works great for me with the batteries in the hub.

It looks like 01, May this year that it came out...so you know for sure that an update came out that corrected that?
I see that you are in Sweden....I understand that you have a beautiful country ( and some terrific Hockey players)...would love to see some pictures and videos of it

Last edited:
I just tested the battery discharge feature using the newest firmware, after leaving 2 batteries for 7 days, one in the charger and one on the desk, neither one has discharged.

DJI's own forum mods say
"The DJI Mini 2 has an Auto-Discharging Function to prevent swelling. The battery automatically discharges to approximately 96% of the battery level when it is idle for one day, and automatically discharges to approximately 72% of the battery level when it is idle for five days"

One of the batteries was at 96% and the other at 92%.

So obviously the update didn’t help solve the issue. Taking them out of the hub may be the only answer…..

Try the "Guardian Angel". It's a system used specifically to cycle the batteries and bring them to storage. I'm using it on my Air2S batteries.

...after leaving 2 batteries for 7 days, one in the charger and one on the desk, neither one has discharged.

DJI's own forum mods say
...approximately 72% of the battery level when it is idle for five days"

One of the batteries was at 96% and the other at 92%.
It's pretty clearly stated in the manual rev. June-2021 that 9 days is needed for the batteries to be discharged to approx 72% ...

1624451354395.png

Reactions: fgurnee01 and pme
So obviously the update didn’t help solve the issue. Taking them out of the hub may be the only answer…..

i did take one out of the hub made no difference

It's pretty clearly stated in the manual rev. June-2021 that 9 days is needed for the batteries to be discharged to approx 72% ...

View attachment 131098

Seems a long time, considering you can set the MP batteries to discharge after any amount of time from 1 day to 10.

I’ll leave them for a few more days then to see if they do discharge further, assuming that putting them in the quad hasn’t restarted the timer

@moparherb when it comes to the batteries for the bigger mavics which have a power button on each individual battery ,then yes pressing the button to check the state of remaining charge does indeed reset the counter for discharge to start but you will need to ask DJI if that applies to the mini 2
Slightly different topic l know and apologies for it but can anyone tell me where l can get a waterproof jacket to allow me to fly my Air 2S in slight rain/shower. Thanks in advance

Slightly different topic l know and apologies for it but can anyone tell me where l can get a waterproof jacket to allow me to fly my Air 2S in slight rain/shower. Thanks in advance

Reactions: Exphantomflyer
Yep ... but that is what the manual say. My MA1 have a fixed 10 days, way too long for a LiPo to be outside storage voltage. I never have any of my batteries (for my photo drones or quads) outside storage voltage longer than 48h.

yeah I can’t blame you but these things need to be tested so it’s looking like a partial discharge recharge and let 9 days pass and see if anything changes

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661