DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Battery discharge

Max Headroom

Reactions
3. Keep your Batteries at 60% as much as possible NEVER charge to 100% and put them away! No matter who tells you different!

I read the quote above in another forum here but didn't want to take it off topic as it was not about the DJI Mini 2 SE, DJI Mini 2 or DJI Mini SE batteries.

I charged my 3 batteries on Friday as i was supposed to fly on Saturday this didn't happen am i ok to leave them as it says below they will drop to 96% of the battery level when idle for one day and to prevent swelling the battery automatically discharges to 72% of the battery level when idle for nine days.

DJI Info -

DJI Mini 2 SE, DJI Mini 2 or DJI Mini SE Intelligent Flight Battery is a 7.7 V, 2250 mAh battery with the auto-discharging function. However, it does not support setting the starting time of auto-discharging.

Battery auto-discharging function (controlled self-discharge when the battery is let idle independently): The battery automatically discharges to about 96% of the battery level when it is idle for one day. To prevent swelling, the battery automatically discharges to 72% of the battery level when it is idle for nine days. (Note: It is normal to feel moderate heat being emitted from the battery during the process.)

For example, The battery automatically discharges to about 96% of the battery level when it is idle for one day, which takes about four hours, and automatically discharges to about 72% of the battery level when it is idle for nine days.

1726427246355.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Cafguy
Yes, no problem. Quoted post is completely wrong for DJI batteries.
Thanks, the thread is below -

This is how I belive I have gotten the number of cycles out of my Batteries that I have. I myself do not think the BMS does its job efficiently Some do. Everyone is different and has their set ideas. Like my grandpa used to tell me.." if everyone was the same... The whole world would hate grandma".
In my experience The biggest cause for killing DJI batteries is Charging them fully and storing them SO I keep mine at 60%.... try it if you like I.M.O. you will like the result.
Having said this I have NO idea about the Batteries with any new BMS maybe they are more efficient I will probably just keep doin it this way lol :D

In my experience The biggest cause for killing DJI batteries is Charging them fully and storing them SO I keep mine at 60%.... try it if you like I.M.O. you will like the result.

I would not fully charge intentionally before storing this i hope was a one off and i will follow your method when i can.

Having said this I have NO idea about the Batteries with any new BMS maybe they are more efficient
DJI batteries have been discharging themselves to the ideal storage level after a few days since 2015. Nothing new or different from doing it yourself.

My 2 cents probaly worth half a cent, you pay a hell or a lot for the self discharging batteries... I leave mine charged to fly and let it trickle them if I don't.... I have gotten a hell or a lot of flights out of my stuff and probably fly 5 times a week on at least one.

Reactions: Max Headroom
This is how I belive I have gotten the number of cycles out of my Batteries that I have. I myself do not think the BMS does its job efficiently Some do. Everyone is different and has their set ideas. Like my grandpa used to tell me.." if everyone was the same... The whole world would hate grandma".
Having said this I have NO idea about the Batteries with any new BMS maybe they are more efficient I will probably just keep doin it this way lol :D
So, how do you discharge your batteries to 60%

So, how do you discharge your batteries to 60%
Use the USB adapter to charge your phone, tablet, etc. until the 3rd light starts blinking (about 62.5%). I do this about every 4 to 5 weeks if I haven't been using them to fly. I've been doing this since the original Mavic Pro in 2016 with all my drone batteries and even my DJI Goggles (2017). All my batteries have stayed in good shape. The oldest ones are 8 years old now.

I hardly fly at all any more with so many locations banning drones. Letting a battery sit for months on end, even if left at 60%. IMO this is how I bricked my old Mavic Air 1 batteries. Now I charge my M3 batteries at least once every couple of months and let them self discharge. I don’t worry about the total cycles since I do not fly that much near where I live.

If my battery is lower than 60% after flying I fully charge (after it has cooled) before storing and let the BMS do it's thing, Batteries above 60% I store as is. Never lost a battery yet in any model.

Reactions: Max Headroom
The biggest impacts on reducing capacity, and useful cycle count, in order of most damaging to least:
  • Normal use.
  • Fully discharging (BMS will protect against overdischarging), and storing in this state*
  • Storing in fully-charged state long-term (weeks to months)**
  • Ignoring a battery that starts at storage level for years.
*All batteries internally "leak" leading to a gradual loss of charge, and gradual voltage drop. Leaving a battery fully discharged will eventually result in the cells dropping below 3V, which can result in serious damage to the cell. DJI Intelligent batteries will usually mark the pack dead at this point, and you will not be able to charge it.

DO NOT leave a battery discharged, and risk forgetting. Always charge immediately to 60-100% when returning from a flight session.

**Don't keep recharging a pack again and again as it self-discharges to 95% after a day, or 60% after a few days. This stresses and damages the cells.

As a rule, only charge before flight, or to bring a battery that's been stored for a long time back up to 60%.

Check batteries and top them up to 60% every six months in storage.

Joel, come on over the hill to Santa Cruz... many spectacular places to fly.
When I look in Air Control I find that Santa Cruz is filled with wildlife protected regions and banned state parks. Please me a PM to say where one can fly in Santa Cruz to it corrupt this battery related thread.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rudyr