DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Battery disconnected during flight. Can I claim Warranty as manufacturer's fault?

dedomocho8

Reactions
Hi, I posted yesterday that I was flying my drone on the first day and lost it. Yes I'm a nooby, yes I didn't read enough tho fly that far. Yes, lesson learned. That being said, I asked for some help to read the logs at this forum and it seems like nothing indicates I crashed it, or the signal got lost, the battery died, or anything, it just disconnected form the controller and vanished into thin air. I did look AAAALL around the school where the last location was recorded (ground, roof and trees) and didn't find it.

Everything suggests that the battery umplugged. If that was the case, (I know it's hard to prove) Should DJI replace my drone do to a malfunction? I didn't have refresh, but I think the regular warranty should apply. Any similar experiences?

Here is the log if you want to check it out by yourself

https://app.airdata.com/share/IUVYXD

Thanks in advance!

Hi, I posted yesterday that I was flying my drone on the first day and lost it. Yes I'm a nooby, yes I didn't read enough tho fly that far. Yes, lesson learned. That being said, I asked for some help to read the logs at this forum and it seems like nothing indicates I crashed it, or the signal got lost, the battery died, or anything, it just disconnected form the controller and vanished into thin air. I did look AAAALL around the school where the last location was recorded (ground, roof and trees) and didn't find it.

Everything suggests that the battery umplugged. If that was the case, (I know it's hard to prove) Should DJI replace my drone do to a malfunction? I didn't have refresh, but I think the regular warranty should apply. Any similar experiences?
The problem is that you would need to prove that the incident was caused by a DJI issue.
The flight data doesn't show what happened, but it leaves disconnection as the most likely cause.
But what caused the battery disconnection?
Without being able to prove that, it doesn't look like something that would be a warranty case.
B
ut DJI have been known to be inconsistent and sometimes even replace when the cause was clearly operator error, so it's not possible to say what DJI will do.

Last edited:
Thanks for your kind response! I guess I should try to get a replacement or something from DJI just in case I got lucky.
That lead me into another question.i that normal at all? doesn't dji take responsability if there's no evidence of a pilot's error?

Thanks for your kind response! I guess I should try to get a replacement or something from DJI just in case I got lucky.
That lead me into another question.i that normal at all? doesn't dji take responsability if there's no evidence of a pilot's error?
For DJI to take responsibility they require to see evidence that the cause was a DJI issue.
When there is no evidence to show what happened, DJI don't assume responsibility.

Reactions: Galeforce1
Your first post, the analysis, some feedback . . .

LOST DRONE. Need advise to locate it

I agree with @Meta4 , DJI can be inconsistent at times.
It probably comes down to how they are approached, what mood the initial DJI agent is in, etc.

I did have a Mavic Pro replaced when it was my error (gimbal clamp) many years ago, yes it was early days of DJI consumer drones, and they seem to have tightened up a bit since . . . but, it's certainly worth a shot, and opening a service ticket and following their instructions to send them the aircraft (if found / recovered) or the flight log etc, as they deem necessary.

I don't know the protocol to do that now, but warranty stuff should be in with your drone paperwork, or online.

doesn't dji take responsability if there's no evidence of a pilot's error?
No. But, they might offer you a discount on a new drone.

I had a DJI FPV - when it came it was missing some components. I was told to send it back - DJI Refresh was ordered with that drone and when asked I was told they would put the new serial # in. They never did = i called back = was told it was in their system and most likely was a db update issue. I specificlaly asked if i was covered to fly and was (recorded the call) told YES. Well - I had an issue - it wasn’t covered - and after fighting for 3 weeks - decided it was easier to replace the drone = than deal with the people from (ordering i thiunk which is China) rather than keep explaining the same issue everytime I called in. I am totally losing faith in DJI and regret purchasing any of their UAV’S. I hope this feeling changes based on how they handle this new issue. I also have a Mavic 2s w/Refresh - I crashed into the only 1” pole in a football field head on (couldn’t do it agian if i tried). They sent me a replacement which seemed flakey from the start. Two days ago on my morning test flight on final approach to landing, I lost all control at around 400 feet in a banked left turn. I had absoultey no control of the drone and then things went black. I was in OPEN sky way above anything that could have impacted the UAV. The drone dropped like a rock into a parking lot which then looked like a mini-TSA wreckage site……..I am disabled with cancer and can’t keep putting out money like this…….This was one of my few things I can still do and was hoping to try and start a business to feel productive and get off disability.

I have had no luck with DJI in the past and after the 12-14 hours spent on my last issue am even hesitant to call because they made me feel like once they get their $ from you - there job is done………Any advice?

I have had no luck with DJI in the past and after the 12-14 hours spent on my last issue am even hesitant to call because they made me feel like once they get their $ from you - there job is done………Any advice?

Find and post your flight log here, let some analysis people take a look for you and see if they can spot the issue.
At least then you know how to approach DJI . . . eg. state pretty what might be found that indicates a DJI issue casued the incident etc.
Or, at least you'll know it was some kind of pilot error and get through this in a more productive way, focus on getting another aircraft and continue to fly.

Section 3 to find the flight log.

Edit - make a new post in the Crash section when you find and post the txt file, or the phantom help or airdata link.

Find and post your flight log here, let some analysis people take a look for you and see if they can spot the issue.
At least then you know how to approach DJI . . . eg. state pretty what might be found that indicates a DJI issue casued the incident etc.
Or, at least you'll know it was some kind of pilot error and get through this in a more productive way, focus on getting another aircraft and continue to fly.

Section 3 to find the flight log.

Edit - make a new post in the Crash section when you find and post the txt file, or the phantom help or airdata link.
Thank you all……... All I am trying to do is produce a product to save lives (for a SAR volunteer org), First I didn’t realize no SDK (for neither FPV or 2s) and then lost two aircraft in one week……you’d think after all these years I’d know to post in the proper section. My apologies and thanks again for the advice - if you’re wondering why i chose these its because we don’t have the funding for commercials. This comes out of my pocket which has lint in it after these past few years :) oh well i’ll keep plugging away at it…….it kills me to not be able to fly now though……

you’d think after all these years I’d know to post in the proper section. My apologies and thanks again for the advice

No worries, and it's probably more posting a new incident in someone elses post, gets confusing sometimes like above.

Hope you get it sorted out.

Reactions: lee8sec
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swigmofa